Hip flexor strain...arghh!!!!

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
nstrik
Paddler

Hip flexor strain...arghh!!!!

Post by nstrik » April 16th, 2007, 2:49 pm

Anyone ever deal with a hip flexor strain?
After a 45 minute bike ride in the morning, I did a 7500M row late in the day. With about 550M to go, my hip gave out. :cry:

singletrackmike
Paddler

Hip flexor strain

Post by singletrackmike » April 16th, 2007, 10:38 pm

I had problems with the same after very hard paced bike rides. A massage therapist took care of the initiial problem, and as she is also a Yoga instructor, she gave me a stretch to do before and after rides. I do this also first thing in the morning and before and after rowing as well.
Put yourself in the raised-up push-up position. Slide one or the other of your feet so it is flat on the floor, but for the most part, UNDER your chest. The knee should be against you chest. The other foot should still be back, still in the push-up position, and your arms extended.Do this stretch with each leg.

nstrik
Paddler

Re: Hip flexor strain

Post by nstrik » April 17th, 2007, 5:01 am

singletrackmike wrote:I had problems with the same after very hard paced bike rides. A massage therapist took care of the initiial problem, and as she is also a Yoga instructor, she gave me a stretch to do before and after rides. I do this also first thing in the morning and before and after rowing as well.
Put yourself in the raised-up push-up position. Slide one or the other of your feet so it is flat on the floor, but for the most part, UNDER your chest. The knee should be against you chest. The other foot should still be back, still in the push-up position, and your arms extended.Do this stretch with each leg.
Thanks, I'll try that.

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » April 22nd, 2007, 7:21 pm

Slide one or the other of your feet so it is flat on the floor, but for the most part, UNDER your chest. The knee should be against you chest. The other foot should still be back, still in the push-up position, and your arms extended.Do this stretch with each leg.
In addition, Xeno says on his training DVD's that after the finish first get the hands forward, then have the hands pull the torso forward so you have a forward lean, and then do your slide forward. He says that way you are using your hamstrings instead of hip flexors to slide forward. He says if you pull forward without the forward lean then you're setting the stage for an injury. I hope I said this right. His DVD's are great fun and full of technical advice. I never get tired of them.

Byron