Concept2 Bike Erg v Assault bikes

Discuss all things related to the BikeErg, Concept2's newest product.
Dave Neve
Paddler

Concept2 Bike Erg v Assault bikes

Post by Dave Neve » September 23rd, 2024, 5:18 pm

Hello

I don't want to upset anyone as I realize I'm on the Concept2 forum but why would anyone buy a Concept2 BikeErg rather than some sort of Assault bike with handles that move???

What I like about Concept 2 machines like the rower and ski erg is that they train multiple muscles but the Bike Erg breaks away from this concept. Why?

As a gym goer, I love Assault bikes as I can concentrate on my legs, my back (lats) or my pecs (chest) depending on what I want to do on a particular day.

I just don't get why Concept2 chose a bike with fixed handlebars rather than an Assault bike design.

I'm also curious to know if you can peddle backwards (with resistance) on a Concept 2 BikeErg as I've never had access to one.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
DOB: 08/12/1958
Weight: Around 87 kg
Regular gym goer.
Best distance ever: 7601m in 30 m, 10,000 m in 42m15s
Ex-squash player and regular cyclist on all terrain bike

gvcormac
6k Poster

Re: Concept2 Bike Erg v Assault bikes

Post by gvcormac » September 23rd, 2024, 7:33 pm

I hate devices that involve artificial arm motions. That includes ellipticals and the various air bikes.

Beyond that, the Concept 2 feels like a bike. It has inertia and wind resistance that resemble a road bike. It freewheels like a bike.

Last, I ride 30+ minutes every morning while I drink coffee and read my email and this forum and other social media. I can't do that on my rower or ski erg or elliptical, and I couldn't on an air bike.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » September 25th, 2024, 12:14 pm

Boats and bikes are real things for real sports, where technique may well be critical, and C2 tries to mimic them. There's no point in trying to mimic something that doesn't exist.

The other main point is that the machines must be able to let us know just what we've done, in terms of kWh delivered or any other unit of Work, and how that Work relates to what we might be able to do on the real thing: water or road.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » September 25th, 2024, 2:53 pm

jamesg wrote:
September 25th, 2024, 12:14 pm

The other main point is that the machines must be able to let us know just what we've done, in terms of kWh delivered or any other unit of Work, and how that Work relates to what we might be able to do on the real thing: water or road.
I agree 100% that you need a calibrated erg to track and motivate progress. I'm less convinced that you need to map that to outdoor activity. If my elliptical had some sort of erg, that would give me more incentive to use it. In fact, I don't mind it as an arms-only exerciser. But all it gives me is completely fictional "distance" and "calories" numbers. I can sort of guess at actual watts by comparing my heart rate to what I get on the bikerg or skierg or rowerg, and it isn't close to what the elliptical reports.

Using this approach I can see differences among the ergs. For me, 2:00 pace on the bikeerg is HR-equivalent to about 2:05 on the rower and 2:15 (maybe 2:20) on the skierg.

Dutch
6k Poster

Post by Dutch » September 26th, 2024, 8:32 am

I bought a concept 2 bike as I wanted an indoor bike that does what a bike does, more or less for me anyway.
I did look at other brands briefly but having had a C2 rower for 12 yrs and having used the equipment for probably about 24 yrs, I was sure I was getting something for life.
As for the Assault bike, I equate them more with crossfit, plus they are noisy. Dont think the household would thank me at 7 am on a Sat morning lol. So it did not really fit needs.
More than happy with c2 bike and one day I will own a ski machine maybe, but not just yet.
Age 54, 186cm 79.5kg

SwindonRower
Paddler

Post by SwindonRower » September 28th, 2024, 10:42 am

The Bikeerg is nice for when you just want to do a leisurely workout. The Assault bike and its variants are really designed for HIIT workouts.
I can watch a video on my iPad and just spin for 30 mins or longer. It’s a nice change from the rower and Skierg.
I do love the assault bikes, they are absolutely brutal when you push hard on them, a Rogue Echo is on my wish list.
If C2 ever decided to make an assault style bike I would get one instantly.