Shoulder Tendonitis

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
peter neden
Paddler

Shoulder Tendonitis

Post by peter neden » September 7th, 2011, 4:09 pm

I have been rowing fairly regularly for a couple of years but stepped up from 30-40k per week to 50-60k per week a couple of months back

I have just been diagnosed with Supraspinatus Tendonitis. The Doc was rather vague on whether I should give up, reduce or carry on rowing. Pain is much reduced after a self imposed two week rest

Any advice?

Tall Man
Paddler

Re: Shoulder Tendonitis

Post by Tall Man » September 9th, 2011, 7:08 am

I have a problem with the same tendon mostly from overhead physical work. Demonstrated in the Dr office by raising my arm at about 45 degrees from straight ahead, with the hand rotated thumb down. Painfull as I raise the arm past horizontal. I did some physio and some non-drug injections buy an excellent sports medicine Dr who has run afowl of US Boarder Services. :(

All this was PRE-ERGING.

Erging has actually made me feel better. I think it has to do with balancing muscle use around my shoulder and improving my posture. Worst for me is high stroke rate where the faster "return" puts more work on this tendon.

Paul
Paul Y.
Toronto, ON

redzone
500m Poster

Re: Shoulder Tendonitis

Post by redzone » September 9th, 2011, 8:55 am

Tendonitis can be a total nightmare if not treated with the proper respect. I've had forearm tendonitis from OTW rowing for about 6 months. Acupuncture and serious rest have been the only things that did anything to mine at all (Cortisone shot - nothing after a few days, ice - nothing, physio - pretty much nothing, NSAIDs - Next to nothing). The biggest mistake I made was training when it was a bit better rather than waiting until it was totally gone.