lower trapezius strain

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
jagman
Paddler

lower trapezius strain

Post by jagman » May 6th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Hi;

i have strained my lower trapezius on the left side. I went to a physiotherapist and she told me that the lower traps were both weak and that one shoulder blade was "moving" out of place and was "winged" as she put it. I was confused as I have been rowing for years (multi-million meters) and I was under the impression that rowing worked the trapezius muscles. I am doing some rehab exercises now to strengthen the trapezuis (lower trap) muscles. She noted that there was an imbalance and that my shoulder muscles (upper) were much stronger than the surrounding muscles. What am I likely doing wrong to overdevelop upper shoulder and not use lower????

male age 56 with a "desk pilot" job..... as the physio coach calls it....

Ombrax
10k Poster

Re: lower trapezius strain

Post by Ombrax » May 6th, 2021, 9:50 pm

Before the injury had you been doing anything else too, or just the erg?

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » May 7th, 2021, 8:58 am

Do you do any other weight training, or bodyweight exercises, eg pull ups? Do you pull the handle quite high up or more to your sternum?
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

jagman
Paddler

Post by jagman » May 7th, 2021, 6:05 pm

Hello

I do not really do other exercises other than rowing (well i ride my bike in the summer and walk most evenings etc) but the rowing is really my exercise of choice. I do it to lose/maintain weight and lower/maintain blood pressure.

Sounds like i should be adding some other exercises to my regime???

Thanks for taking the time......

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » May 7th, 2021, 9:50 pm

jagman wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 6:05 pm
Definitely.

I'd talk to the folks who are currently helping with your PT, but as an example, with rowing we do plenty of pulling with our arms, but no pushing, so something like pushups are a good complement. Between bodyweight core stuff like forward and side planks, and a few dumbbells and/or kettlebells, you should be able to create a 15-30 minute routine that will help round out what you're getting from the erg.

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » May 8th, 2021, 1:12 am

jagman wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 6:05 pm
Hello

I do not really do other exercises other than rowing (well i ride my bike in the summer and walk most evenings etc) but the rowing is really my exercise of choice. I do it to lose/maintain weight and lower/maintain blood pressure.

Thanks for taking the time......
Yes, it's important to not build up muscular imbalances, especially if you're doing a lot of distance.

As Ombrax says, consider the antagonistic type of exercises that aren't worked when you're rowing. Also as much as the back, and shoulders are utilised there are still smaller muscles that aren't incorporated and need to be worked on. I'd recommend resistance bands and bodyweight exercises to start with.
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » May 8th, 2021, 8:43 am

jagman wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:45 pm
Hi;

i have strained my lower trapezius on the left side. I went to a physiotherapist and she told me that the lower traps were both weak and that one shoulder blade was "moving" out of place and was "winged" as she put it. I was confused as I have been rowing for years (multi-million meters) and I was under the impression that rowing worked the trapezius muscles. I am doing some rehab exercises now to strengthen the trapezuis (lower trap) muscles. She noted that there was an imbalance and that my shoulder muscles (upper) were much stronger than the surrounding muscles. What am I likely doing wrong to overdevelop upper shoulder and not use lower????

male age 56 with a "desk pilot" job..... as the physio coach calls it....
The point with rowing is, that you do pull, but mostly with relax shoulders so the muscles are lengtend . Its pretty easy to spot a rower, just based on his build.
During the stroke the upperback is also rounded and at the end of the stroke we lean back. Those 2 combined make it that we don’t pull the shoulders back, but much more pull them up. Thats why your upperback muscles are well trained, and the muscle in the midback are not. The shoulders are never pull down or pulled back.

To correct that, we should do execercise that much more pull vertical and pull with a contracted upperback.

Ps Modern life with a lot of sitting does add to the problem. Sitting slouched is very common.

Dutch
500m Poster

Post by Dutch » May 8th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Generally you find that being a desk jockey leads to really tight pectorals and over stetched middle back mucles and you develop that rounded back look.
I have an inversion table that has helped with this problem, I have also gained and inch and a half in height by straightening out.
Look up olympic lifting shoulder mobilty exercise they help as well with a longer broom stick.
Age 51, 186cm 84kg

ampire
5k Poster

Post by ampire » May 8th, 2021, 4:48 pm

In my experience as a patient, many PTs are reductionist, often they like to reduce the cause of any injury to a muscular or skeletal imbalance. I wouldn't obsess too much on that part of it, instead consider that performing exercises with the injured muscle will help it recover and also prevent injury to it in the future and work towards that end.

You could try band or rope face pulls, band pull-a-parts, cable rows, pulldowns, dumbbell rows, etc.
M35|5'8"/173CM|148lb/67KG|LWT|MHR 192|RHR 42|2020: 5K 18:52.9 (@1:53.2/500)|C2-D+Slides+EndureRow Seat+NSI Minicell Foam

faach1
SpamTeam

Post by faach1 » May 12th, 2021, 2:46 pm

ampire wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 4:48 pm
In my experience as a patient, many PTs are reductionist, often they like to reduce the cause of any injury to a muscular or skeletal imbalance. I wouldn't obsess too much on that part of it, instead consider that performing exercises with the injured muscle will help it recover and also prevent injury to it in the future and work towards that end.

You could try band or rope face pulls, band pull-a-parts, cable rows, pulldowns, dumbbell rows, etc.
I second this, so true.