"too much" layback?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Wolkies
Paddler

"too much" layback?

Post by Wolkies » March 21st, 2008, 3:28 pm

I recently attended a technique-based erg class the other day. I got a lot out of it and the coach really seemed to know what he was talking about. He said I had good form, but made little ajustments to lenth. I feel like he cut my stroke length size greatly.

As for the catch, he told me that i go too far up on the erg, which inturn makes me use my calfs rather than my quads. Thats understandable, and I can see how this is true. However, he now makes me start my stroke about right above the handle holder (instead of almost at the base of where the chain comes out). I feel it more in my quads now, but it shows negative affects on my splits. Im not sure if I should keep continuing my old method because my calfs can handle it, or if I should make adjustments and make myself change because it will help me in the long run?

Another comment he made was that I am giving too much layback. This is what confuses me. I am a 16 yr old 5'7 ltwt high school girl. My actual coach had always told me that since I am not as big and strong, I must make up for it in my length aka layback. I dont go crazy back, but probably about a 40 degress angle.

Then I got to thinking. I can see how maybe a lot of layback is good on the erg, espec. for low rates. But then what about 2k sprints? If calculated corrected: is the energy used for good layback (to lean back AND recover foward) making me more tired then if i just went a bit fast without much layback? Because although the layback gives me more length, and in turn more meters, it seems to kill me energy wise. Plus, when OTW how easy it is to recover quickly from extreme layback?

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » March 21st, 2008, 4:27 pm

It sounds as if he was recommending corrections to very common faults, is there some reason that you do not want to follow them?

Unstrap your feet and get as much layback as you can in that condition, if you need the straps to maintain your balance you are laying back too much. The increase in "length" is far less than you might imagine.

The amount reach is determined by the angle at your knee, if you compress too much, you will be unable to drive quickly once you have made your catch and that is what he is trying to correct. When in a boat, "Length" is more determined by time in the water on the drive than by how far you reach or finish, at least within reasonable ranges.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » March 21st, 2008, 5:46 pm

PaulS wrote: Unstrap your feet and get as much layback as you can in that condition, if you need the straps to maintain your balance you are laying back too much.
Also don't put your head and shoulders forward and curved your back to maintain balance. People* with a lot of layback often do this when first rowing without straps. Keep the back long at the release (and throughout the stroke for that matter)

*such as myself

Wolkies
Paddler

Post by Wolkies » March 21st, 2008, 11:39 pm

alrighty, thanks for all the advice!

Kangaroo
500m Poster

Post by Kangaroo » March 23rd, 2008, 1:17 am

Well in my experiences with rowing - different coaches have viewed technique (OTW and ergs) differently, so maybe that is what he finds that works best.

I don't know about the catch - I always touch the front where the chain is with the handle - and could probably go for a bit more reach. None of my coaches have ever said anything though.