Weekly Rowing Schedule

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
jbhoren
Paddler

Weekly Rowing Schedule

Post by jbhoren » May 27th, 2023, 7:15 pm

Following an almost three-year layoff (I could blame it on Covid-19, but let's be real) I've returned (yet again) to indoor rowing on my Concept2 (model D). I've gotten older, and it's more difficult getting started... but "this ain't my first rodeo."

So, here's the question: Week One I rowed M-F, w/S&S for R&R. I'm wondering if Week Two (and onward) it might not be better for me to row Su/M/T, rest on W, row Th-F, and rest on Sa.

Two days-off in a row [no pun intended, but I'll take the win] is boring, and I wonder — given my staring-back status — if sticking with "5-on/2-off" might become a "five steps forward, two steps back" scenario (which I'd prefer to avoid).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Re: Weekly Rowing Schedule

Post by Dangerscouse » May 28th, 2023, 2:20 am

jbhoren wrote:
May 27th, 2023, 7:15 pm
Two days-off in a row [no pun intended, but I'll take the win] is boring, and I wonder — given my staring-back status — if sticking with "5-on/2-off" might become a "five steps forward, two steps back" scenario (which I'd prefer to avoid).

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I don't think there's any physiological reason why you shouldn't take two days off (I believe fitness starts to fade after three days) but your enjoyment is a very important part of starting again.

I don't like taking two days off if I have a choice, as it just doesn't suit me as I like to keep active
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

iain
10k Poster

Post by iain » May 28th, 2023, 7:55 am

Interesting, when I have started back I have struggled to row after a day off at all as my core weakens and I get DOMs in my core that really makes rowing unpleasant. Not really sure the right approach with DOMs, rowing again 24 hrs later defers it but not sure if the eventual DOMS are worse as a result. I find that getting used to more rowing is essential, so row when I can until the fitness returns enough to do my usual regular sessions.
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/

MPx
10k Poster

Post by MPx » May 28th, 2023, 6:55 pm

The older I've become the more I prefer to erg everyday if I can - life means I typically get 3 or 4 "rest" days a month. A day off the erg makes no difference to me either way. More than one day off and the next couple of sessions will be brutal no matter how slow I go. No issue to erg every day with only 2 hard sessions a week (Tues and Sat typically for me).

But as Stu says probably the most important thing is to do whatever you find works for you in maintaining interest/enjoyment. After all its much easier to just sit on the couch... Best of luck with getting back into it.
Mike - 67 HWT 183

jbhoren
Paddler

Post by jbhoren » June 4th, 2023, 1:07 pm

So, here's the question: Week One I rowed M-F, w/S&S for R&R. I'm wondering if Week Two (and onward) it might not be better for me to row Su/M/T, rest on W, row Th-F, and rest on Sa.
Update: Week Two is "in the books", and the 3/1+2/1 schedule is a winner; I felt rested after Wednesday and Saturday's days-off. I started Week Three this morning.