Newbie, not increasing heart rate

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
BaileyDurrell
Paddler

Newbie, not increasing heart rate

Post by BaileyDurrell » April 30th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Hi,

I've been on my concept2 about a week. I made the switch after an ankle injury made it hard for me to run or treadmill everyday. I watched all the videos, worked on the pick drills, did the first workouts with the podcast.

Im just curious as I'm mildly fit, but no athlete. This exercise seems to be much less effort than running. I can run or treadmill about 30 minutes without walking but my heart rate is up and I'm sweating and out of breath. With rowing I can easily go 45 minutes with a stroke rate of 24. I don't feel sore anywhere as I assumed I would when working new muscles.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this just the beginning part and I'll be able to get more energy out as I get better? What goals should I have to be able to get my heart rate up and increase either aerobic exercise or strength?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Newbie, not increasing heart rate

Post by Citroen » April 30th, 2021, 6:12 pm

What pace are you doing? How far do you row in your 45 minute session?

You should be looking at 11K or more in that time based on the very desirable target of 15K in an hour.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » April 30th, 2021, 7:41 pm

Welcome to the forum, Bailey.

I think we can guess with 99.9999% certainty of being correct that the erg hasn't been the taxing for you because you haven't been pushing yourself enough. If you put in sufficient effort the machine is capable of providing one of the most brutally tough forms of exercise imaginable.

As Citroen indicates above, your pace (time / 500m) is the simplest way to check to see how you're doing. Were you below 2:00 ? If so, great, that's a handy benchmark for newbies. If you were closer to 3:00, that explains why you were feeling so good - you just weren't going that fast.

Good Luck, and have fun! (but be sure to push HARD with your legs...)

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » May 1st, 2021, 1:14 am

Rowing is different: it's the single stroke that counts, if we want to work hard. If we pull too many strokes, it's difficut to make each of them a good one, because the work involved will be too much.

If your HR does not increase, this only means you are not working, because you have not yet learnt to row; it does not happen automatically. Training by rowing starts with learning how it's done.

Each stroke has to be long, fast and hard, using the legs. The recovery can be slow: boats on water and flywheels in air do not stop immediately. This fast-slow action has to be learnt, if you wish to get fit. Note the sequences during recovery and pull:

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/ ... que-videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf84O5cTWY4

The only machine settings are drag factor and foot height. Set both low so that you can mimic the rowing action: fast pull, slow recovery, full length.

A Power level of 1W/kg will let you start; 2W/kg can allow a good level of strength and fitness, if done at rating 20: the better the stroke, the better your results.
08-1940, 183cm, 84kg. Last seen MHR 158 in 2k = 220 - 77% of age.
2021-2: stroke 6 W-min. ½k 1:55.5; 1k 4:09.2; 2k 8:42.2; 5k 23:15; 30' 6247; 10k 49:36.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » May 1st, 2021, 1:27 am

I don't feel sore anywhere as I assumed I would when working new muscles.
Rowing with standard technique does not use new muscles to any large extent: it uses those in legs and hips, which are already large and strong, so it's main effect is to train the CV system. Try climbing five or six flights of stairs, as slow as you like; a good rowing stroke produces the same effects, because it uses the legs. This is what lets us, or forces us, to train at low ratings.
08-1940, 183cm, 84kg. Last seen MHR 158 in 2k = 220 - 77% of age.
2021-2: stroke 6 W-min. ½k 1:55.5; 1k 4:09.2; 2k 8:42.2; 5k 23:15; 30' 6247; 10k 49:36.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » May 1st, 2021, 3:55 am

BaileyDurrell wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 5:42 pm
Hi,

I've been on my concept2 about a week. I made the switch after an ankle injury made it hard for me to run or treadmill everyday. I watched all the videos, worked on the pick drills, did the first workouts with the podcast.

Im just curious as I'm mildly fit, but no athlete. This exercise seems to be much less effort than running. I can run or treadmill about 30 minutes without walking but my heart rate is up and I'm sweating and out of breath. With rowing I can easily go 45 minutes with a stroke rate of 24. I don't feel sore anywhere as I assumed I would when working new muscles.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this just the beginning part and I'll be able to get more energy out as I get better? What goals should I have to be able to get my heart rate up and increase either aerobic exercise or strength?
Most important number on the rower is pace per 500m. If this is slow, certainly the case you are not doing much, get this number down and your heart will rapidlt work hard.
The machine does not create resistance, the rower working the machine does. Compare it with a bike, you can paddle lightly at day long, but also race like a madman. On the rower thats the same.

Ernits
500m Poster

Post by Ernits » May 7th, 2021, 9:47 am

Citroen wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 6:12 pm
What pace are you doing? How far do you row in your 45 minute session?

You should be looking at 11K or more in that time based on the very desirable target of 15K in an hour.
A "mildly fit, but no athlete" newbie rower is not going to be ANYWHERE near 2:00 pace for an easy row. Especially if he can't run for more than 30 minutes at a time. Even if he was doing 2:30 pace for an hour, I would think he is doing fine.

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » May 7th, 2021, 11:17 pm

Always found running really hard work but that said at least your not hitting the nasty cubic law of water or air resistance to the same degree as the rowing or the cycling.

As others have already said, like anything else its about pace. Due to that cubic law the effort to row at over 2:30/500m pace drops away significantly and so does your heartrate. Going for a brisk walk will get my HR up higher than rowing at 2:30.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log