Why i love the Skierg

Talk about the ski ergometer and training tool from Concept2
Dessyp777
Paddler

Why i love the Skierg

Post by Dessyp777 » March 16th, 2024, 7:50 pm

I got a Skierg about a month ago and absolutely love it !

I do a lot of running and boxing (and other assorted crossfit type workouts) so this compliments that perfectly.

To have an intense cardio workout which is mostly upper body and doesn't tax your legs is a godsend in terms of being able to mix things up with running (and i mainly do running intervals from sprints to 1K repeats so my legs need the rest)

Also i don't think i know of any other upper body cardio machine or workout where your cardiovascular system is taxed before the muscular endurance of your arms fails first.

The core workout is an absolute bonus, much more fun than regular crunches !
'
I love the fact you can sprint on the Skierg or do longer sessions.

The machine has the usual Concept 2 high quality, great PM5 monitor with ergdata app.

I have no idea why anyone would but anything other than a Concept 2 Skierg over the many copycat machines, many of which cost the same price.

If someone was going to buy one machine only (and that was their primary workout activity) , yes the rowerg is a better option for more of an overall workout, but for my situation, the Skierg is king.

I do think overall the Skierg is still an underrated machine.

MudSweatAndYears
1k Poster

Re: Why i love the Skierg

Post by MudSweatAndYears » March 17th, 2024, 5:42 pm

Dessyp777 wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:50 pm
If someone was going to buy one machine only (and that was their primary workout activity) , yes the rowerg is a better option for more of an overall workout, but for my situation, the Skierg is king.
Since two months, next to my RowErg and BikeErg, I also haves a SkiErg. So far, after 350+ km on this machine, I come to the conclusion that most folks who consider a RowErg for workouts would probably be better off with a SkiErg. Yes, a RowErg does tax the legs more, but when you regularly walk and/or cycle, arguably the focus in your workouts should be on core, shoulders and arms. The SkiErg is ideal for that.

Other advantages of the SkiErg over the RowErg:
- more intuitive motion
- standing-up workout (most people spend way too many hours of the day in seated position)
- no sore buttock
- no strapped-in feet: grab the handles and off you go
- smaller floor area
- less maintenance (no chain to be oiled)

As I also row on-the water, I cannot imagine limiting myself to the SkiErg only, but again, for 'the general public' a SkiErg is probably to be preferred over a RowErg.
I run in the mud, I sweat on the erg, and I happily battle the years...
M 63, 1.80m/5'11", 75kg/165lb. Erging since Sept 2019.
https://erg-all-rounders.blogspot.com/p ... 22-23.html

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » March 18th, 2024, 5:31 am

I have a RowErg (actually model D from 2003), BikeErg (circa 2021), and RowErg (2022).

I like them all. Objectively, here are my numbers: RowErg (since I joined the log) 5.7 million, BikeErg 10.7 million (but you should discount this by half), SkiErg 0.3 million.

Why so much BikeErg? Because I used it every morning for email/coffee etc. I'm on it right now as I type.

When I'm doing a workout, I generally choose the RowErg. Perhaps this is habit, or perhaps it is because I belong to a group that tends to be rowing dominated, and I like to compare.

I agree that nothing beats Concept 2, for two reasons: The inertial feel and speed-dependent resistance; and calibrated output measurement. It is really the calibrated output that drives me, more for self-assessment than for bragging rights. I know exactly where I stand in terms of volume and intensity.

I do not agree that the Ski Erg works the legs less than the RowErg. I've never been leg limited on the RowErg, and unless I row at artificially slow stroke rates, I've never been arm or back or core limited either. Max HR is what limits me. And, as with the bike, I can row as gently or as intensely as I like.

The Ski Erg, unlike the Row Erg and Bike Erg, is weight bearing. You do flex your legs at least a bit and your torso moves up & down. For me this means I deliver less power to the flywheel than I consume (as measured by HR, breathing, etc.). I think the main reason I tend to choose the others is because I can just plunk down and ease into a warmup, whereas the Ski Erg startup is more abrupt, regardless of how gently/slowly I pull.

So I think they're all great. Any one is much better than my True treadmill or True elliptical. At least the treadmill gives you something resembling distance and speed. The elliptical gives some bogus "distance" and "calorie" and "watt" measures, and has that artificial magnetic resistance feel ... worse than walking in wet sand.

Along the way I've tried some really expensive rowers and bikes (e.g. GymLink, Watt Bike) and while they can be passable, they don't have the inertial/resistance feel that I so like about Concept 2.

If you forced me to give up all but one of my ergs, it would be a tough choice. Fortunately, I don't have to make that choice -- at least not anytime soon.

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Sakly » March 18th, 2024, 7:51 am

Started using the skierg regularly in the gym (so only shorter distances) since November.
Fully agree to this:
gvcormac wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 5:31 am
I do not agree that the Ski Erg works the legs less than the RowErg.
During my 500m PB my legs gave up first, afterwards I couldn't stand up 🤣
It's a very tough machine, but so much fun! And it gives a good variety to the rower 👌🏻
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:03.5