tenderness in my chest

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
larkl
Paddler

tenderness in my chest

Post by larkl » January 27th, 2008, 11:46 pm

I suddenly got pain on one side of my chest just under my breast after doing a 2K a couple of days ago.
Today I noticed that working on an abdominal strength training machine hurt whatever muscle is involved. Also crunches hurt.
Rowing didn't hurt while I was doing it, it actually seemed soothing. But later on, my chest wall hurt, from halfway around my back to the middle
of my chest.
I'm not sure whether the abdominal strength machine or the rowing machine caused it.
I've heard intercostal muscle strain is a common rowing injury. I'm not sure if this is what it is. I'm sure it isn't heart-related chest pain.
Is there anything about technique that I should watch out for? Anybody familiar with this kind of injury?
I'm rowing every other day, so it's frustrating to get injured anyway. But I'm rowing harder than I used to.
Laura

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » January 28th, 2008, 12:18 am

It's most likely a tear or strain between ribs, as you said, which is a common injury among rowers.

Be sure you are keeping your back straight, and rotating from your hips.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » January 28th, 2008, 9:13 am

Laura,

I've had what sounds similar several times, and I'm currently trying to keep going while it heals. When it happens to me it's usually after a session of sprint intervals. I don't know what I do differently then other than exert more effort.

Mary Perrot (MaryP on the forum....multiple-time champion) suggested something that has been helping me to keep going as it heals instead of stopping altogether--an elastic wrap for the ribs.
It may look odd, or even stupid on me, but it has made training possible. They aren't easy to locate. The one I'm wearing came from Gary Passler (trifit1 from your other thread), who used it to train through a cracked rib to prepare for a major running race. I found another in a local pharmacy in the section with back supports, elbow and knee wraps, etc. Cold packs immediately after exercising it probably helps to heal it faster as well.

Stefan
1k Poster

Post by Stefan » January 28th, 2008, 12:54 pm

John Rupp wrote:a tear or strain between ribs
That can really hurt.
I did not know that was what I had, and it started hurting much more while on a flight. Geting off, I could almost not reach into the overhead to get my bag.

A flight attendant checked on me, concluded "middle aged bussiness man with chest pain" :shock:

It did not take long before I was on a stretcher being rushed thru the airport and into an ambulans, regardless what I said. The emergency personal thought it was odd with a steady puls of 48, low blood pressure and good blood oxygene levels on a cardiac patient.

Still, it was nice to get a check up and I managed to miss only one flight and escaped before any doctor had time for me.
47 years, 186/85
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1195449471.png[/img]

larkl
Paddler

Post by larkl » January 28th, 2008, 2:13 pm

John Rupp wrote:Be sure you are keeping your back straight, and rotating from your hips.
I definitely tend to slouch. Yes, I read surfing around that if you don't keep your back straight it can mean you pull some with those weak/fragile muscles between the ribs and that hurts them. Ouch! I was also pushing heavy weights on the abdominal training machine, that stresses chest muscles.

The details of good form and why ... When I first started rowing I pulled the bar up to my shoulders - I knew that wasn't how it was supposed to be done but I wanted to exercise my muscles that way. But it ended up causing me hand pain because I was bending my wrists bringing the bar to my shoulders. My hands have recovered now.

Also things about the serratus muscle (?) which seems to be another possible injury. But I don't know if that would cause pain in the front of your chest.

I might try the chest wrap idea ... after taking a break on the elliptical. Right now everything is terribly sore.

thanks
Laura

mischa
Paddler

Post by mischa » January 28th, 2008, 10:20 pm

I saw a PT for chest wall pain a couple of years ago. In addition to a list of stretches/exercises for my upper chest and back, she recommended icing my back.

She said that my upper back was having problems and that this was radiating to the front and causing the pain I was having just over my left breast.
It is hard enough at any time being shut up in the dark with nothing to do; but the prospect of being a human sacrifice at the end of it just made the whole situation incomparably worse.
--from [b]The Stolen Lake[/b] by Joan Aiken