Elbow pain

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
Dutch
6k Poster

Elbow pain

Post by Dutch » October 18th, 2024, 5:23 pm

Since about May I have experienced painful elbows, probably longer. I used to get a sports massage on forearms and it would go away and it was mainly due to tight muscles.
When this started I tried all the usual things, pills, heat creams, massage only worked until the next day, but I just learnt to live with it to be honest.
Then I watched an article on Insta about how dead hangs heal a lot of shoulder issues and the arms are all connected. So I started to do them with 2 hands and it helped with stiff upper back but not arms.
But I did know that deadlifting gave me relief from sore arms for up to 3 days, So I took the initiative to start hanging single armed from a pull up bar. Now in the past I have never been able to hang one armed static. I would try and try but used to get terrible pains in the side delts.

So I found a vid on youtube showing how to build up to it and hey presto nearly instant relief for the elbows. I went in 3 weeks from 1 second with feet clear of the ground to 40 seconds per arm. I do brace the non hanging arm on the wall sometimes to stop my body turning, plus it helps a little with support.
The whole point though is that for me the elbow pain is muscle tightness all up the arms to the delts and now I am practically pain free and I only have to hang about once every 3 days after about 4 and a half weeks of doing it.
I would be interested to hear if anyone else does this ?
Age 54, 185cm 79kg

Tsnor
10k Poster

Re: Elbow pain

Post by Tsnor » October 18th, 2024, 9:18 pm

Dutch wrote:
October 18th, 2024, 5:23 pm
Since about May I have experienced painful elbows, probably longer. ...
I would be interested to hear if anyone else does this ?
Glad hanging fixed your elbow problem. I know people who hang to help back issues. Didn't know it could help with elbow problems.

I had tennis elbow for a while, which is one of many possible different elbow problems. Got rid of it with eccentric strengthening exercises (load only as the muscle lengthens, no work on contraction). Worked immediately. I was shocked how well it worked. Not sure if problem was from volleyball or rowing, but it showed up big time after trying to one hand dig a hard hit ball that was slightly behind me. Killed about a month of winter training. I used one of these therabands (I bought three colors, used the weak red one 99% of time). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006 ... =UTF8&th=1 Just doing the exercise gave immediate pain relief. Took two weeks to see huge improvement. Everything is fine now. Google "tyler twist elbow" or look for videos on youtube.

Studies were pretty definitive:

"Conclusion The Tyler twist technique was found to be a more effective therapeutic intervention for lateral epicondylitis as a significant decrease in pain on the NPRS and an increase in grip strength on a handheld dynamometer were observed."
https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC10634653/

" in particular, the eccentric exercise group improved their pain level 81% vs. 22% in the standard group. Strength was also significantly more improved in the eccentric group, 79% vs. 15% improvement in the standard group. The DASH Score improved 76% in the FlexBar® group compared to only 13% in the control group." https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC2971639/