Do I need a phone holder?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
hardlyart
Paddler

Do I need a phone holder?

Post by hardlyart » July 15th, 2023, 3:18 pm

After purchasing a BikeErg, I noticed that it didn't include an iPhone holder. While I understand the advantages of using the data from workouts and keeping records through the iPhone app, I'm wondering why there's a need to simultaneously view the screen of my iPhone and the data on the PM5 monitor?

fancyoats
1k Poster

Re: Do I need a phone holder?

Post by fancyoats » July 15th, 2023, 4:57 pm

I use my phone to watch tv/movies while I row, which wouldn’t really be possible for me without the holder. I think it’s adjustable enough to hold a larger tablet too, at least on the rowerg.
44F, 5'8", 150lb
practice makes progress

Elizabeth
2k Poster

Post by Elizabeth » July 15th, 2023, 5:40 pm

Various apps can show you more data than will display on the PM5. I like to set it to show current and prior splits and find it motivating during hard stuff to tell myself that I can't go slower than the interval before.

Some people use Zwift on their BikeErg, and that would require ready access to the app.

But overall, not a necessity.
IG: eltgilmore

btlifter
2k Poster

Post by btlifter » July 15th, 2023, 8:42 pm

Phone is not needed.

But if you want to use it, viewing it in real time is not needed.

But if you want to view it in real time, a holder is not needed. I just set mine on handlebar crossbeam.
chop stuff and carry stuff