Rowing partner sought by someone with inflammatory arthritis

CandaceVan
Paddler

Post by CandaceVan » November 8th, 2007, 2:19 am

I've had my Concept2 rower for at least seven years, and at one time I was rowing long and hard on it, every day. But then my inflammatory arthritis flared, and with increasing frequency the pain in my shoulders or wrists or elbows or knees would stop my workouts. It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't have arthritis, but when you pull on the handle and it feels like your arm may fall off, well, that's a distinct disincentive.

For a time I gave up erg'ing altogether, waiting for my rheumie to get my arthritis "under control." This year, which is something like year six of my "flare," my rheumie admitted that at this point, it's not really a "flare" anymore -- it's just how things are.

I've spent the last couple of years slowly rebuilding my tolerance for exercise. Aquatic workouts, tai chi, and working out on a recumbent bike have been the forms of exercise I could tolerate. And I've managed, via diet and exercise, to lose 70 of the pounds that medications (like prednisone) and illness had packed onto me.

But I miss rowing. It's the one land-based exercise that I've ever been able to go at, full-tilt, without disabling pain. And so, once again, I'm starting to row. I have to wear braces on my knees, elbows, and wrists to do so, and I have to discipline myself to row gently and slowly (lest I injure myself) -- but I'm ever-so-carefully getting back into it.

Now, it seems as though "disability" in the rowing world means amputations or cerebral palsy or mental handicaps. While someone with inflammatory arthritis doesn't meet those standards of disability, in the real world, I'm completely disabled by my arthritis. And I wish that Concept2 would offer support for my kind of disabled rower.

I read the "getting started" information, and what's suggested is just not appropriate for someone who's trying to ease their way back into an activity that, if pursued too aggressively, could cause worsened symptoms. "No pain, no gain" is _not_ a viable strategy for someone like me. The slogan should be more like, "Easy does it." :)

Are there any other women in this forum who are trying to row despite having rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or some other form of inflammatory arthritis? Is anyone like that looking for an online rowing partner? Maybe we could start our own virtual rowing club and call it "Gimps in a Row"! :wink:

But I'd settle for finding an appropriate virtual rowing buddy. I'm 54 years old, and I'm still 49 pounds over a "normal" weight for my height of 5-foot-six. And as I've said, despite my former experience, I'm starting all over again.

If you're interested, let me know.

--Candace

Sicilianna
Paddler

Post by Sicilianna » November 9th, 2007, 10:33 pm

Hello Candace,

Allow me to begin by saying that I'm very pleased to have found your post. My name is Anna, but I've registered as Sicilianna as there is someone else who contributes with that name. I will be 54 in February. . My husband, John, has only just assembled our newly purchased Concept 2 this very afternoon. I wasn't quite sure where or how to begin taking part in this online community, until your letter caught my eye.

I have pretty severe osteo-arthritis as a long term side effect of AEDs (Anti-Epileptic Drugs) I've been on Dilantin since age 12. I have left temporal lobe epilepsy, with Grand Mal and Simple Partial seizures. Dilantin has given me wonderful control over the years, but beginning with perimenopause and now menopause, the risks to my well being now outweigh the benefits of seizure control. As a result, I've been working with a new epileptologist since last February to gradually reduce the one medication and introduce another without experiencing a generalized seizure. So far, so good. I've not had a Grand Mal in almost 7 years. However, Dilantin has left me with Peripheral neuropathy, bone loss in my jaw, osteopenia, osteo- arthritis in my knees and feet, not to mention one nasty Lisfranc injury to my right foot. I strongly suspect the arthritis is in my spine and shoulders as well. The impact of this pain upon my mobility has caused me to decline invitations to take part in the simplest of physical activities. I don't want this pattern to continue, and feel this MUST be the year that I become active once more. I need to lose about 55 lbs that being inactive, quitting smoking 12 years ago and taking medications has packed on my 5'2" frame. (I once was 5'3") If I don't make physical activity part of my daily life, I will be choosing a future full of ill health for myself. My husband needs to become active as well, so we thought the Concept2 would be gentle on the joints, but an effective well rounded workout.

And Candace, I agree with you whole-heartedly. This community needs to recognize arthritis as the disability it is. Arthritis has impacted on the quality of my life in a way that my epilepsy never has! (If a reader finds that difficult to believe, then they simply do not understand how painful and devastating arthritis can be.)

So, if you are willing, I'd like to try to be a partner with you. I'm new at this and somewhat intimidated by all the terminology and math, but I suppose understanding will come with time and experience. Given our shared concerns, we can certainly encourage each other in "starting all over again".

How does "Marrow Row" sound? :wink:

Be well,

Sicilianna (Anna in NY)
"...Only God never changes."
St. Theresa of Avila

CandaceVan
Paddler

Post by CandaceVan » November 10th, 2007, 12:32 am

Dear Anna/Sicilianna,

How nice to see your response to my posting! It's wonderful to know that I'm not the only one with these issues.

(BTW, I, too, have epilepsy. Before I went on CPAP therapy for sleep apnea, I used to have nocturnal grand mal seizures, and I've had partial seizures for as long as I can remember. Currently, I'm on Neurontin, which is working well for me.)

I do a lot of online work with chronically ill people, and I find that most think I'm nuts to be as determined as I am to keep active. But I do believe that when we don't move our bodies, we're encouraging a real downward slide, health-wise. So hats off to you (and your husband) for investing in an "Erg."

When I haven't rowed in a while, I have to give my body time to get used to doing it again. The first day I might row, very gently, for five minutes. The second day, I might do two slow, easy, five-minute rows. Then a day off. Then, perhaps one five-minute row, a break, and then a gentle, easy, slow ten-minute row. This might seem ridiculously slow to most people, but for me the game is to gently increase my body's ability to tolerate the exercise without injuring my tender joints.

If I get impatient and to too much, too fast, or row too strongly, I risk having to take time off to mend and then start all over again.

Since you're starting for the very first time, I'd take it _very_ slowly and gently.

Since the 1st of the month I've rowed on five days, and tonight I was able to do my first 30-minute row. I only covered 5,078 meters, and my average wattage (which reflects how strongly I row) was only 62.1W, but at this point the slower and weaker I row, the better.

As I get stronger, there'll be plenty of time to go faster. Right now, going at all is the goal!

Let me know how you do!

--Candace

CandaceVan
Paddler

Post by CandaceVan » November 10th, 2007, 1:04 am

Dear Anna in NY/Sicilianna,

BTW, I forgot to tell you that my Ranking ID # is 6239. If you set up a profile in the logbook section, there's a place in your profile where you can enter the ID # of one or more people with whom you'd like to partner. That way, we can see how each other are doing.

--Candace

Sicilianna
Paddler

Post by Sicilianna » November 11th, 2007, 2:13 am

Dear Candace,
What a coincidence to learn that you too have epilepsy. Keppra is the new medication that we're using to replace Dilantin. It seems to be a good match on many levels.
I do not think you are "nuts" at all in your determination to remain active. I'm glad to see that you're not letting the opinions of others get in the way of your goals. You are correct; We must move our bodies. I forget where I saw this, but one of the exercise gurus on television once said, "Move or die". That's succinct, no?
Peripheral neuropathy can have flare up periods for me, kind of like MS. At its worst, my legs feel extremely heavy. Coordination can be difficult. Last spring was a pretty bad time for me. The neuropathy was in 'full swing' , so to speak, and the arthritis in my knees caused excruciating pain, especially when at rest. I used a cane all spring and throughout July.
Kudos to you for being able to recognize what you need to do in order to pace yourself well and guard against injury. I thought of what you wrote when I began to feel my neck tighten up during my row session yesterday. I immediately relaxed my body and took a much slower pace. It paid off. I managed to row 10 minutes without stopping and went about 1000 meters. Not very far, but it's a start. (I have the wheel set very low at 3)
My iPod charger is missing...I shall have to find it for tomorrow's session. I'm going to shoot for 10 minutes again, but go past that if I'm feeling strong and steady.
I haven't yet found the profile section in the logbook..... I'll have to keep searching. When I finally locate it, I'll put your ranking number in.

Buona fortuna a te! Good luck to you!

Sicilianna
St. Theresa of Avila

Sicilianna
Paddler

Post by Sicilianna » November 11th, 2007, 7:34 pm

Hello again Candace,
This morning I rowed for 31 minutes or so, yet I lost all the information by clicking the wrong button it seems. I do remember that my average wattage was around 41. If you say your average of 61 wasn't very strong, then I've certainly a long way to go.
I may row abit before bed tonight, listening to some Zucchero. Italian Euro-pop goes amazingly well with my "erging efforts". :wink:
Be well,
Anna in NY
St. Theresa of Avila

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » November 12th, 2007, 3:43 pm

Sicilianna wrote:(I have the wheel set very low at 3)
Welcome Anna and Candace. I applaud you guys for your determination to be fit and active. Sometimes I have enough trouble getting my so-called able body into gear. :lol:

I wanted to correct a common misconception - that a low number on the damper (wheel) is bad. It's not! In fact, 3 is probably a pretty common setting. To truly know what you are pulling against, you need to look up your drag factor. From the PM menu, look under More Options (or something like that - I'm not at my erg). When you find the choice that shows Drag Factor, select that. Then you will need to pull a few strokes to see what the drag factor is. You use the damper setting to increase or decrease the drag factor, but other things like dust and altitude also impact the drag factor. Drag factor is the only way to make a good comparison between 2 different ergs.

Here's the analogy I've hear for the damper settings - up at 10, it's like rowing a huge heavy wooden boat. As the damper comes down, you have a lighter, sleeker boat. You want the damper high enough to get some resistance, but not so hard that you have to pull massively hard just to move the flywheel.

Keep on pulling! :)

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

Sicilianna
Paddler

Post by Sicilianna » November 13th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Hello Schenley,

Thank you for your very kind welcome ! I look forward to learning much in the next few weeks and must thank you for your terrific analogy concerning the damper settings. I left it at 3 yesterday and rowed for 30 minutes plus some. I rowed a total of 5,466 metters and my average wattage was 58.5.

While I've only been at this 3 days, I've got to say that I notice something unexpected happening. I don't feel so "tight" in my body. My back feels far more flexible than it has is quite a while. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, as I'm beginning to work some muscles (and bones) in a way that they've not been utilized in many years. I feel as though my upper half is "waking up".

Question: Those of us facing bone loss are told to do weight bearing exercises in order to build bone. If the action of muscle pulling on bone is indeed bone building, is rowing then beneficial to us in this way? It's not weight lifting, but I can't help thinking that the "pulling" action must have the same benefits. Am I correct on that point? I'd love to have some input on that.

Mille Grazie,
A Thousand Thanks,

Sicilianna in NY
St. Theresa of Avila

Sicilianna
Paddler

Post by Sicilianna » November 14th, 2007, 2:01 am

Hello Candace,
I hope you are well. I rowed for 30 minutes tonight, and raised the damper to 4. I came out of it with 4257 meters and a wattage of 37. I have to say that I'm feeling it in my knees, so tomorrow, I'm going back to a damper setting of 3.

Hi Schenley,
Taking your advice, I went to the "options" button and did find the drag factor info. At a damper setting of 3 my drag factor was around 110. Set at 4 it was 120. I think I'll be more comfortable at the lower setting.

Ciao per addesso! Bye for now!

Anna
St. Theresa of Avila

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » November 14th, 2007, 7:42 pm

Here's a link to the C2 site where they report on some research on erging and osteoporosis: http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/c ... orosis.asp. I, too, hope that erging "counts" as exercise to prevent osteoporosis.

Just for comparison, my drag factor is at 90. Keep messing around with the damper to see what you prefer.

Good job on those 30 min distances. :D

Oh, and I forgot to say last time - you can form a group if you want, but you are also more than welcome to join the Ducks. We don't fuss about how far or how fast our fellow quackers can go. :wink:

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » November 15th, 2007, 12:48 am

MomofJBN wrote: I wanted to correct a common misconception - that a low number on the damper (wheel) is bad. It's not! In fact, 3 is probably a pretty common setting. To truly know what you are pulling against, you need to look up your drag factor. From the PM menu, look under More Options (or something like that - I'm not at my erg). When you find the choice that shows Drag Factor, select that. Then you will need to pull a few strokes to see what the drag factor is. You use the damper setting to increase or decrease the drag factor, but other things like dust and altitude also impact the drag factor. Drag factor is the only way to make a good comparison between 2 different ergs.
Schenley
I would like to add a couple of minor points to Schenley's excellent comments. Like dust and altitude, the temperature and local atmospheric pressure also have an effect on the drag factor. As an example, I did a 40' piece yesterday. The temperature in the room at the start was 61.9° F and the DF on my ergometer came out at 119. After the workout, the room temperature had gone up to 64.6° F and the DF had dropped to 117.

Incidentally, just to demonstrate how the relationship is affected by altitude, my damper setting was at 5, but I live at 4,000 ft. elevation, so I get a lower DF at that setting than I would get at sea level. (Yes, the machine is clean.)

I don't have a barometer, so I have never checked on the effect of changes in the atmospheric pressure resulting from the weather.

My point in bringing this up is to point out that it is not a bad idea to check out the DF on a routine basis even if you use the same setting on the same machine and keep it free of dust in the cage.

Bob S.

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » November 17th, 2007, 8:31 pm

Altitude is a factor for sure. At my parents' house (approx 700'), I had the damper set between 2 and 3 and got a DF of about 97. At home, at 7,000' I have the damper between 3 and 4 and get a DF of 90. Granted, that's on 2 different ergs, but it gives you an idea.

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff

Sicilianna
Paddler

Post by Sicilianna » November 19th, 2007, 9:04 pm

Hi Candace,
I hope that all is well. I finally figured out how to enter your ranking and uploaded my workouts thus far. My ranking number is 407550.
Have a peaceful Thanksgiving,
Anna
St. Theresa of Avila

larkl
Paddler

Re: Rowing partner sought by someone with inflammatory arthr

Post by larkl » January 5th, 2008, 5:26 pm

CandaceVan wrote:I've had my Concept2 rower for at least seven years, and at one time I was rowing long and hard on it, every day. But then my inflammatory arthritis flared, and with increasing frequency the pain in my shoulders or wrists or elbows or knees would stop my workouts.
Try and find out if you have food intolerances. A lot of people with rheumatoid arthritis say they're affected by foods, if they just avoid milk or whatever they feel a lot better. You can find your food intolerances by an elimination diet. I have a website at http://www.lightlink.com/lark/elimination.html that explains how to do one.

I'm gluten intolerant (celiac disease probably) which is an autoimmune disease, as RA is. I had a lot of knee pain while running before I found my many food intolerances. I could run every day with no pain after I quit eating foods I'd developed reactions to. Also the food reactions I had after doing an elimination diet (food reactions are hidden before doing the diet) often involved my joints getting stiff and inflamed, and joint pain.

I don't have RA. I got checked for it, because people with one autoimmune disease are likely to have others. But my inflammatory reactions to foods support the idea that food reactions could cause RA.

Laura