DRINKING WATER AND BATHROOM BREAK FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
hermannjp
Paddler

DRINKING WATER AND BATHROOM BREAK FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE

Post by hermannjp » July 29th, 2006, 8:24 am

I have recently switched to Concept 2 Indoor Rower in order to save my knees later on and as I was akeen to benefit from this remarkable machine.

Unlike running on the treadmill, I've had difficulty in finding the right time to go and drink water or go to the toilet.

When I was running, I took several large gulps of water=>did my warm up by running for 5 min at a comfortable pace=>drank couple of gulps of water->and trained head-on for more than an hour.

However, when I am erging, my mouth dries quicker and when I do drink water and keep on erging, a couple of mins later, I am unable to push myself as I need to go the toilet.

For the sake of training well on the erg, when would be the best time to go to the bathroom, but more important, when and how much to drink water while erging?

I'll appreciate very much all your help.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 29th, 2006, 10:45 am

I drink 1/3 of a gallon before running or rowing.

Along with a 10 minute warm up, this helps my system to get cleaned out before the regular session.

If the 5 minutes on the erg isn't warming you up enough, try drinking more water, doing your regular 5 minute warm up run, visit the bathroom, then you'll be ready for the hour on the erg.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

hermannjp
Paddler

Thanks!

Post by hermannjp » July 29th, 2006, 11:15 am

Thank you, a lot. I appreciate it. :)

Steelhead
1k Poster

Re: Thanks!

Post by Steelhead » August 2nd, 2006, 11:50 am

hermannjp wrote:Thank you, a lot. I appreciate it. :)
If you are erging for an hour or less, you really don't need to drink water until after you are finished, particularly if you have to urinate frequently. However, if you don't want to train this way (survival training) then I recommend that you break your session up into segments of say 15 minutes, then you can drink water during the break and urinate if necessary.

Row on!
Mike

"Sometimes we have to do more than our best, we have to do what is required." Winston Churchill

Completed the Certificate Program in Plant-Based Nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation, January 11, 2011.

HammerHead Sk8r
Paddler

Post by HammerHead Sk8r » August 2nd, 2006, 12:42 pm

Newbie Comment Warning: The follow post is from a brand new rower so be warned that what he is about to type could possibly sound very stupid:

I recently began rowing on my new Concept2 and am stoked about the workout possibilities and the cross training I am getting from it. I too have been trying to determine optimal liquid intake for training and the best way to get enough while rowing. Like one of the previous posters I have always 'pre-loaded' for long workouts and/or races (cycling) and then after the warm up take a quick break to the bathroom (or side of the road, port-a-jon, or what have you) before beginning the full workout.

At first on the rower I had a water bottle close by but found it difficult to maintain pace while trying to get a drink. Then, (this is where the newbie dork stuff comes out) I tried rowing wearing my Camel Back trail runner waist pack (OK...I can hear you all laughing at that's visual...yeah...its totally stupid looking).....but, it worked great! I clip the tube under my arm out of the way of my row and where the mouth piece is easily reached by just tilting my head down. It only added miminul weight that was completely unnoticable my me ( I'm 6' 215 so a few ounces of water is not going to matter. I now wear it on all of my rows of 10000m's or more. ...and yes, my children and wife make fun of me but what's new?
HammerHead
Downhillbillies World Headquarters
Skatesville, North Carolina

Eat The Hill (or the Rower) Before it Eats You!

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » August 3rd, 2006, 9:20 am

I use the head and then drink water 8-10 sips from a fountain or a tall glass when at home, before erging. Then water afterward. But I'm generally not on the erg more than 45-50 minutes. I'd think a camelback would work great for those half- and full marathons. You wouldn't have to worry about losing rythmn or stopping too long. When I was cycling regularly, a camelback virtually replaced my 2 water bottles.

rurumon
Paddler

Re: Thanks!

Post by rurumon » August 4th, 2006, 10:38 am

Steelhead wrote:
If you are erging for an hour or less, you really don't need to drink water until after you are finished, particularly if you have to urinate frequently.
This dude is right, if you are reasonably hydrated before hand you can definately make it through even a strenous workout for <60 min. without worrying about dehydration.

Dry mouth isnt a symptom of dehydration, just an uncomfortability.

I'd say pound some water 30 minutes before hand, warmup, use the bathroom, the grunt until the end. Your body doesnt need any more water than that, just tell yourself that when you start to get dry mouth.
--Not setting the boat--

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » August 4th, 2006, 11:05 am

I think John Rupp was just pulling your chain, and he does that a lot. Drinking 40 ounces before a strenuous workout ought to make you vomit up the water.

Exercise Physiology texts will tell you the tested best is about a pint 30 minutes before a workout. Should not need to pee at all in a one hour workout unless you have a bladder or urinary tract problems.

If you were drinking something sweet, your body may have been trying to flush out excess sugar. Drink normal during the day, then a small water bottle about 30 minutes ahead if you must, and you should not need to go at all during your workout.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )