Wrist surgery -- Now what?

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
doubletruck
Paddler

Wrist surgery -- Now what?

Post by doubletruck » April 23rd, 2009, 1:29 pm

I'm getting surgery for wrist collapse (SLAC -- they're going to take out one carpal bone & do a "4-corner fusion" on others) (doc sez all the cartilage between carpals and arm bones is gone), and I wonder if anyone has idea for training that involves the rower. I'll be in cast 6 weeks. Has anyone tried some form of one-handed rowing at low resistance? Handle isn't made for it, obviously.

Thanks
Bill Fisher

yoda
Paddler

Wrist Failure

Post by yoda » April 23rd, 2009, 2:10 pm

Bill,

I had my right wrist fused and a stainless steel plate installed in mine. No therapy afterward at all. The Doctor said whenever you feel like using it, have at it. I was back rowing after about 2 weeks. It hurt some, but with the plate and screws holding everything in place, it wasn't a big issue.

Yoda

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » April 23rd, 2009, 6:29 pm

I broke my left radius at the wrist on 1st Mar 2008 (put my hand out when my bike crashed on a pothole) and had my left arm in plaster for six weeks (no plates, the cast was done by the ER). After four weeks I was rowing one handed. After five weeks I was rowing two handed with the cast still on my arm. The worst part was having a sweaty cast with no way to dry it or clean it (yeuch!).

It's taken until now Apr 2009 to get completely back to normal. I've got a Powerball to see if I can strengthen my arm muscles.

The important thing is to discuss it with your surgeon. My surgeon is a cyclist and is now a member of my bike club.

Grab the handle and put your middle finger (of the good hand) through the D ring bolt that connects the handle to the chain. Don't be tempted with a model D handle to put your fingers through the holes in the handle, that's really uncomfortable and you won't last 10 minutes.

I left the drag on 120 (my normal setting) and just accepted that the pace/stroke rate wouldn't be comparable to rowing with two good hands.
Dougie Lawson
61yrs, 172cm, Almost LWt (in my dreams).
Twitter: @DougieLawson