Painful pits!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
sixgun
Paddler

Painful pits!

Post by sixgun » December 19th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Hi,

I have been doing the 200k holiday challenge, current at just over 175k. Unfortunately, for the last week i have been suffering from a rash in my armpits. It's probably the friction, as i have trained myself to not stick my arms out like a chicken at the end of the drive part of the stroke. So, my arms stay quite close to my torso. I did look a bit like a chicken today at the gym as i was trying not to irritate it any more.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this and what remedies i could try. I'm avoiding the deodorant at the moment, to avoid irritating it any more. I'm also applying baby powder to try and sooth it a bit.

I'm currently doing 40 minute pieces to try and get the 200k completed. I've noticed that i'm fairly low down in the pecking order on the "score board" for the challenge. How do some of you long distance types cope?

Regards.

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » December 19th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Sixgun,

If it is an irritation from friction, try using "Body Glide." Don't worry, you don't have to go to an "Adult toy shop" to purchase it It is available in any running specisalty shop and might be available at the big box sporting good stores or online of course I use it to prevent chafing between my legs from running. It does not have any perfumes so should not agrivate the rash.

Also do you wear a tank top when rowing. The only time I have experienced irritation is when rowing with a tank top. Never with a Tshirt. Hope this helps and good luck with the challenge.

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

sixgun
Paddler

Post by sixgun » December 20th, 2006, 3:58 am

If by tank top you mean a vest (I'm based in England, so speak a slightly different language from Americans!), then yes i do.

I tend to sweat an awful lot when rowing, if there aren't a couple of puddles of sweat behind the rower then i haven't worked very hard. Either that or it's so cold in my garage (where my home rower is) that it all evaporated before it had chance to hit the floor!

When i've worn a t-shirt on a longer piece, i notice the puddles of sweat are reduced significantly, so my theory is that all that moisture is nearer my skin, therefore not good. Whereas, when i wear a vest the sweat puddles are much bigger, therefore this is good, since it's not near my skin.

I will have a search around for this "Body Glide" stuff though. I guess it's basically a lubricant, similar to vaseline.

I suppose this is the rower's equivalent of jogger's nipple!

Thankyou.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » December 20th, 2006, 9:22 am

sixgun wrote:I will have a search around for this "Body Glide" stuff though. I guess it's basically a lubricant, similar to vaseline.
Bodyglide is a water based lube (petroleum jelly based lubes don't work well with latex) [Ann Summers do one called Liquid Satin]. You don't want to use vaseline, you'll block your pores and cause big trouble.

One answer is shaving your armpits. If it's good enough for fella's like Frank Lampard (and, of course, all the women) it's good enough for you.

Since you're UK based - sign up for http://concept2.co.uk/forum where all the Brits hang out.

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » December 20th, 2006, 11:30 pm

Citroen, have you tried shaving your armpits?

I personally would not advise shaving armpits. After 17 extremely painful, but socially acceptable years of ingrown hairs, boils, razor burn, stubble, etc. it became clear that shaving was not for me. I have been pain free, and trouble free for the past 10 years since going "european". I must add that numerous sessions of lancing abcesses, fingers buried to the knuckles in some poor, shaven ladies armpit to place iodoform gauze in an abcess cavity have confirmed my decision.

sixgun describes a rash. A bright red, very painful rash with small red dots periferally may represent a candidal infection. Can occur in any area which stays moist too long. Diaper rash in babys. I find diaper ointments with zinc oxide and keeping the area dry will clear this in a few days. Shirt with sleeves will help wick the moisture away from the armpit in addition to preventing skin on skin chaffing. Any way, this is what works for me.

Good luck. Pam

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » December 21st, 2006, 2:58 am

Citroen,
Bodyglide is a water based lube (petroleum jelly based lubes don't work well with latex) [Ann Summers do one called Liquid Satin].
I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read your post. Clearly Bodyglide must be something different in the UK. I assure you, you would not want to use American Bodyglide for a "personal lubricant." :lol:

[here is a link:
http://www.bodyglide.com/skin/skin.html

Rich
SB's

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » December 21st, 2006, 3:03 am

Sixgun,

Yes a tank top is a sleevless top so probably what you call a vest.

I really think you should switch to wearing a t-shirt. I sweat a lot also and any time I wear a "vest" while rowing or running, I get irritation. Never while wearing a t-shirt.

If you don't want to wear a t-shirt try the bodyglide.

Rich
SB's

sixgun
Paddler

Post by sixgun » December 21st, 2006, 3:30 am

Widgeon wrote:Citroen, have you tried shaving your armpits?

I personally would not advise shaving armpits. After 17 extremely painful, but socially acceptable years of ingrown hairs, boils, razor burn, stubble, etc. it became clear that shaving was not for me. I have been pain free, and trouble free for the past 10 years since going "european". I must add that numerous sessions of lancing abcesses, fingers buried to the knuckles in some poor, shaven ladies armpit to place iodoform gauze in an abcess cavity have confirmed my decision.

sixgun describes a rash. A bright red, very painful rash with small red dots periferally may represent a candidal infection. Can occur in any area which stays moist too long. Diaper rash in babys. I find diaper ointments with zinc oxide and keeping the area dry will clear this in a few days. Shirt with sleeves will help wick the moisture away from the armpit in addition to preventing skin on skin chaffing. Any way, this is what works for me.

Good luck. Pam
Thanks Pam.

I did try shaving in my youth (10+ years ago!) and the stubble put me off. I'd be constantly catching things on it. Not nice!

It seems to have cleared up now. I avoided deodorant for a couple of days, only possible because i can work from home! I also used baby powder to dry it out. I did my 40 minute row last night and all was well.

sixgun
Paddler

Post by sixgun » December 21st, 2006, 3:37 am

RowtheRockies wrote:Sixgun,

Yes a tank top is a sleevless top so probably what you call a vest.

I really think you should switch to wearing a t-shirt. I sweat a lot also and any time I wear a "vest" while rowing or running, I get irritation. Never while wearing a t-shirt.

If you don't want to wear a t-shirt try the bodyglide.

Rich
Since i sweat profusely when i row, even short distances. I've always avoided t-shirts as i've thought the sweat was better in a pubble on the floor than soaked in to my t-shirt for the rest of my gym workout. It's not very nice lying on a gym machine wearing a sweat soaked (and usually cold) t-shirt.

Originally, my main reason for posting was to see if i was the only one/ While no-one has said for sure they get the same thing, at i'm not the only one suffering from some form of chafing! I did a quick google for body glide and the only places i could find that sold it over here in the UK were sex shops! I'll have to ask over in the UK forum, see if anyone can help there. But, for some reason i can't log in at the moment.

SlugButt
Paddler

Post by SlugButt » December 21st, 2006, 10:05 am

Let me also throw in an alternate hypothesis if you are living in an area with low humidity. Although I haven't had irritation from perspiration, even wearing a tank top (vest) I have had the experience of salt crystals left after perspiration evaporated acting like sandpaper near my arm pits.

For me, following others' suggestions of using Body Glide (the stuff runners use to reduce chafing) has worked well.

Best of luck to you and your armpits!
David

afolpe
Paddler

Post by afolpe » December 21st, 2006, 10:10 am

"I did a quick google for body glide and the only places i could find that sold it over here in the UK were sex shops! "

So, go buy it there. You're an adult, right? Who gives a rat's ass whether the people in the sex shop think you're using it for other things?

af

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » December 21st, 2006, 11:32 am

afolpe wrote:So, go buy it there. You're an adult, right? Who gives a rat's ass whether the people in the sex shop think you're using it for other things?
The sex shop people may not care, but I'll bet your fellow athletes would be amused to see you slathering personal lubricant under your arms.

BodyGlide® stick makes it easier to work out. Body glide liquid makes it easier to work it. The two are not interchangeable.

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » December 21st, 2006, 1:11 pm

[quote]BodyGlide® stick makes it easier to work out. Body glide liquid makes it easier to work it. The two are not interchangeable[/quote

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SB's

mcj22
Paddler

see a doctor

Post by mcj22 » December 21st, 2006, 7:43 pm

You may have jock itch causing the rash. I think it's definitely worth checking out with a doctor - basically a fungal infection under the arm. If that's the case, believe me you don't want to let it go for very long. Make sure that you are washing your workout shirts in strong detergent and in very hot water. Sweating a lot for long periods in an area like an armpit is a prime breeding ground for things like this. Also, make sure that you shower directly after a workout. If you are cross-training, you might want to consider switching clothes when you go on to the next activity.

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » December 27th, 2006, 4:23 pm

You can still adjust your stroke somewhere in between elbows at shoulder height, and hugging the body.

Also try gripping a bit wider on the handle.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )