rowing and sciatica

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
2pontoons
Paddler

rowing and sciatica

Post by 2pontoons » June 29th, 2009, 11:45 pm

Has anyone found significant relief from severe sciatica pain through erging? I don't want to aggravate the problem by continuing to row, but if it can help, I'll surely keep up my training. My sciatica stems from too much heavy lifting [often the wrong way] so I know the rowing hasn't been the cause of the problem...just don't want to exacerbate it by rowing.

paul s
1k Poster

Post by paul s » June 30th, 2009, 8:58 am

I injured myself on the rower in 2005 by lunging too far forward. It left me with bad sciataca down my right leg. Oddly enough even though I had trouble walking for very long, I could still row without any problem. Of course I payed strict attention to form from that point on. The only way to find out is to try it, but form must be the #1, predominate thing in your rowing.

Cheerio, Paul Salata
69 - 270lbs - PB (Classified for reasons of embarressment)

2pontoons
Paddler

Post by 2pontoons » June 30th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Paul,
thanks for your reply. I am a bike rider as well and riding relieves the sciatica. Leaning forward in rowing like leaning forward on the bike stretches the spine but then you must bend it back each stroke. It is this constant back and forth movement that has me concerned. Will that movement irritate the nerve more? I guess I'll just try it and see how it feels.

mccartjt
Paddler

Post by mccartjt » October 26th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Hi guys

I know that this is an old posting however, I got an injection of my own platelet lysate & a very small amount of dexamethosone from my physician Dr Centeno in Broomfield Colorado. I was diagnosed with a bulging disc in my L5/S1 joint causing sciatica on my left leg. The dexamethosone ( a steroid) calmed down the inflammation of the disc rubbing against the sciatic nerve and the platelets have helped heal the bulging disc in my back. I was on course for doing a million meters in my first year of rowing I'd almost gotten half way there.

I am in recovery right now. It is 4 weeks since that injection in my back and whilst I am not yet perfect on my disc I am way way way better than I was..

Dr Centeno has his own lab and can create the above cocktail for sciatica if you are suffering from back issues. His website is http://www.regenexx.com . It may be a long way to travel, but I know I am grateful for his help.

Good luck

JM