Holiday Challenge 2006!

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » December 4th, 2006, 6:30 pm

snappy-I sympathize-I'm on drugs for a bladder infection right now. I think stess definitely contributes to all the health stuff you are going through.

Hang in there. If you can try hard to say 'no' to some of the demands being made on your time. It's hard if you are super-responsible, but try counting to 5 before you commit to a task. On the other hand, if you hadn't taken me up on my challenge, I wouldn't be faithfully doing my 30 minutes every other day.

Thanks!! grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

snappyrower
Paddler

Post by snappyrower » December 4th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Thanks grams! Unfortunately work is a really rough place right now. We're being reorganized, and to top it most people at work are taking massive amounts of time off to make sure they don't lose time off at the end of the year. I'm very behind. :( Tie that with the weekend job.... i may be stretching what is possible with the challenge, but i really want it! :) Anyway, feeling a lot better today. Not 100%, still tired, but getting there. Did a "Just Row" workout, so I don't have an exact 30 minute for you......... it was very, very, very slow. I'm hoping to feel much better tomorrow to get you a "real" row. :)

32:39.7 = 5102 meters.

Birdi
500m Poster

Ducks now in 6th Place!

Post by Birdi » December 5th, 2006, 11:47 am

WOO HOO, looks like another new member joined and with all of us churning up the waters for the HC, Ducks have moved back up to #6! I know this HC really gets me motivated and even tho I am new to the Ducks I'm really enjoying the team feeling! Keep those ERGS spinning Girls!

Birdi

Rachel Kang

Post by Rachel Kang » December 6th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Hi everyone!

I read Gram's friendly holiday challenge a few days ago, and have been trying to psyche myself to get on my rower since then. Finally did it today, with a 30 minute row, 4,583 meters .

Got my rower as a birthday '05 & '06/Christmas '05 & '06 present, to help ward off Seasonal Affective Disorder, up here in the NW, but have never managed to be consistent :oops: .

Hope to get on the wagon with all of you, although even the 100K challenge may not be in reach right now

snappyrower
Paddler

Post by snappyrower » December 6th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Welcome Rachel! Great row.

I think i'm out for the 100k challenge now too. I'm still gonna be in for the 30 minute every other day if i can just get and stay well. Stomach bug last night and today. :shock: Had to miss the office holiday party today, kind of bummed. Am eating soup and feeling a bit better, hoping to be back on track tomorrow.

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » December 6th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Hi Rachel, glad to see so many Pacific NW people here! Yeah! Erg on! Go Ducks! Go Girls! B)

Birdi

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » December 6th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Snappy, hope you get feeling better real quick! Soup, tea and rest.
You don't have to be the best, all you have to do is keep at it. Pain is only weakness leaving your body. Nahongvita!

dnl17
Paddler

holiday challenge catch up

Post by dnl17 » December 6th, 2006, 11:32 pm

Hi All - I'm new to the forum, though I've lurked here in the past. I'm trying to catch up and get my meters in for the 100,000 challenge -- last year I didn't quite make it as I was pregnant and tired... baby in june, new job in august, new house in october... and the erg now has its own room (!) but I haven't found much time to use it... thus, the holiday challenge is just what I need. I'm at about 40K now -- and if I get up to 100,000 for the challenge, I'll also make the million meters mark... so I'm ready to do it. My rows are slow, but I'm just glad to be back. Looking forward to shedding the last few baby pounds as I rediscover the fun of the erg.

Looking forward to it all!

stargazertechie
500m Poster

Post by stargazertechie » December 7th, 2006, 11:34 am

I crossed the finish line at 8:00 this morning. 200k never felt quite this good!

It doesnt end here though, I've still got to crank out another 200k before christmas to stay on track for my collegiate team.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi: Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

Kiwi_Rower
Paddler

Post by Kiwi_Rower » December 7th, 2006, 11:39 am

Congratz Stargazer!!!
Jane (Movin' Duck in Ducks In A Row) 304,207m
500m 2:03.0 2000m 9:23.9 5000m 23:55.8 6000M 29:17.4 10000m 51:52.5

"Once we know and understand our strengths, we can use them to compensate and correct for our weaknesses" - Gary Shank

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » December 7th, 2006, 11:59 am

Stargazer, BIG congrats! You go Girl! WOO HOO! Com'on Ducks lets go catch up with her....paddle, paddle, paddle.....
You don't have to be the best, all you have to do is keep at it. Pain is only weakness leaving your body. Nahongvita!

Hapa
Paddler

Post by Hapa » December 7th, 2006, 1:08 pm

DNL - You're doing great w/ 40 K already, you're definitely on track for the 100 K challenge and getting to your first million! That first million feels great!

Stargazer - BIG congrats from me also, getting to 200 K in two weeks is awesome!! Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration for the rest of us.

Well, I'm at about 76 K so I'm still on track for the 200 K, I'd like to maybe get to 250 this year.

Keep up the good work everyone, the important thing is just to use the HC as motivation to get on the erg and reach whatever goal you set for yourself.

Aiko

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » December 7th, 2006, 4:36 pm

I wasn't a happy camper this week (see sacroiliac post under 'Health'). Only minor pain today, and I did 5735 meters for my 30 minutes. I'm 58,300 meters towards the HC.

Keep up the effort and the posts, ladies. I need the motivation. I figure if you can do it, I can do it.

Thanks,

Grams
Last edited by grams on December 7th, 2006, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

LittleBit
Paddler

Post by LittleBit » December 7th, 2006, 5:07 pm

Hi to all the Quackers on the Forum or "lurking" like I have been lately!!

I hadn't completely quit the erg - just not as faithful as I would like. I'm now about 35K for the HC, so jogging along, so to speak. I'm hoping to do more than 100K, but not sure about time & effort needed to do the 200K. A certificate for 150K sounds great right now!!

Huge CONGRATS to Stargazer - way to go!!

Kiwi-Rower - there is nothing wrong with every day - I have done that before, but have to watch not to get too sore.

GRAMS - Glad to see you are back to challenge us all - you are truly an inspiration when I try to sit on the "pity pot" and start feeling sorry for myself!!

GO DUCKS - something about the HC does bring us out & back in contact.

By the way, is C2 doing the virtual challenge again in Jan?? Anyone know??

Keep rowing & talk to you soon.
Catherine in Southern Indiana

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » December 7th, 2006, 6:55 pm

I love checking in here and seeing how good everyone sounds, so positive. I'm feeling better at this point, after not even beginning until the 5th day and feeling so mad at myself for letting myself slip for a couple of months.... I am just now starting to see improvements in my times, my strength...feels great! I'm at 90,224 so I feel confident I can exceed my last year's 205254. God willing and if my sprained knee doesn't get any worse than it is. I rowed last year with foot surgery and now a fused joint in my right foot and permanent pain but no pain is as bad as meeting a goal is good! Even my blisters on my hands have turned back to calluses!
I love this HC and really glad to have found the Ducks! Thanks everyone!