Back discomfert in long rows

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
coldturkey
Paddler

Back discomfert in long rows

Post by coldturkey » September 5th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Hey guys, heres the deal,
I have rowed only a novice season of rowing and I've been training on a model D pretty consistantly for about 8 months now, 6 days a week.
Lately more and more I have been feeling back discomfert in my longer (10k) rows, after I have hit about the halfway (5000m) mark.

Having only had novice training it could very well be my technique that is the problem, and I have noticed that I am slightly more slouched than other people I row with, but I have also noticed that some world champs' styles are also very slouched.

I have tried rowing with a straighter posture but this makes the problem worse for me.
I have also tried rowing at a lower intensity but also with the same problem.

I never have any back problems at any other time (in interval rows or any other time during my day), just while I row distance rows. I am only 19 so I shouldnt be having back problems really.

I just dont think that it should be so much of a discomfert for me to row consistantly for 10k.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
I am thinking about trying to strengthen my back muscles to see if this helps.

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » September 5th, 2006, 7:24 pm

See if someone will provide some video of how you row for distance and the rest of the time. Or do it yourself on an erg. Maybe you give your legs too much of a break doing distance, and then use your back more than you would rowing harder. That could cause that.

Of course, once it gets sore, it needs more rest. Try a few days off from rowing to let the back recuperate, then try again. It may be all you need.

When it does get sore, some cold packs afterwards are a good idea. Also, not so sure continuing when it already hurts is such a good idea. If it hurts at 5K, limit yourself to 4900 m (stop before it hurts) for a little while, add a few hundred m each week when it feels better.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » September 5th, 2006, 7:30 pm

In addition to what LJW says, let me pass along a tip I picked up on the forum:

When my back starts to hurt, I pretend someone has made a fist and is pushing against the small of the back. I find it useful in holding the back straight and well supported and usually that fixes the backache.

I think Xeno Muller's upper body rowing workout DVD should help with core strength and flexibility. It's great fun. I hope you find a solution.

Byron

Ducatista
2k Poster

Re: Back discomfert in long rows

Post by Ducatista » September 5th, 2006, 7:36 pm

coldturkey wrote:I have also tried rowing at a lower intensity but also with the same problem.
Have you tried a lower drag factor?

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » September 5th, 2006, 8:23 pm

Break your 10k into 2 x 5k with a 1 - 2 minute break. That will be enough to get you back on track with technique (as long as it is sound to begin with) so that the slow degrading that was taking place does not continue to pile up as you fatigue.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

mpukita
2k Poster

Post by mpukita » September 6th, 2006, 12:01 am

PaulS wrote:Break your 10k into 2 x 5k with a 1 - 2 minute break. That will be enough to get you back on track with technique (as long as it is sound to begin with) so that the slow degrading that was taking place does not continue to pile up as you fatigue.
Great advice ... this, plus trying to hinge from the hips at all times ... and even try to open up the chest at the finish ... should help you work through the lower back fatigue ... I had it bad for a while, but seem to have it (almost) licked ... I feel for you ... it sux ...
Mark Pukita
48 / 5'7" or 1.70 m / 165 lbs. or 75 kg
1:38.3 (500m) 07NOV05// 3:35.2 (1K) 05NOV06// 07:10.7 (2K LW) 25FEB07// 20:16.0 (5K) 20OCT05// 23:54.1 (6K) 20DEC06// 7,285 (30min) 27NOV05// 41:15.7 (10K) 19NOV05// 14,058 (60min) 29NOV05

mpukita
2k Poster

Post by mpukita » September 6th, 2006, 12:05 am

I should add that a PT told me that a fatigued back is often the result of an overdeveloped chest actually pulling the back muscles into fatigue and causing spasms. So, using a Swiss ball, laying on your back, and doing a spread eagle (and working up through arms straight out over the head and down as far as they will go with comfort) helps to open up the chest, and lighten the load on the back muscles.
Mark Pukita
48 / 5'7" or 1.70 m / 165 lbs. or 75 kg
1:38.3 (500m) 07NOV05// 3:35.2 (1K) 05NOV06// 07:10.7 (2K LW) 25FEB07// 20:16.0 (5K) 20OCT05// 23:54.1 (6K) 20DEC06// 7,285 (30min) 27NOV05// 41:15.7 (10K) 19NOV05// 14,058 (60min) 29NOV05

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » September 6th, 2006, 4:54 pm

Regarding MPukita's last comment, avoiding muscle imbalance problems is one of the main reasons to add weight training and running to a rowing program.

Don't think that if the exercise does not power the erg or the boat that you should not bother.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » September 6th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Byron:
So what back position do you use during the drive ?

Low back in, and upper and mid back ?

I still wonder how much better some of the elite rowers would do if they could straighten their backs into a good powerful position. It might take a few months, but I think they would go from elite, to whatever the next level is. Its a question of body mechanics.
( C2 model A 1986 )

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » September 6th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Hi LJ,

I try to scull like Elia Luini or Rebecca Romero.
low back in, and upper and mid back
seems like a good way to think about it. Have you ever seen the Effective Sculling DVD? At least in my mind I scull exactly like they do. In actual practice, it's a different matter I'm afraid. As far as I can tell, some of the best scullers such as Olaf Tufte do have curved backs when they scull and who am I to criticize? Anyway for me, not keeping the back straight leads to a back ache. It also just feels better when I concentrate on keeping the back straight. If I forget and slouch a little, my back will let me know.

I really need to get a friend to do some video taping so I can see what I really look like when sculling. I have a large mirror so I can see myself on the ergometer. It's more of a challenge to look good on the water as you know. I remember many years ago when I was doing some cross country ski racing. I visualized myself with a long, graceful stride like the top Norwegians. When I saw a video of myself, it was quite a disappointment. Nevertheless, it was very instructive.

Byron

coldturkey
Paddler

Re: Back discomfert in long rows

Post by coldturkey » September 6th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Hey, For a start thanks for all the replies
Ducatista wrote: Have you tried a lower drag factor?
Lately? Not really, I have been rowing some at about a damper setting of 6 and some at a damper setting of 10, because I am trying to work on maximum strength. I will try a 10k at a damper setting of 3-4 and see if that makes a difference.
PaulS wrote:Break your 10k into 2 x 5k with a 1 - 2 minute break. That will be enough to get you back on track with technique (as long as it is sound to begin with) so that the slow degrading that was taking place does not continue to pile up as you fatigue.
This is what normally ends up happening, although against my will. My question is, will taking a break in the middle give me the same quality of workout as doing the whole thing in one go? This could work for me but the problem with structuring my workout like this is that I become dependant apon having a rest inbetween. I then tend to try to do the whole workout slightly faster as if to 'make up' for the lost time. And to me it just doesnt seem to do the same thing as going for the whole 10k, when I do succeed in doing it I feel so much better about my workout and I can see how I stack up against my PB.

Cheers for the help guys