Not yet a torn meniscus surgery candidate - but....

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
Myopic Squirrel
1k Poster

Not yet a torn meniscus surgery candidate - but....

Post by Myopic Squirrel » March 19th, 2024, 1:40 pm

The MRI confirmed a slight tear in the right meniscus (event happened early Feb). This week began daily 10 minute, 20 SPM workouts after a 2 year layoffs (had EKG done). So far so good, but any suggestions to avoid further damage while gradually increasing seat time? Thank you in advance.
79 M 188 cm 88Kg "If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." - Mickey Mantle

MysticMelody
Paddler

Re: Not yet a torn meniscus surgery candidate - but....

Post by MysticMelody » March 27th, 2024, 9:00 pm

take it slow and steady to avoid any further damage. Since you're just starting out, sticking to those short 10-minute sessions is smart. As you build up, keep an eye on any pain or discomfort – if you feel it, ease off. Also, don't forget to mix in some low-impact exercises like swimming or cycling to give your knees a break. And hey, listening to your body is key. If something doesn't feel right, don't push through it.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » April 12th, 2024, 10:43 pm

Myopic Squirrel wrote:
March 19th, 2024, 1:40 pm
any suggestions to avoid further damage while gradually increasing seat time?
Lowering the DF might help.

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » April 13th, 2024, 2:23 am

Myopic Squirrel wrote:
March 19th, 2024, 1:40 pm
So far so good, but any suggestions to avoid further damage while gradually increasing seat time? Thank you in advance.
A good thing to keep an eye on is how far you can comfortably get into the catch and how far at the finish. Overcompressing/over-extending the knees can be prevented by putting a small piece of tape on the rail, making a bump in your seat if the rollers hit it (helping you remember your hitting a limit).