Help please-patella problems and rowing

toryb
Paddler

Help please-patella problems and rowing

Post by toryb » September 9th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Hey all - it's been a while since I've been here. Mine is a sad story (of sheer stupidity, aren't they all?) - last year I thought I was going to be past my million meter mark by this point. Unfortunately, I stopped rowing for a while and then got back on the rower (a little too quickly I think, with a little too much fervor) and started having problems.

I was diagnosed with patella-femoral syndrome - (a condition with pain beneath the kneecap, pretty broad definition I think) - so I started seeing the PT guy and he started me on a program to strengthen & loosen my hamstrings and hips, which seemed to be working ... then uhm - I broke my wrist. BAD - badly enough I had to have a metal plate put in. (sigh) That took me off my rower until now (bad break) :roll:.

Anyhoo, it's been since probably last fall when I was rowing seriously. Possibly last spring if I'm serious about it (as in Spring of 2007). Here are my questions for you ladies - Do you have knee problems? If so, what have you found that helps? Do you adjust your foot position? I know techinque is important (don't worry, I know that one already!) but I'm wondering if there's anything specific I could be doing? On or off the rower suggestions are appreciated! :D

My patella seems to be slipping around - Kinesio taping seems to be helping - but when it "floats," my quads (edit: previously glutes - don't know why I was focused on my rear end so much at 3 AM in the morning - LOL) seem to feel like they're tearing. Very unpleasant and painful. The most frustrating part is that I can only get in about 2,000 meters before this starts to happen - though I think I can diligently work up to more if I don't quit.

So, suggestions? Anyone else experienced something similar? Please don't be snarky about my stupidity in injuring myself twice over - believe me I've taken enough beating up about that :oops: from both myself and others - I just want back on my rower ..... :cry: And thank you all in advance for your patience and assistance.
Last edited by toryb on September 10th, 2008, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Tory~
"Just Ducky!"
(Erging & Weight Watcher-ing my way to 150 from 165 - 5'10 1/2")
Will row for food!

Renee
Paddler

Post by Renee » September 10th, 2008, 8:50 am

Mmm,
did you talk to your pt ? They usually have rowers in PT places so they may be able to show you exactly what to do.

I don't have knee problem however the only thoughts I have on the issue would be to keep your damper low and maybe not having your seat come up to close to your feet (so your legs are not bent that much) at the start of the catch?

Maybe the best thing to do is figure out what exactly makes your knee uncomfortable and change that. If your knee feels bad when you straighten your leg out all the way, then straighten it out less. start slooooow and pay attention to how you feel. Then as you gain strength challenge yourself a little more.

An accident may happen in one day but recovery takes years. Sorry, I know you probably don't want to here that! I injured my hand in college and it took over 5 years until I was able to actually back to "normal". Now I just have the scars to prove that I had an injury but you wouldn't be able to tell now. Make sure you take it sloooow and give yourself time.

best of luck
-rj

toryb
Paddler

Post by toryb » September 10th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Renee - thanks for the feedback. My PT didn't have any rowers - he actually had me on the bike most of the time, and doing resistance training.

I think the "tearing" sensation from my quads, which happens just above the kneecap where I THINK it connects to the patella itself (previously I said glutes - heh heh - wasn't very anatomically correct yesterday, huh?) happens near the catch, when my legs are fully bent (which makes sense if it's floating). Being 5'11", and pretty short in the torso (all leg), my poor legs have to bend really far to get me to the catch. I can't seem to find the "right" setting for my feet, either. Perhaps .... Do you (or does anyone else) have a suggestion where I might find some good information on selecting the right foot position setting?

Thanks again :). I can't wait to get myself back to the rower - I miss it so much ....
~Tory~
"Just Ducky!"
Will row for food!

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » September 10th, 2008, 1:29 pm

Since you only addressed this to the Ladies, I won't be offended if you ignore or don't read the following....

Rene's advice is really good. However I don't have a lot of faith in PTs--They often have some really good advice and some not so good advice. If they suggest something that seems wrong or makes you hurt a little more don't do it.

The rule of thumb is that the ankle should be at the top of the rail. But I would vary it around that and see if it makes any difference in how your knee feels.
I had a knee injury and ended up rowing arms and back only for a year or so. You could try some of that. Or as Rene said, row with less compression.
Also try strapless that may make some difference.

toryb
Paddler

Post by toryb » September 10th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Nosmo - I addressed the question to the ladies only because from what I was told, "patellafemoral syndrome" is more common in women than men :). Any advice appreciated!

I should try rowing strapless, but I find it really hard to get my technique right. My recovery phase (correct terminology I think??) suffers.

As for the rowing arms/back only - I actually watched a video on technique on the Concept 2 UK site and decided to try some 1/4 and 1/2 slide rowing today. Combined with some serious Kinesio tape (yay the things I learned from the Olympics and Youtube and high school anatomy) I think I might have hit on something that will work.

I agree with your opinion about PT's - the PT I had for my knee was really good. The PT I had for my wrist - well, wasn't. I'll spare you details, but it was bad and my wrist has suffered as a result. :roll:

Anyhow, I appreciate your advice, and thanks for the reply!
~Tory~
"Just Ducky!"
Will row for food!

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » September 10th, 2008, 7:02 pm

The ladies comment was mostly tongue in cheek.
Strapless is not too hard if you limit your lay back and get your hands away quickly. The women who taught my wife to row told her "your not supposed to stop at the end of the release and admire your stroke"--that cured her instantly.
The end of the stroke is not the end of the drive, it is hands out with body vertical and legs flat.

toryb
Paddler

Post by toryb » September 10th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Heh yeah tongue in cheek doesn't come through well in forums I'm afraid. Though truth be told, I'm a little dense at the best of times ;).

I'll try your suggestions regarding rowing strapless and see if it helps. It should....
~Tory~
"Just Ducky!"
Will row for food!

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » September 12th, 2008, 10:54 am

When I was recovering from acl surgery I borrowed some slides and rowed one-legged for a while. Another lady borroed a skateboard and strapped her foot to it when she was recovering from a broken ankle.

I'm short too, so I tend to come too far forward at the catch and lean too far backward at the stroke finish because the longer pull gives me better time/distance results. Not good for my body though, especially knees and back.

Shorter strokes, really low damper (95) and slower spm (18 or 19) will still give you a workout.

Don't rush it. As I went through my 30s I concluded I am spending about a year getting over a sport-related injury, but the 'fix' gives me about another 10 years of activity. I think of it as tithing for health, and give it time.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

toryb
Paddler

Post by toryb » September 12th, 2008, 12:01 pm

Good advice, Grams - thanks.

I appreciate the "tithing" sentiment. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I made it through my first workout on Wednesday by doing 1/4 and 1/2 slide rowing - hooray! I'm going to go back to it this morning.
~Tory~
"Just Ducky!"
Will row for food!