Looking to pull the trigger, some questions...

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
kini62
2k Poster

Re: Looking to pull the trigger, some questions...

Post by kini62 » August 17th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Mort wrote:Well guys, after much deliberation, I think I'll stick with Concept 2 and grab me a Model D. I probably won't do so until November...I'll take advantage of the pre-winter weather for now, and I just purchased an impromptu pair of Selecttech 1090 Dumbbells (50% off and free shipping coupon codes FTW) which set my bank account back a shade. Can't wait to be a part of the rowing community. Looking forward to hocking up a lung!
What about the dynamic erg? Takes up less space when rowing, easier on the knees....

A little late now but I would've gone with a set of Powerblocks any day over the cumbersome and poorly designed select Techs.

Enjoy the rower it's a great machine.

Gene

carlb
1k Poster

Post by carlb » August 17th, 2011, 12:25 pm

philwhite7 wrote:Where'd you get the Selecttech 1090s for 50 percent off? Can you share that with the rest of us - would love to get a pair!
PW
Since we are heading off topic.........

I've had the PowerBlock's for 10+ years and can recommend them. I think they make a high quality simple durable product. I had the older ones with more foam handles, then got the new ones with firmer shaped handles that I like more. I like that one set goes 5-50 then buy 20 lb handles to go 20-65. Makes it easier to move arround. Also got 1.25 and 2.5 lb magnents for small increments in weight, but rarely use them. Instead I'd probably spend the money (and did for wife) on their 3 lb increment set, they were closing out the old design 3-21's.

When I'm in stores it seems like the Nautilus/Bowtech type selectable weights are broken. Looking at Amazon I see comments that the handles broken and can be damaged fairly easily. Trainer says what I've found "try the Power Block, it is very rugged and will not wear out. The design of the Power Block is not as "sexy" but way more functional. ". There is a simple wire you slide in to select the weight, no fancy turn selector. There is no way for a plate to fall off.

Carl

ToddMR
Paddler

Post by ToddMR » December 14th, 2011, 4:28 pm

jamesg wrote:I think weight work and getting fit are contradictory: if you do some serious weights, you'll need 2-3 days recovery so won't be able to work enough to get fit. On the other hand if the weights are light, might as well get on the erg which lets you pull as you like.
I disagree strongly. I am a competitive powerlifter and olympic lifter and think that the C2 is the ideal companion to the weight room.

Nothing beats the C2 for warming up - a couple of moderate 500m pulls or a 1k before and after a heavy squat or deadlift day help warm up and cool down the joints without a lot of additional load-bearing work.

For off-days in the weightroom, I can adjust my longer pieces by moderating intensity depending on how my body feels, or even just having it around the house, a handful of moderate 500m pieces over the course of the day allows me to add some additional work that feels to me like it actually aids recovery.

You won't catch me doing something like rowing a marathon right after a heavy squat day, or in the days approaching a meet, but it's a great addition to a weight program.

You can mess up your recovery cycle by going all-out, but once you build a base, if you keep the work easy and keep in mind what your strength-goals are and the recovery they require, you'll get to where it hardly puts a dent in your recovery and may actually help you recover better.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » December 14th, 2011, 6:41 pm

ToddMR wrote:
jamesg wrote:I think weight work and getting fit are contradictory: if you do some serious weights, you'll need 2-3 days recovery so won't be able to work enough to get fit. On the other hand if the weights are light, might as well get on the erg which lets you pull as you like.
I disagree strongly. I am a competitive powerlifter and olympic lifter and think that the C2 is the ideal companion to the weight room.

Nothing beats the C2 for warming up - a couple of moderate 500m pulls or a 1k before and after a heavy squat or deadlift day help warm up and cool down the joints without a lot of additional load-bearing work.

For off-days in the weightroom, I can adjust my longer pieces by moderating intensity depending on how my body feels, or even just having it around the house, a handful of moderate 500m pieces over the course of the day allows me to add some additional work that feels to me like it actually aids recovery.

You won't catch me doing something like rowing a marathon right after a heavy squat day, or in the days approaching a meet, but it's a great addition to a weight program.

You can mess up your recovery cycle by going all-out, but once you build a base, if you keep the work easy and keep in mind what your strength-goals are and the recovery they require, you'll get to where it hardly puts a dent in your recovery and may actually help you recover better.
Indeed, recovery does not mean "doing nothing", in most nowedays weights/strenghttraining is a part of training almost al year round. And to recover from that no 2/3 days is needed. And if one does really hard work 2/3 days is far from enough, it can take more than a week to fully recover.

AJx
Paddler

Post by AJx » December 15th, 2011, 8:48 am

ToddMR wrote:

Totally agree, I make sure not to do anything intense on the erg 24-48 hours before a heavy dead/squat workout and generally try to do a 45-60min UT2 piece the day after to help recovery. It brilliant for loosening up the muscles and removing lactic acid, if combined properly results are achievable, although I would say not at such a significant rate as training for either/or.
20 M 158.4lb, 5'11''.
My Blog: http://concept2.co.uk/forum/blog.php?u=16034

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » December 21st, 2011, 1:35 pm

ToddMR wrote:I make sure not to do anything intense on the erg 24-48 hours before a heavy dead/squat workout and generally try to do a 45-60min UT2 piece the day after to help recovery. It brilliant for loosening up the muscles and removing lactic acid, if combined properly results are achievable, although I would say not at such a significant rate as training for either/or.

I've found that more intense exercise like running helps my squatting immensely.

In fact sometimes I need to stop behind a bush or tree and get in a quick squat before proceeding with my run.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

comictimes
Paddler

Post by comictimes » January 3rd, 2012, 7:39 pm

johnlvs2run wrote:
ToddMR wrote:I make sure not to do anything intense on the erg 24-48 hours before a heavy dead/squat workout and generally try to do a 45-60min UT2 piece the day after to help recovery. It brilliant for loosening up the muscles and removing lactic acid, if combined properly results are achievable, although I would say not at such a significant rate as training for either/or.

I've found that more intense exercise like running helps my squatting immensely.

In fact sometimes I need to stop behind a bush or tree and get in a quick squat before proceeding with my run.
Hahaha if we could give a "thumbs up" to posts I would definitely give it to this one!

On topic (although not the original topic), I agree with others that rowing and lifting work very well together. For me rowing is the focus, with lifting being additional, but I find that there are certain muscle groups that rowing doesn't work very well and so lifting can help with that. Also, I enjoy long steady states and so don't do HIIT as much as I should on the erg, and so lifting helps build muscle mass.
28/male, 6'4", 200lb.
2k: 6:20, 10k: 34:49, 1hr: 16,711, marathon: 2:41:31.7