newcomer

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
skiracer
Paddler

newcomer

Post by skiracer » June 26th, 2006, 9:04 am

I'm a newcomer to rowing, I have a bunch of friends who do it and I decided to try the erg at the gym the other day knowing it was a great all-body workout. I tried a 5k and did it in 19:57.0. I don't know if this was good for my first time or not, but I'm in good shape from other sports like cycling and running so my fitness from those probably translates into rowing. I'd just like some tips on how to get started and what to do as a newbie to this. Thanks
16 years old, 6'1'', 178 lbs.

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » June 26th, 2006, 9:53 am

That's a great time for a newbie, even more for your age.
Did you have someone coaching you, or did you do it all by yourself?

Keep it on!
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!

dg1951
Paddler

Post by dg1951 » July 26th, 2006, 11:06 pm

Ditto on the great time for a newbie. When I first tried an erg, I was lucky enough to have a friend who had done some on water in a four. At the time there was no Concept2 website with video of technique. Today, I would check out any one of the videos available (both on water and erg). Also, the best tip I ever got was to imagine the handle had an phantom oar attached, during each phase of the stroke is blade of the oar in and out of the water when it should be. It's good to have a mirror to periodically check your form, too. Poor form is a sure injury waiting to happen. Good luck.
Dan

HammerHead Sk8r
Paddler

Post by HammerHead Sk8r » July 27th, 2006, 11:51 am

Skiracer, I just took up indoor rowing for cross training for a similar sport to yours (downhill and slalom skateboard racing) and like you I'm stoked.

I got my Concept 2 delievered last Thursday (July 20) and have already logged about 4 hours of row time on it. (Had a three day race event this past weekend so I didn't row Fri, Sat, Sunday..had races all three days).

I was not planning on doing in testing like you did with that 5k piece but couldn't resist it the other night so I did my first 2000k. I did a 1000m warm up then hit the 2000m set and did it in 8min 11.5 secs. Never felt near my anerobic threshold but did have a spike heart rate around 175bpm. I have had a neck injury that has been nagging me and I am carrying too much size right now. My last 500m was at a pace that would have put me in the mid 7 minute range...but I am newbie and don't have clue yet.

Good luck with your rowing....I am fired up about it. Did my first 7500m piece last night at a 27spm and damper of 4 at a light work rate but it felt great.
HammerHead
Downhillbillies World Headquarters
Skatesville, North Carolina

Eat The Hill (or the Rower) Before it Eats You!

michaelb
2k Poster

Post by michaelb » July 27th, 2006, 12:16 pm

I think rowing is great cross training for skiing, that was one of the reasons I took up rowing. I tele, so strength in those leg bends really help, but nothing like what you go through racing.

Although there is lots of discussion here over the years over various training plans, etc. I still think the easiest way to start off is to just row straight distances at medium intensity building up the 10k. Once you can row a 10k comfortably, you can mix it up if you want, or push on to the hour (I still find rowing an hour to be a long time). A sub40 10k would be a great benchmark for you, given your sub20 5k. Don't row hard or for a personal best every night, do that every few weeks or once a month instead.

The other much discussed tip for new rowers is to control your stroke rate, generally to keep it down, in the 20-25 range. Many of us also row "strapless", meaning we don't use the footstraps to hold our feet down. Rowing strapless will help teach balance and should almost certainly also lower your stroke rate.
M 51 5'9'' (1.75m), a once and future lightweight
Old PBs 500m-1:33.9 1K-3:18.6 2K-6:55.4 5K-18:17.6 10K-38:10.5 HM-1:24:00.1 FM-3:07.13