Lighter Side Of Training- Quickest Way To Handle Down......

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
HammerHead Sk8r
Paddler

Lighter Side Of Training- Quickest Way To Handle Down......

Post by HammerHead Sk8r » September 7th, 2006, 12:39 am

...for a newbie:

Go to your favorite (or my favorite) Mexican restaurant then come home and try doing a 1000m warm up, then 8 500m/1 min intervals followed by a 5000m moderate pace piece.........

Thank goodness for the trashcan near by....nuff said!
HammerHead
Downhillbillies World Headquarters
Skatesville, North Carolina

Eat The Hill (or the Rower) Before it Eats You!

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: Lighter Side Of Training- Quickest Way To Handle Down...

Post by Bob S. » September 7th, 2006, 10:38 am

HammerHead Sk8r wrote:...for a newbie:

Go to your favorite (or my favorite) Mexican restaurant then come home and try doing a 1000m warm up, then 8 500m/1 min intervals followed by a 5000m moderate pace piece.........

How much time did you allow? The digestive process requires a fair amount of energy, especially in the early stages. If you get on the erg within only an hour or two after a regular meal, you are expecting your body to do two workouts at the same time. I found a listing of the time taken for complete digestion but I don't have it right at hand. As I remember it was around 2-3 hours for (complex) carbohydrates, but up to 6 hours for fats and proteins. That was for the complete digestion.

Bob S.

HammerHead Sk8r
Paddler

Re: Lighter Side Of Training- Quickest Way To Handle Down...

Post by HammerHead Sk8r » September 7th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Bob S. wrote:
HammerHead Sk8r wrote:...for a newbie:

How much time did you allow? The digestive process requires a fair amount of energy, especially in the early stages. If you get on the erg within only an hour or two after a regular meal, you are expecting your body to do two workouts at the same time. I found a listing of the time taken for complete digestion but I don't have it right at hand. As I remember it was around 2-3 hours for (complex) carbohydrates, but up to 6 hours for fats and proteins. That was for the complete digestion.

Bob S.
We ate at 7 pm and I was on the erg at 10 pm (Training at night has always been my thing for some reason..not optimal I know but my body likes it far better than training in the morning). I think you are right, I should have eaten more along the lines or 5:30 pm.

Also, after a meal like that a long steady row would have been better than sending my heart rate into orbit on 500m intervals at a 1:35 pace.

Believe me though, its not the first time I tossed it from training. I have pushed myself in the gym more than once doing high intensity agility work. If was just stupid to do what I did after having my fill of some seriously good Tabasco steak, beans, rice, salsa, and peppers!!!!!
HammerHead
Downhillbillies World Headquarters
Skatesville, North Carolina

Eat The Hill (or the Rower) Before it Eats You!