Also a newbie: What's a Duck name?

swoz
Paddler

Also a newbie: What's a Duck name?

Post by swoz » March 24th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Just found this forum while searching the internet to buy an erg (see posting in General section), seems like a great community. So what does it mean to "join the ducks" and what's a "duck name?"

Alissa
2k Poster

Re: Also a newbie: What's a Duck name?

Post by Alissa » March 24th, 2006, 5:12 pm

swoz wrote:Just found this forum while searching the internet to buy an erg (see posting in General section), seems like a great community. So what does it mean to "join the ducks" and what's a "duck name?"
Hi Swoz. There are various "virtual teams" (see the "standings list." You can "join" a team when you create your "personal log" (just pick from the list at the bottom of the registration page--or edit your profile to make a change when you want to join a team). Some of the teams are based on profession or schools or other affiliations. Some of them are active on the forum, some of them are international, some local, some virtual (for instance, I'm in the "Iron Oarsman", since that's where I've been learning to use a C2 IRL). A "duck name" is typically desired by those who join "Ducks in a Row" sometimes referred to as "DIAR," which is a virtual rowing team for women.

If you decide to join DIAR, you may want a duck name too...but there may be (almost certainly are) other teams who will want you too! The meters that you log will benefit your team and contribute to their totals!

HTH,

Alissa

Sasha
500m Poster

Post by Sasha » March 24th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Can anybody join any team? Not that I want to ... just curious.

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » March 24th, 2006, 11:27 pm

Sasha wrote:Can anybody join any team? Not that I want to ... just curious.
Most teams seem to be very happy to have new members. For instance, I know that the Iron Oarsman will take you if you want to join. However there is at least one team that wants to hear from you first (they say so on the team list). Further, while most teams focus on total meters, those that are competing on meters/member might be more concerned about allowing members who haven't been "vetted." If they have a thread on the forum, you could check w/ them there...

BTW, all of the meters go back to zero May 1, so everyone will start from scratch again.

Alissa

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » March 25th, 2006, 2:09 am

There was a post on the old forum about the Ducks explaining what it was and how to join. Maybe someone will re-post that. The Ducks seem to welcome all comers. I think it's women only - someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » March 25th, 2006, 11:18 am

MomofJBN wrote:There was a post on the old forum about the Ducks explaining what it was and how to join. Maybe someone will re-post that. The Ducks seem to welcome all comers. I think it's women only - someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi Schenley,

You're right, Ducks in a Row ("Ducks" or "DIAR") is a women's team. There was an article about virtual teams featuring DIAR and the Ancient Mariners in one of the C2 Newsletters. While I don't have the instructions that were on the DIAR thread, I do happen to have instructions I posted for Yoda on the old forum:
1. Go to your on-line log, then to your profile (click the box at the top--next to the "logout" button).

2. That takes you to your "Profile Settings"--right below that, click on "edit profile" which takes you to a page labeled "Edit Profile for Online Ranking/Logbook."

3. On that page, scroll nearly to the bottom...you're looking for "University/Club Standings Affiliation". When you find that, there's a drop down menu. Find the team you want to be on, then choose that so that it appears in the window.

4. Finally, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on the button that says "Update Profile."

That should do it!
Alissa

Wood_Duck
1k Poster

Post by Wood_Duck » March 25th, 2006, 11:27 am

I tried to access the orignal post.... but I couldn't find it.

The theory behind the "Ducks In a Row," DIAR, is a bunch of women rowers of all ages and abilities "flocking" together for support and encouragement and fun!

I joined DIAR because I am new to exercise and need loving and understanding and the company of others. I found experienced rowers, and athletes from other sports, and beginners like me. Some are fast and some are slow. Some row for a few minutes, other row for longer. All have shared advice and encouragement and support.

You can read about DIAR and other virtual teams in the C2 Fall 2005 Newsletter http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... Fall05.pdf

There are many different teams out there. One that is "rowing around the world" (you can follow their progress on Google Earth), teams based on where you live or row, teams based on college affiliations, teams based on losing weight. Check around. There is more information in the newsletter.

You will find lots of help all over the concept2 website from athetes and experienced rowers on and off the water and new exercisers and there is no need to join a team.

The key is row, have fun, and get healthy! Good Luck!

Susan aka Wood_Duck
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
1st row 11/23/04; 1 MM 3/20/06; 2 MM 6/9/07; 3 MM 5/15/08; 1st 2k: 1/28/07 (9:04.2); 1st MARATHON! 4/19/06 (4:42:42.9)