Odd technique variations during long piece

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
zenpharaohs
Paddler

Odd technique variations during long piece

Post by zenpharaohs » May 21st, 2006, 7:57 pm

I was rowing a marathon at my long distance pace today, and after about 8km I got some tightness in my shoulders but I continued rowing underhand for a few km. It put my shoulders in a much stronger position, and changed the active muscles over which sort of gave me a new lease on fatigue. It had another interesting effect - it put my back in a stronger position and that helped too.

As I got in about 17km I found something else out - by tilting back quite a ways, I could convert the rowing motion from something close to a squat into something closer to a deadlift, and it also changes over to more of a decline row and this was a lot easier on my back. Previously, I had always tried to catch well upright, so this sort of angle was only possible with a large rockover which was fatiguing. I did this for about 2km and then went back to a more normal stroke. Then I got interrupted (see other thread). I was maintaining my pace (about 2:20 / 500) at a stroke rate of about 11 - 12 strokes per minute.

This is in pretty stark contrast to when I am rowing at a pace for a shorter distance - I tend to like a completely consistent form for 10k or less. I would have just gutted stuff out if I was going for 10k, but I was planning on a marathon, so I was thinking about staying comfortable.

Does anyone else mess around with form during long distances?