Habits, Rituals and Mantras

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
jjpisano
1k Poster

Habits, Rituals and Mantras

Post by jjpisano » November 5th, 2006, 1:18 pm

I am an avid Concept2 erger and my rowing on the erg is an intrinsic, essential part of my lifestyle. There are certain habits that I've developed over the past 6 years to make it easier to get on the erg. In addition, I've developed some pre-row rituals as well. These habits and rituals are no big deal - just things I notice that I do. I don't think I'm completely loony doing them and I bet that there are ones among the forumites who have their routines. These routines may be very personal and may not be worth sharing but I'm willing to share one of the most characteristic features of my training that I think can be helpful to others.

I have a mantra when I'm rowing. Occasionally, I do degenerate to repeating the F-word with every stroke but that is a distinct minority of strokes. My usual mantra is very useful and meaningful for each stroke of work. I'll get to it in a minute but let me set up the ideas behind it.

Over the course of this past year, there have been posts discussing the correct pacing of a 2k. On pure energy requirements, an even paced 2k requires the least energy input and it would seem should be easiest. Generally, an even paced 2k doesn't require tolerating a huge amount of lactic acid over the course of the whole race. Slowly but surely the lactic acid accumulates over the course of the race - and the key is to get that lactic acid to it's maximum on the last stroke. Another key is to make sure the even pace is not too easy - you'll have a sub-optimal race. Still another key is make sure the even pace is not too hard - collapse in the middle is imminent.

It would seem to me that training to acquire consistent stroking power is important. So when you pull each stroke, you can pull within a narrow range of power over and over again. So....... that get's me to my mantra.

Well, maybe not quite yet, let me add - it is one of my training habits that I stick with a certain combination of power and stroke rate for weeks on end. Like right now, I'm just finishing up working at 240w & 22 s/m. Next week I'll be doing 246w @ 23 s/m. During my workouts, I try to hit that exact watt level and stroke rate - this trains consistent stroking power.

Now about my mantra. Mantras are often sounds repeated over and over again to get into a trance-like state. Generally the sounds are without meaning but some mantras are composed of words which do have meaning. Mine goes like this:

Picture the scenario, I'm aiming to pull @ 240w & @ 22 s/m over and over again but instead my strokes are for example:

241w @ 22 s/m
240w @ 22 s/m
240w @ 23 s/m
239w @ 22 s/m
242w @ 22 s/m
241w @ 22 s/m
239w @ 22 s/m
240w @ 21 s/m etc.

My mantra would go something like this (please be charitable and don't laugh too derisively):

1/2% too strong
Relentless
Relentlessly screwy
1/2% too weak
1% too strong
1/2% too strong
1/2% too weak
Relentlessly screwy etc.

I don't verbalize these words but I use the "mind's voice". I know this sounds crazy but that's what I do. Some points:

When I hit the exact combo of power and stroke rate I give myself a reward at the time - not only psychological with the reward word "Relentless" but the next two strokes I lean off to the side right and left to relieve my buttocks from the ache that develops while doing long sessions.

Every stroke I have a split second to figure out how far I'm off from ideal - the math doesn't have to be exact -just ball park. This constant math, in conjuction with the mantra characteristics of my repetitive thoughts, puts me in a nearly trance-like state and keeps my mind off the slowly increasing pain in my muscles.

When my stroke rate is off, I psychologically penalize myself with the word "screwy" . This prompts me to get on the right stroke rate.

On the day of the race, I won't be leaning off to the right or left when I hit the right watt level but I will be asking my coxswain to use the word "Relentless" during my race and I'll be thinking it when I hit the right watt level.

This subject is not often discussed perhaps because it is highly personal. I think, however, that a discussion of the issue could help forumites develop their own version of a mantra which may help them reach higher levels of training.
Jim SWCSPI Pisano

seat5
2k Poster

Post by seat5 » November 8th, 2006, 1:21 am

I say different things to myself as I row if I am having a hard time, especially if it's a long dull piece and I'm trying to stick to a certain stroke rate and pace combo. I don't say them out loud of course but in my head, rythmically; and I try to have them be phrases or words that either diffuse any negative/painful/fatigue feelings, one "line" per stroke. I NEVER use words that focus on "no gain without pain" or anything like that, though I know some folks do. I just don't find that at all helpful.
Capital letters are on the drive, lower case, recovery:

ROCKING
in my
ROCKING
chair

TAKE
a nap
TAKE
a nap

JUST
keep going
JUST
keep going

But when I'm really struggling and those aren't good enough, I end up with phrases that actually amount to prayer. I take whatever helpful thought comes to me and repeat it as I row and change it as I go along and think of more helpful thoguhts. I believe that we all get our capabilities and strength from God and acknowledging that as I row really helps me because it gives me more reserve, I don't feel like it's all coming out of my own personal limited physical strength. It helps me to not be as tempted to quit and if something is starting to hurt, to be able to row through it. Anyone interested can PM me--I'm sure lots of people reading this will have already written me off as a complete loon! But I have to say this kind of thought while really putting myself to the test has helped me any number of times and on almost every PB I ever manage.
Carla Stein--F 47 HWT

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1193870739.png[/img]

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » November 8th, 2006, 11:56 am

I've been struck by how little the mental side of erging is discussed, especially for trials. I've never found a single mantra that works. On challenging pieces, I may conjure a word or phrase for awhile, count strokes, or set short-term targets to get me through. In effect, every row is a series of shorter rows, each w/ its own targets and mental tricks.

Tom

jjpisano
1k Poster

Post by jjpisano » November 8th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Carla and Tom:

Erging is such a rhythmic activity that it would seem to naturally tend toward rhythmic thoughts and words.
Jim SWCSPI Pisano

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » November 9th, 2006, 5:37 pm

The problem for me is that while erging is rhythmic, it never becomes a "mindless" rhythm suited to a repeated phrase. I say that because the erg comes equpped with a monitor that provides instantaneous and precise reporting of your performance--pace, time elapsed, distance traveled, stroke rate. (Then there are HR rate monitors with an additional and changing number, and some people even buy specialized programs to give them more data.) So while I should perhaps settle into a rhythm and repeat my mantra, I often find myself doing calculations in my head, pushing the pace to meet a plan, or slowing down not to exceed a plan.

The monitor ineluctably turns every session into a performance, with the resulting mental activity associated w/ performing, including anxiety and excitement.

No doubt mantras should help quiet our minds, enabling us to focus on each stroke, and "stay in the moment" (does that practice come from the Buddhists mediation), but the f...king monitor is always there, jabbering away w/ the latest results. I cannot ignore it, and so it calls the tune and creates disquiet.

Cover the monitor, you say? I've tried it, and the problem is, if the monitor is covered, how will I know how well I am doing?

Tom

seat5
2k Poster

Post by seat5 » November 9th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Oh, I'm totally conscious of the numbers on the monitor, but since I really stink at mental math, I'm not driven to doing any calculations. There's hardly any point to it because the numbers always come out wrong. I can't do math at all unless I have a pencil in my hand for some reason--I just can't focus on doing stuff with numbers without it. The only thinking I do about the performance aspect is, if the av. pace is slower than it should be, that I should push harder, and while I tell myself to push harder and see if I can get the pace where it belongs I can still be keeping calm with the other thoughts, or use ones that tell me that I am able to get the pace down. If I tried to figure out how much faster exactly I had to go to hit the target I'd go crazy--I just figure if the current stroke is faster than the average pace so far than I'm getting better and if it's slower than I'm screwing up.
Carla Stein--F 47 HWT

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1193870739.png[/img]

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » November 9th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Carla:
I always thought that musicians had to be good in maths...

At least this is inversely valid for me: I stink in maths and in musical abilities... :?
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » November 13th, 2006, 12:02 pm

I find the most important thing is to clean the rail and the wheels before starting; then all proceeds smooth as oil and one can concentrate on the fine admixture of pain and power, strength and suffering, and each single stroke. There's nowhere to hide so why try.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

Afterburner
Paddler

Post by Afterburner » November 13th, 2006, 1:54 pm

I am an obsessive stroke counter. I even have certain systems depending on what I am doing, the best is my plan for 6k tests.
The first 2k I just cruise and try not to think too much. The 3rd k I count up to a hundred strokes just focusing on trying to keep my split where I want it.
For the 4th k I count 20's. 5 of them usually gets the job done.
For the next to last kilometer I count the first 20, then do combinations of 1 2 3 2 1 until the last 20 which I count.
For the last k of the test I will count the first 20, than the same 1 2 3 2 1 type of thing until I reach the last 500. The last 500 is just an all-out sprint where I count up to 25 and then back down again. Usually by the time I'm done with this I have mebbe 100 or so meters left where it's just pull as hard as you can and don't think about it.
In general I find that on the erg or on water I tend to do best when I've got a well laid out plan in mind for how I'm going to count the strokes. I don't do stuff like power 10's and whatnot, I just count strokes.
The amazing thing is it works for me :)
Heather
F23 5'7" Lwt
2k 7:18.5/ 6k 23:15.7/ 100k 9:07:27.7

irrovica
Paddler

Post by irrovica » November 13th, 2006, 5:27 pm

In my early indoor rowing days I would watch TV or (action) movies. I could watch with no guilt due to the exercise. As I started rowing more regular and intense I increasingly found satisfaction in the exercise itself. I use RowPro SW and like the grahic animation on the plasma screen in front of the machine. I also use pace boats, custom rows and stuff. Once or twice a week I would use Xeno's DVD workouts. Beside that I just like to listen to the flywheel and I'm quite happy with that. Towards the end of longer pieces I look forward to stretching and breakfast.

:shock:

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » November 13th, 2006, 7:11 pm

Afterburner wrote:I am an obsessive stroke counter.
Indeed. I sometimes count strokes for a short section of a tough session--25 is about max--but I never have considered counting strokes through an entire 2k, must less 6k.

But I can imagine the practice would give you a narrowed focus on the present, which is one job of a mantra.

Tom

ajohnston
Paddler

Post by ajohnston » November 15th, 2006, 6:50 pm

I usualy go into 2ks knowing what I am going to pull within a second. So I concentrate on pulling whatever split it is that I am aiming for. My only pre-race ritual is slapping myself right before. I find it's a good way to get angry/pumped.

Glen Lake Crew
Paddler

Post by Glen Lake Crew » November 16th, 2006, 11:18 am

I, too, use my rows as time to pray and listen.

Don't get me started on rituals. I am a man of habit. Routine is in my blood. Of course, when things don't go as planned, look out. But, I'm dealing with that.

My wife grins at me every night as I set out a pair of shorts, socks and shoes for the next morning's row, and set up the rower. She thrives on change and takes great pleasure in mocking my anal retentiveness (I prefer fastidious and precise, thank you Freddy). Sometimes, she moves things around on me before she goes to bed and leaves a little smiley-faced note in their place.

I would say the ritual of the row is one of the things that attracted me to rowing in the first place.
"I didn't mind so much getting caught in it. But I did resent having to row uphill to get out." -- Robert Godfrey, self-appointed president for life of the Old Sow Whirlpool Survivors' Association

Anne
1k Poster

Post by Anne » November 16th, 2006, 11:32 pm

The mental and emotional piece of erging has gotten me through a few tough life challenges...somehow, once the monitor is set and I begin the first pull, I can close off the rest of the world for the time of the workout. Sometimes it is just counting (although I always lose count) sometimes it is doing math with the monitor (although my sums may not be correct) or sometimes it is listening to music and following the beat (even if it is Britany), and sometimes it is prayer. The point is that it is an escape and a very beneficial one. :) Sure, there are goals for increasing speed. But, I value the time on the erg for the escape it provides.....and of course, the satisfaction of finishing.

My oddest mantra was trying to repeat the names of all the rowers on line (that I could remember) and imagine how much harder they would be pulling! If I recall, I got a PB with that row. :lol:

tbartman
1k Poster

Post by tbartman » November 17th, 2006, 11:39 am

I'm with some of the other people here: my "mantra" for getting through a row is lots and lots of mental math. I have a PM1 monitor, so I don't get averages, etc. like on the PM4. I'll calculate my average split, pace needed for the next 500m to hit a certain average pace, etc. I spend so much time doing math that I hit the next 500m without noticing and have to do the math all over again.