How important are rest days?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
fvnout
Paddler

How important are rest days?

Post by fvnout » February 5th, 2008, 11:49 pm

I sort of want to do away with mine, and put in an easy yet long steady state session. Would that be okay?

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » February 6th, 2008, 12:52 am

Yes, that would be good.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Rowan11088
Paddler

Post by Rowan11088 » February 6th, 2008, 1:30 am

I would say play it by ear. As much as people try to force their workout schedules into a 7 day format, our bodies are all different. You'll know when you need to take a day off, and you shouldn't be hesitant to do so. That said, easy steady state is often more recuperative than rest unless you have been overtraining.
Low Pull: 1:15, 500: 1:26, 2k: 6:36, 6k: 21:24, 10k: 36:58

jagmanvdp
Paddler

Post by jagmanvdp » February 6th, 2008, 1:24 pm

Well, I am no expert, but, even GOD took the seventh day off!!!! *wink*

DB

Andy Nield
500m Poster

Post by Andy Nield » February 6th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Well, I am no expert, but, even GOD took the seventh day off!!!!
Yeah... and look what happened!!! :roll: B)
[img]http://www.nielda.co.uk/pics/c2sig.gif[/img]
[color=orange][i]It never gets any easier... you just get faster...[/i][/color]

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: How important are rest days?

Post by Citroen » February 6th, 2008, 5:31 pm

fvnout wrote:I sort of want to do away with mine, and put in an easy yet long steady state session. Would that be okay?
I think you're crazy. You need at least one day off per week, maybe two or you'll end up overtrained.

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » February 6th, 2008, 6:55 pm

fvnout wrote:I sort of want to do away with mine, and put in an easy yet long steady state session. Would that be okay?
I know many people say you need rest day or two a week, but my experience is that a long, easy row helps me recover better than doing nothing. I think the last day I didn't do some rowing or cycling was almost a year ago when I had a minor medical procedure. Of course you can always watch for the classical signs of over-training. Maybe it varies from person to person, and how intense the training is.

In other words, what Rowan says. If you feel you need a rest day, you're entitled. If a long, easy row makes you feel rested, I would do that.

Byron

philrow
2k Poster

Post by philrow » February 6th, 2008, 7:15 pm

I've been adjusting my training plan a lot and a coherent approach is just now developing, but as is I've established two days (or three if travel/other plans require) per week as "off" days. By that, I mean "off" the erg, and "on" to some other lighter training. It's hard to get myself to do that, but it's for the best. Rest is when physiological development occurs most.

Today is an "off" day; I plan on maybe a 20' run up the parking garage across the street. I consider runs and stairs up to 60' to be light in comparison to most of the erg work I do, and I imagine that would apply to most anybody considering how demanding the erg is.

Phil
19, 86kg, 155cm

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1218138029.png[/img]

Andy Burrows
Paddler

Post by Andy Burrows » February 7th, 2008, 5:38 am

A rest day is the best days training you can have!
32 6'2" 85kg
[url=http://mattn.uuhost.uk.uu.net/teamoarsome.htm][b]"TEAM OARSOME IRC"[/b][/url] <---click me
[url=http://www.c2ctc.com/]Cross Team Challenge[/url] <---click me

[img]http://mattn.uuhost.uk.uu.net/pbp_ab.gif[/img]

NavigationHazard
10k Poster

Post by NavigationHazard » February 7th, 2008, 5:48 am

Physical adaptations to training take place during rest, not during your workouts. If you're not getting sufficient rest (and adequate nutrition), I think you'll undermine at least some of whatever good you're accomplishing during your workouts. I doubt that most people on the Forum are at serious risk for full-blown overtraining syndrome. Still, IMO you often can do yourself a considerable favor by backing off your training from time to time....
67 MH 6' 6"

fvnout
Paddler

Post by fvnout » February 7th, 2008, 6:45 am

When I said "slow steady state" I meant a paddle (warm up pace), I tried it today and I feel good. :D :D

125shifter

Post by 125shifter » February 9th, 2008, 11:00 pm

I ride Mx. I love riding MX. I love riding MX more than any other sport.

There are times that I've riden (4) straight days and on the 5th, I'm just fully flogged and not into it - just weak. I'll take a day or two, freshen up and have at it again afterward.

I've maintained the same philo w/ surfing and skiing. Time off helps you think, regain motivation, etc. Take a break and come back fresh IMO.

badocter
2k Poster

Post by badocter » February 10th, 2008, 3:27 am

I have tried to force 7 day a week erging a few times during the last couple monthes because of the holiday challenge and the january team challenge. I did a 7 day and 8 day stretch during those periods, but the last days felt like just another slog and were rather dismotivating. I cracked, took a rest day and came back energized for the next session.

If you are doing this because you really feel energized and just itching to get on the erg, then its probably ok. But if you find that you are doing the next consecutive session out of misplaced guilt or to keep the streak going even though it feels like a slog, then its better to take a rest day or do some other activity. Keep in mind what your ultimate goal is (fitness, weightloss, racing...) and then make sensible and sustainable lifestyle choices that will progress you to that goal.
40, 6'2", 180# (versus 235# in July 2007)
www.freespiritsrowing.com
[img]http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/uploads/badocter/rowingpbtable.png[/img]

John Foy
1k Poster

Post by John Foy » February 10th, 2008, 9:58 am

badocter wrote:I have tried to force 7 day a week erging a few times during the last couple monthes because of the holiday challenge and the january team challenge. I did a 7 day and 8 day stretch during those periods, but the last days felt like just another slog and were rather dismotivating. I cracked, took a rest day and came back energized for the next session.

If you are doing this because you really feel energized and just itching to get on the erg, then its probably ok. But if you find that you are doing the next consecutive session out of misplaced guilt or to keep the streak going even though it feels like a slog, then its better to take a rest day or do some other activity. Keep in mind what your ultimate goal is (fitness, weightloss, racing...) and then make sensible and sustainable lifestyle choices that will progress you to that goal.
I think this is great advice.