Curious new rower

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.
Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » April 25th, 2008, 10:47 am

HeavyA wrote:Correction on that Question, I meant Rob Waddell. Although Siejkowski may also be 6'7".
He is 6'9"

Bob S.

badocter
2k Poster

Post by badocter » April 25th, 2008, 1:41 pm

HeavyA wrote:I got my rower in Jan. from this web site and I did actually check the setting in the system after reading some other posting concerning the subject and it is set at Model d/e.

Brian Oldfield
Cool. You have got some fantastic times Brian. :D
40, 6'2", 180# (versus 235# in July 2007)
www.freespiritsrowing.com
[img]http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/uploads/badocter/rowingpbtable.png[/img]

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » April 25th, 2008, 2:04 pm

HeavyA wrote:I got my rower in Jan. from this web site and I did actually check the setting in the system after reading some other posting concerning the subject and it is set at Model d/e.

I don't imagine that weight is as much a factor as strength and power, which doesn't automatically come with heavier weight. If I was 5'9" instead of 6'7" I believe that I would be quit slow at 318lbs and if I reach my goal of 275lbs I hope I will be faster than I am know. I noticed that Siejkowski is also 6'7, does anybody happen to know his weight?

"No man is entirely worthless, He can always serve as a bad example"

Brian Oldfield
Brian, get your 2k into the online rankings for 2008, you have until April 30th and your apparent ability to break 5:30 will not only be a huge Record Breaker, it will put you at the Top of the Rankings for All ages for the season. If you can wrangle a few witnesses and a video of it, or use the Logcard Utility to upload the performance it will be verfifiably one of the fastest times ever.

You don't have a Sister named Maura do you? (I coached a rower with your last name, long ago.) :D
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

HeavyA
Paddler

Post by HeavyA » April 25th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Sorry about the confusion. Brian Oldfield is actually the most famous shotputter of all times who smashed the world record by 3' back in the 70's. You may remember the old world strongman comps. that they used to show on the Telly from the 80's. He competed against Franco Columbo, Lou Ferrigno and ken Patera the world champion wrestler. I've had a chance to meet him twice, He was a great athlete. Unfortunatly he can barely walk these days.

Jeff Bain
Throw far

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » April 25th, 2008, 4:31 pm

HeavyA wrote:Sorry about the confusion. Brian Oldfield is actually the most famous shotputter of all times who smashed the world record by 3' back in the 70's. You may remember the old world strongman comps. that they used to show on the Telly from the 80's. He competed against Franco Columbo, Lou Ferrigno and ken Patera the world champion wrestler. I've had a chance to meet him twice, He was a great athlete. Unfortunatly he can barely walk these days.

Jeff Bain
Well, Welcome Jeff! But your Sub 5:30 2k on the Erg will make a 3' increase in shotput distance look like moving backwards (from looking it seems he was the first to use the "spin" technique that made a revolutionary change in how the shot was put. Wikipedia is great!).
OTOH, 1.6 seconds faster for the 2k WR is considered "smashing it", so we will have to come up with some reference to Nuclear Fission to describe what 10 times that would be.

Franco and Lou were kind of at opposite ends of the bodybuilding spectrum, height wise; did they really compete in strongman competitions, I've watched them (Strongman events) with interest since I was young but perhaps not enough frequency to have ever seen that.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

chickenlegs
Paddler

Post by chickenlegs » April 25th, 2008, 9:28 pm

summarizing...

height: about 2 m
weight: about 140 kg
rowing since: february 2008 (3 months of training at most)
athletic background: shotputting

1500 m at an average split of 1:20

for reference: m.pinsent and j.cracknell racing against each other (meaning they were not holding back) at the british indoor championship a few years ago completed 2000 m in just under 5'48" which is at an average of 1:27

nudge nudge wink wink

badocter
2k Poster

Post by badocter » April 26th, 2008, 12:15 pm

PaulS wrote: Brian, get your 2k into the online rankings for 2008, you have until April 30th and your apparent ability to break 5:30 will not only be a huge Record Breaker, it will put you at the Top of the Rankings for All ages for the season. If you can wrangle a few witnesses and a video of it, or use the Logcard Utility to upload the performance it will be verfifiably one of the fastest times ever.
For 2k WR to get in the record books:
http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/rankings.asp wrote:World Record Times
All 2000 meter record-breaking times must be rowed at a Concept2 sanctioned indoor rowing event with witnesses present. In addition all 2000 meter record-breaking times must be rowed on Concept2 Indoor Rowers without Slides.
The other distances do not require this. The events are a blast, you should go to one if you have a chance.
40, 6'2", 180# (versus 235# in July 2007)
www.freespiritsrowing.com
[img]http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/uploads/badocter/rowingpbtable.png[/img]

HeavyA
Paddler

Post by HeavyA » April 26th, 2008, 9:43 pm

Paul , great web site. Some very cool products. I'm really curious about the slings and if they would help me. I've been experiencing pain in my left arch after rowing. I also was rowing in my socks and I believe that pulling my weight back to the rower is the culprit. I've since switched to a pair of steel toe work boots for support and it's helping a little. the only thing I'm worried about is if my foot would stay in the strap and how it might change the pain to my heel.

These days with the popularity of strongman there are so many new ones that they never show the classics.

Chickenlegs your close. I actually never competed in track and field. I competed in the Scottish highland games for 10 years and this is where a lot of track throwers end up after their careers.

Unfortunatly I don't have any way to get my computer hooked up to my rower without getting a divorce and I have yet to use my logicard and wouldn't have a clue as to how to get that info in my computer. As far as competing goes, when your lucky to get one day off from work it's kind of hard to plan for something like that. It seems like all the rows are in Jan. and Feb. or do they just not list the whole year on the site?

Had some great rows today but, I think I need to get back to my 10 and 12ks. I'm becoming a little obsessed with this 2K. 3x2k. Times 5:40, 5:36 and 5:26.

Jeff
Throw far

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » April 26th, 2008, 10:54 pm

HeavyA wrote: Unfortunatly I don't have any way to get my computer hooked up to my rower without getting a divorce and I have yet to use my logicard and wouldn't have a clue as to how to get that info in my computer. As far as competing goes, when your lucky to get one day off from work it's kind of hard to plan for something like that. It seems like all the rows are in Jan. and Feb. or do they just not list the whole year on the site?
Jeff
You can enter it by hand, using this":

http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/l ... 5Franking/

Set up your own personal logbook on your computer. There is no big deal to entering your data unless you are doing a lot of interval stuff and want to list each one separately.

In the U.S. the major get-together meets are mostly in January and February. In England there are a lot more and they are spread a bit more throughout the year. However, there are a lot of virtual competitions going on all year round and around the world. Some of these are on line and require connecting up with a computer, but most of them are just send in your data type of competitions, some for teams and some for individuals.

Much of it is just Honor System, but there is also a C2 verification procedure that involves the use of the logcard. No big deal. If you do a ranked piece (500m, 1k, 2k, 5, 6k, 10k, 21097m ["half marathon"], 42195m ["full marathon"], 30', or 60'), you can get the display of a verification code on your monitor — I think that this works even without a logcard. If you enter the results of a completed piece in your logbook, you can have it listed in the ranking along with every one else and, using the the 16 digit hexadecimal code from the monitor, you can have it marked with a verification "V."

Bob S.

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » April 27th, 2008, 6:32 am

HeavyA wrote:

Had some great rows today but, I think I need to get back to my 10 and 12ks. I'm becoming a little obsessed with this 2K. 3x2k. Times 5:40, 5:36 and 5:26.

Jeff
This is great stuff. Former Highland Games winner and former USA discus thrower Jim McGoldrick has barely done 6:26, let alone 5:26, as his best competitive 2km. You're even better than ranger, Rod Freed, and Dwayne Adams all rolled into one.

HeavyA
Paddler

Post by HeavyA » April 27th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Jim McGoldrick is another great athlete. I modeled alot of my technic after JD when I first started and was able to compete against him for about 5 years before he retired. JD was already in his 40's when we started competing together and still a great thrower. I had no idea he was rowing as I haven't seen him about 5 years.

Jeff
Throw far

bigchief
Paddler

Post by bigchief » April 27th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Hey Bakes. Whadda ya mean, barely 6:26. PB was 6:21.9, with around 10 comps faster than 6:26. Geez o' Peas!

Hi Jeff. How are things? Glad to see you on the forum. Did you know that Grant Anderson, Carl Braun, and even wee Ali Gunn are erging?

Cheers from the Chief

HeavyA
Paddler

Post by HeavyA » April 27th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Hey Jim,

what a small world. Things have been good, Hope your well. Still living in San Jose? You know maybe we will have to have Highland games row-off, kilts mandatory of course. Dorothy says Hi.

Jeff
Throw far

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » April 28th, 2008, 8:25 am

bigchief wrote:Hey Bakes. Whadda ya mean, barely 6:26. PB was 6:21.9, with around 10 comps faster than 6:26. Geez o' Peas!
Easy for me to say, eh Jim? :D Maybe I was thinking about over-50 times? ( I guess that makes Jeff only 55.9 seconds faster than you, not a minute) Now that I'm past 60 myself my memory is less reliable. I know that you treated to many a free trip compliments of C2 for your outstanding erging. I am fully aware that you are Da Man! B)

I also notice that your 28# Weight for Distance throw of 83'11" still stands as the record. :shock:

Rick

bigchief
Paddler

Post by bigchief » April 28th, 2008, 11:53 am

Hi Rick. My 6:21.9 was done in 2003 at age 50, while trying to qualify for the Euro Indoor. And my 28# light weight for distance record was 88' 11". That was an American Record at the time, but has been bettered several times over the 20+ years since. (WR at the time was held by Geoff Capes at 91' 5".)

Just keeping you on your toes my friend.

Chief