Callusses on fingers - Gloves???

che
Paddler

Callusses on fingers - Gloves???

Post by che » December 2nd, 2008, 9:49 am

Hi,
I have been using ergs for a couple of years now. I usually use cycling gloves and lately have switched to the flat palm covers.

I suffer from callusses just below the first finger joints on most of my fingers.

Is there anything i can do to prevent these?

Should I be wearing gloves? Are these causing the callusses or would I get them anyway?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Che

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » December 3rd, 2008, 2:22 am

Rowing has always led to hard hands and always will, it's what we do it for. Hard hands mean hard muscle. The only way to limit it, if you must, is to pull a bit longer (length and time) but less hard and hook the fingers rather than grip the handle. Cycling, swimming, gymnastics and climbing mountains do not give you hard hands, so are quite useless in this respect.

In any case the rubber handles in use to day are far kinder than the rough groovy wooden things we used fifty years ago, you won't see anywhere near the same amount of blood.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

WDDF
Paddler

Post by WDDF » December 11th, 2008, 8:48 am

I use my cycling gloves with gel padding on the palms. Started doing this partly because of my arthritis and partly due to the callusses. That reduced my calluses on my palms just below my fingers, as well as on the fingers where you were mentioning.

I also read on another forum (can't recall which one) that some ergers are wrapping their handles with wrist sweat bands, which absorb the sweat - thus reducing the callusses from blisters. I started using a small pair of socks over the handle grips and this really does absorb the sweat - especially if you sweat like I do!

I agree with james, though, that not gripping so hard makes a big, big difference. And know that you will get some tough hands along the way. Experiment a bit and figure out what works best for you - - I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Just don't give up!

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » December 11th, 2008, 11:00 am

New Grips!!!
These are awesome and work wonders!!!

Pat
Team TimbukTOO
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

lightweight8
Paddler

Post by lightweight8 » December 11th, 2008, 3:28 pm

I ordered the new grips and don't like them at all. I found them to be very bulky.

I would be happy to sell them if anyone is interested! :)
Trisha in SW Florida
Rowed competitively in college...
Now just erging for fitness!

WDDF
Paddler

Post by WDDF » December 12th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Which new grips are you talking about? Is there a part # so I can look them up on the Concept2 website?

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » December 12th, 2008, 2:41 pm

They aren't on the Concept2 web site..they are on www.newgrip.com. There is a section for indoor rowers.I love mine and wouldn't row without them.

Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

djh
1k Poster

Post by djh » March 3rd, 2009, 6:26 pm

I'm very happy with Nike Fundamental Training Gloves. They're not made of leather. (NewGrip makes a big deal about the "better" gloves being made out of leather, whichever gloves those are.) They're very lightweight: there's practically nothing covering the backs of the hands. They go in the washing machine after each use and have come out fine many times.

But if I develop arthritis in my hands like my Dad I can imagine graduating to something more serious like NewGrips.
Doug
64 yrs/176 cm/74⅞ kg/8400 km
Lifetime: Image

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » March 3rd, 2009, 6:32 pm

I love my New Grips and won't row without them..my Carpal Tunnel symptoms almost disappeared but I do have my good old standby rowing gloves too.It comes down to whatever works for you.

best of luck..

Pat
B)
Team Captain TIMBUK2 WRC2009

excellence
Paddler

Post by excellence » March 9th, 2009, 2:37 am

I use a pair of leather and mesh weightlifting gloves, and they're great. The mesh is on the top of the hand, and the leather is on the palm, and there is a velcro opening. They're very lightweight, breathable, and flexible. I too saw the grips and found them cumbersome. Mine - Kmart - $9.99.

Caroline
Paddler

gloves for rowing

Post by Caroline » March 31st, 2009, 5:28 pm

Like one of the previous posts, i also use my mountain biking gloves for indoor rowing - they have a gel section which protects the hands a bit.
I also agree that not holding handles so hard helps, i have hurt my hands in the past (top of hand) from gripping too tightly.