Poor posture and weak back

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
tedm
Paddler

Poor posture and weak back

Post by tedm » August 25th, 2010, 8:58 am

Hi,

I'm a returning erger/poster and am hoping to start rowing again on the right foot/oar.

I've always had poor posture and a relatively weak back. I know that posture is influenced by more than back muscles (core muscles assist), but my back is of concern for two reasons: 1. I've been on statin drugs for hereditary high cholesterol and they do a number on my back muscles (stiff and sore), and 2. I injured my back a few years ago while doing squats.

I have a couple of questions regarding my posture and back:
  • 1. What core AND back exercises can I do to improve my posture?
  • 2. Would a back/posture brace help while rowing so I don't re-injure my back while rowing?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Ted

chgoss
10k Poster

Re: Poor posture and weak back

Post by chgoss » August 25th, 2010, 10:03 pm

I had a bad back for the LONGEST time, really, really bad. Many times would injur it and couldnt get out of bed for a day or two..
Here's what I did:
- I bought an incline sit up bench and did that for a while, I think it did help, but I did tweak my back again, so I:
- bought a roman chair off amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-Xodus ... 591&sr=8-4
- first day I got it, I did 1 set of 10 reps with no weight, felt fine, was in agony in the morning, ended up missing several days of work.
- rest, Advil. 2 weeks later, I did 1 set of 1 rep. literally, just 1 rep.
- then, next day, 1 set of 2 reps
- then, next day, 1 set of 2 reps again.
and so on, after a couple weeks of doing it every day, I had built up to 1 set of 10 reps. I was just trying to not get hurt.
couple month's later of doing it every day, I had build up to 2 sets of 10. Then I started doing it with a 10lb weight
kept doing it every day (or at a minimum 5 days a week), I got strong enough to start doing dead lifts.
fast forward 3 years of doing it consistently, 4-5 days a week, every week, I can dead lift 225 lbs, and my goal is to get to a 1 rep of 300 lbs by Christmas.
Nothing astonishing, but my back feels great, and it's strong. The only time it ever hurts is if I stop doing the work for a week or so.

THE HARDEST THING is to do it consistently, 4-5 days a week, week after week.. that's really hard. But it will work.

HTH
-chad
52 M 6'2" 200 lbs 2k-7:03.9
1 Corinthians 15:3-8

tedm
Paddler

Post by tedm » August 26th, 2010, 8:47 am

Thanks for the reply and info, Chad.

I've used a roman chair at a gym and in the past have done a modified version of it at home with an exercise ball and a light weight. I will consider getting a roman chair for my home gym.

Do you do core strength workouts that have helped? If so, which ones?

Thanks,

Ted

chgoss
10k Poster

Post by chgoss » August 29th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Hi Ted,
I dont really do anything at all for my stomach :oops: :oops:

I go to the gym twice a week with a buddy of mine from work, we do squats, deads, leg extension machine, leg curls (hamstrings) and a back machine.

I row 3-4 times a week, following every erg session I do the roman chair for my back, wrist curls (front and reverse - got a bad elbow..) and some exercises for a sore butt..

It's getting so that the PT exercises are taking as much time as the hard work stuff :lol: :lol:

Good news is, IT WORKS. That's the way we're designed, repeatedly, consistently, stressing something strengthens it..
52 M 6'2" 200 lbs 2k-7:03.9
1 Corinthians 15:3-8

keepitlow
Paddler

Post by keepitlow » November 17th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Body bridge (or Swiss ball substitute)

http://www.bodybridge.com/

Yoga
inversion training
back strengthening ex
lie on the floor on your back to flatten it out

tedm
Paddler

Post by tedm » November 17th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Thanks for the info, keepitlow.

I'll pass on the Body Bridge, but have started yoga and do back stretches and exercises.

enrage
1k Poster

Post by enrage » November 18th, 2010, 9:23 am

I had hurt my back doing stiff legged deadlifts a few years ago. It took a long time for it to finally heal and get better. I did visit a chiropractor several times but I really think it was the electric muscle pads that helped me after each back cracking session.
Once my back started feeling better I started incorporating back hyper extensions.
on days when my back was hurting, i would leave to the gym at lunch time just to do a few sets of hypers and you would be surprised how much better your back would feel after doing them. i found that doing the back hyper extensions helped strengthen my lower back and at the same time provided relief from uncomfortable back pain.
It takes time, ice and patience but your back will eventually get better.
Are you a Lebowski Achiever?

PaulG
2k Poster

Post by PaulG » November 18th, 2010, 10:00 pm

I have had back pain for about a month now and have stopped rowing. I went to physical therapy and was diagnosesd with an extremely tight psoas muscle. That's one of those strong internal core muscles that is part of the hip flexor complex and is often the cause of sore backs. Do some research on line and you will see stretching exercises for the psoas. Some of them look like the Body Bridge posted earlier.