rowing through menopause

kit44
Paddler

rowing through menopause

Post by kit44 » November 28th, 2006, 9:19 am

I'm sure someone out there must have gone through this before me! We moved not too long ago and I've yet to find a doctor, to ask about this, so I'm looking to the rowing women for answers instead!
I'm 47, 5'4" and a smidge under 120 lbs, with a body fat percentage arund 15%. I usually row around 100km/month, except for during the HC! After 2 years of intermittent hot flashes and night sweats, my period just up and left - as did the night sweats. I realize I'm very thin and muscular, which probably contributes to the lack of periods - but could my training have accelerated menopause and gotten me through it without grief? And if so, does anyone out there think I need to be concerned about missing all the crap that's supposed to be affiliated with menopause? Or should I just get myself to a doctor and ask her/him what's going on? Any input would be appreciated!

snappyrower
Paddler

Post by snappyrower » November 28th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Not there yet, so no real insight, but you may want to consider getting your doc to do a baseline bone scan. By staying active you can help hold osteoporosis at bay, but always good to know if you're progressing that way. (my best friend got it in her 20's and didn't know to look for it until her mother got a baseline at 50 and it was terribly advanced). Hope someone has other insight. :)

loonylady
Paddler

Post by loonylady » November 29th, 2006, 8:12 pm

I don't have much to offer really but I can tell you I made it through that time with none of the grief either. I would guess that is more an individual thing based on your heredity rather than anything else but like I said, that is just a guess. I would definitely recommend an annual physical, especially at this time, just to be sure all is the way it should be. Good luck!

Carol
Loonylady
Member of Ducks In A Row

kit44
Paddler

Post by kit44 » November 30th, 2006, 9:50 am

Thanks, ladies, for the input and advice - I actually had an extensive physical at the very start of symptoms two years ago - we were about to move to an underserviced area, and my doctor decided to cover everything that might need to be covered for the next year. I've had the bone density scan - and did you know rowing is no protection against osteoporosis? My parents both have it, and I was showing early symptoms, so strength training became part of my routine then, as well as the twice daily calcium pill (as well as rowing, walking has been my weight bearing exercise for years) We still have no family doctor - whcih is why I turn to forums I trust for medical advice, since finding a doctor to do a physical is not as easy as it should be. And how ridiculous is this - no sooner did I ask the question than proof that menopause is not over arrived. Sigh.
Anyway - thanks again - I've made notes.
Kit