running to rowing comparison

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
yehster
500m Poster

Post by yehster » January 11th, 2007, 11:35 pm

Altough this may be true, the upper body makes a longer contribution to the total pull distance in each stroke. Try a 5 minute row with only the upper body, and then a 5 minute row with only the lower body, each one at the same SPM, and compare the distance rowed.
If your legs only drill results in a shorter distance than your upper body drill, I contend that you weren't pushing hard enough with your legs.

Even if your hands moved further during the "pull through" than your butt does during the leg drive portion of a stroke, (which it shouldn't), the force your legs generate is much bigger than your upper body generates. The distance ticked of on the PM is based on the work input. Work = force*distance, and I'd say that the force my leg drive generates at least 50% bigger than the force I generate with my upper body, my leg drive would have to be 2/3 or less the length of my upper body pull through for the legs to be less significant to the distance. Leg drive definitely isn't that much shorter, and I contend that it's probably longer unless you are built like a gorilla and have really long arms proportionately.

sir-les
Paddler

Post by sir-les » January 12th, 2007, 12:35 am

i believe rowing more efficiently is more about the co-ordination of the drive than it is about how much effort your legs and arms are doing. The hardest thing for newcomers to OTW rowing or erging is indeed mastering the most efficient stroke (co-ordinating the catch and drive utilising the legs, back and arms) and the most economical stroke rate combined with power output. Some people learn this very quickly, others can take a lot longer to pick it up. It is always funny to see people at the gym careering up and down the slide hands all over the place shooting the slide basically not getting any benefit out of their time on the machine. Even the gym instructors most of the time have no idea the benefits to be gained out of rowing or indeed how to row properly.
Whale...Oil...Beef...Hooked

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » January 12th, 2007, 1:46 am

Atorrante wrote: Altough this may be true, the upper body makes a longer contribution to the total pull distance in each stroke. Try a 5 minute row with only the upper body, and then a 5 minute row with only the lower body, each one at the same SPM, and compare the distance rowed. B)
It has been almost 75 years since I learned to row (1932) and one of the first things I had to learn was that, even with a fixed thwart, your legs get a workout. To get a hard pull, I found that I had to hook my heels in the angles made by the ribs of the heavy, flat-bottomed skiffs that I rowed in. Scores of years later, I learned about isometric excercise and realized that my thighs were working even though my knees were staying at fixed angles.

Bob S.

Atorrante
1k Poster

Post by Atorrante » January 12th, 2007, 1:48 pm

"If your legs only drill results in a shorter distance than your upper body drill, I contend that you weren't pushing hard enough with your legs"

Hi. Has to admit it, you are right. Today made a 5K pushing hard with my legs and improve my time in over 10 second of my best time for the distance. I wasn't using my legs as should be, so have to thank you for the advice.
54 years young, 5'7"
2K pb 7:05

Big Fat Fishy
Paddler

Re: running to rowing comparison

Post by Big Fat Fishy » January 12th, 2007, 5:03 pm

John Rupp wrote:Overall running is much more difficult. It is relatively easy to go from running to rowing, but not easy at all to go from rowing to running, as you basically have to start from the beginning all over again. I'm not saying you can go from running to rowing and row top times, but with a running background you can row for an hour right off the start with no problems. Conversely, rowing is not much preparation for running.
In my limited experience, I tend to agree. My running always left me better prepared for the Erg than the Erg did for my running.

But I also agree with the "to each his own" ideal. I can't stand swimming as a form of exercise, but I like erging and running. Some people I know who run well hate the erg and avoid it all costs. Also, big, powerful guys tend to do better at Erg tests than run tests.

If I were looking only at myself, I would say that I would have to add 10-20% to my erg miles to equal running miles, within the same time frame, keeping intensity or effort equal.

Maybe this is because you continue to generate meters travelled during the resting part of a rowing stroke, but if you stop running you just stop. There is no coasting (unless you're on roller skates, of course).
Look behind you.

Ducatista
2k Poster

Re: running to rowing comparison

Post by Ducatista » January 12th, 2007, 6:26 pm

Big Fat Fishy wrote:I can't stand swimming as a form of exercise...
Pft. And you call yourself Fishy.

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » January 12th, 2007, 8:09 pm

Ducatista wrote:
coggs wrote:I know I'd rather row 125,000 meters in a week than go for one 5 mile run.
I'd rather row 10K than run a block. That's not hyperbole, just the facts. I have no problem walking double-digit mileage, though, and I could swim damn near forever.
I can run very long pieces even when I'm not running regularely.
I now can also erg very long pieces, but it has cost me a lot, and costs me even more when I'm eing irregular with my training.
I'm erging much more than running because I tend to hurt myself while running lately (getting too heavy again?)

I'm quite a fast swimmer, but only up to 100m, afterwards I get very bored (and tired) :?

BTW, Ducatista. how's your Triumph going? Have you ordered your new Duc? Would very much fancy a test drive on it :wink:
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!