Preparing for the hot weather

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
rhyszoe
Paddler

Preparing for the hot weather

Post by rhyszoe » August 6th, 2010, 9:33 pm

I have been putting in a pretty solid effort during our Australian winter, starting in May after not having rowed for almost 40 years. I average about 25k per week, which is not a huge distance in the cooler weather (sub 20C). However I do my work at a gym which is not airconditioned and am starting to wonder about how I am going to go when the weather heats up again. There are plenty of fans in the gym, but when the temperature outside gets up around the 35 to 40 mark, the ergometer is not the best place to be! I am clearly going to have to adjust my training routine and not expect to do quite as well on the 30 and 60 minute routines. Given how I sweat now during a 60 minute effort, a mop and bucket will be required during summer!
What adjustments would you suggest I make to my training routine, short of changing gyms to one that is airconditioned? I will certainly be saving the longer distance efforts for the cooler days, but are there other things I can do to maintain endurance?

jliddil
6k Poster

Re: Preparing for the hot weather

Post by jliddil » August 6th, 2010, 9:39 pm

JD