Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by mikvan52 » June 8th, 2011, 10:12 am

bellboy wrote: So you are back up to 120df again. Whatever happened to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that was 95df.... you actually have the memory capacity of a goldfish
bellboy:
Please don't insult goldfish! :|

bellboy
2k Poster

Post by bellboy » June 8th, 2011, 10:20 am

mikvan52 wrote:
bellboy wrote: So you are back up to 120df again. Whatever happened to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that was 95df.... you actually have the memory capacity of a goldfish
bellboy:

Sorry Mike. Iv already had PETA on the phone berating me for that comment. Apparently they are aware of our erstwhile hero and they suspect he has something to do with the rapidly diminshing fish stocks in Michigan. His famed "technique" may just be tipping the ecological balance in a tragic new direction.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » June 8th, 2011, 10:57 am

bellboy wrote:
ranger wrote:
redzone wrote:See how many of the Ranger top 20 tips you can count here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rcureton#p/u/10/ntbp6b6tynE

I'm sure he's much better now though.

:D
Yes, _lots_ better.

That was a year ago.

I was rowing at max drag.

ranger
So you are back up to 120df again. Whatever happened to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that was 95df.
Max drag? The damper in the video is at about 5 - a long way from max.

Bob S.

NavigationHazard
10k Poster

Post by NavigationHazard » June 8th, 2011, 11:13 am

ranger wrote:
bellboy wrote:So you are back up to 120df again. Whatever happened to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that was 95df. It was all you could talk about two months ago.
120 df. is just fine.

For the last three years, I trained and raced at max drag (200+ df.).

So 120 df. is a _massive_ improvement.

95 df. was useful for certain purposes, but I think that 120 df. is best for me.

ranger
Perhaps it was someone else, then, who hiccuped his way through a 2k at BIRC 2010 with the damper lever on 5-6 and a DF of maybe 140-150:

67 MH 6' 6"

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » June 8th, 2011, 11:42 am

ranger wrote:
Byron Drachman wrote:So you now do 1:51@31 spm in your Fluid.
No.

But that would be a nice goal.

8 SPI

ranger
Yesterday, I was doing 1:50 @ 35 spm.

That's only 7.5 SPI.

ranger
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » June 8th, 2011, 11:46 am

Bob S. wrote:Max drag? The damper in the video is at about 5 - a long way from max.
Bob S.
Yes, I wasn't at max drag at BIRC 2010.

Then again, I didn't have any energy, so it didn't matter much.

In both 2009 and 2010, I did a lwt 6:41 at max drag.

That was clearly a mistake.

I think I would have done sub-6:30 at a lower drag, given that I got my weight right a couple of times and had some energy.

Live and learn.

I am _very_ settled on 120 df. now.

Feels like my boat.

In 2009 and 2010, I had yet learned how the use the full slide, keep an upright posture at the catch, keep my hips forward when I drive with my legs, relax my shoulders and core at the catch, relax my shoulders when I swing my back, etc.

These are the things that take advantage of low drag.

ranger

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » June 8th, 2011, 11:59 am

ranger wrote:
Bob S. wrote:Max drag? The damper in the video is at about 5 - a long way from max.
Bob S.
Yes, I wasn't at max drag at BIRC 2010.

Then again, I didn't have any energy, so it didn't matter much.

In both 2009 and 2010, I did a lwt 6:41 at max drag.

I think I would have done sub-6:30 at a lower drag, given that I got my weight right a couple of times and had some energy.

Live and learn.

I am _very_ settled on 120 df. now.

Feels like my boat.

In 2009 and 2010, I had yet learned how the use the full slide, keep an upright posture at the catch, keep my hips forward when I drive with my legs, relax my shoulders and core at the catch, relax my shoulders when I swing my back, etc.

ranger
Lies, lies and more lies

in 2009 and 10 you did races before and those where done on low drag, you can't handle that at all, so you had to put it up to max to get those results. 30/40 seconds above your "target"

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » June 8th, 2011, 12:51 pm

bellboy wrote:
mikvan52 wrote:
bellboy:

Sorry Mike. Iv already had PETA on the phone berating me for that comment. Apparently they are aware of our erstwhile hero and they suspect he has something to do with the rapidly diminshing fish stocks in Michigan. His famed "technique" may just be tipping the ecological balance in a tragic new direction.
We all should acknowledge on thing and give ranger some credit....> When TSO sculls he oxygenates the water much more than your average sculler.
Ah, yes! Eco-Ranger.... friend of the snail darter

and about the same size, too!
yowser, yowser, yowser!

He still hasn't answered my question though...
Please, Rich, do tell: When, Oh egg-beating one, are you going to grace a 5k OTW course with your corpulence and much-better-than-that-nowness?
3 Crash-B hammers
American 60's Lwt. 2k record (6:49) •• set WRs for 60' & FM •• ~ now surpassed
repeat combined Masters Lwt & Hwt 1x National Champion E & F class
62 yrs, 160 lbs, 6' ...

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » June 8th, 2011, 1:16 pm

ranger wrote: In both 2009 and 2010, I did a lwt 6:41 at max drag.

So, while not having mastered the things that take advantage of low drag, you think you would have been more than 11 seconds faster by rowing at lower drag? If only everyone realized that there was so much time to be gained just by lowering the drag, without making any other change!

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » June 8th, 2011, 2:39 pm

mikvan52 wrote:are you going to grace a 5k OTW
Sure.

The Head of the Charles.

I think I might be able to do 1:55 pace for 5K on a familiar course, sub-2:00 for 5K on an unfamiliar course.

So, still _waaay_ better than you.

If you can only do 1:48 for 5K OTErg, as you do, you are pretty limited OTW.

Your 2:03 or so is pretty much a limit.

15 seconds per 500m over your erg time.

I'll do a 5K @ 1:39 OTErg.

So, my limit OTW for 5K is 1:54.

ranger
Last edited by ranger on June 8th, 2011, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » June 8th, 2011, 2:46 pm

PaulH wrote: If only everyone realized that there was so much time to be gained just by lowering the drag, without making any other change!
Since 2003, I have made the _20_ changes I listed this morning.

Each of these changes is worth a couple of seconds over 2K, although this gain might not be demonstrable in full until all the changes are made.

Changes in technique are interdependent.

As in any mechanical/dynamic system, you only get the full benefit when you have all of the parts functioning smoothly together.

ranger

lancs
2k Poster

Post by lancs » June 8th, 2011, 3:15 pm

ranger wrote:So, still _waaay_ better than you.

ranger
This is the kind of Ranger logic I just love. He's so inferior to Mike OTW that it's not even worth discussing and yet he talks about being '_waaay_' better than him.

Presumably even he can see this?

You'd think?

Anyway Prof, back to more pressing matters. How's that 1:48 FM coming along? Have you figured out a way to stop yourself from handling down at around 5k at your FM pace? B)

ben990
1k Poster

Post by ben990 » June 8th, 2011, 4:00 pm

lancs wrote:
ranger wrote:So, still _waaay_ better than you.

ranger
This is the kind of Ranger logic I just love. He's so inferior to Mike OTW that it's not even worth discussing and yet he talks about being '_waaay_' better than him.

Presumably even he can see this?

You'd think?

Anyway Prof, back to more pressing matters. How's that 1:48 FM coming along? Have you figured out a way to stop yourself from handling down at around 5k at your FM pace? B)
You give him too much credit. At 1:48, he would handle down around 2500 meters or so. And then get a drink or four. And then post garbage and post garbage and post garbage and post garbage and ... well, you get the point.
Rich Cureton M 60 hwt 5'11" 180 lbs. 7:02.3 (lwt) 2K

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » June 8th, 2011, 4:09 pm

ranger wrote:
PaulH wrote: If only everyone realized that there was so much time to be gained just by lowering the drag, without making any other change!
Since 2003, I have made the _20_ changes I listed this morning.

Each of these changes is worth a couple of seconds over 2K, although this gain might not be demonstrable in full until all the changes are made.

Changes in technique are interdependent.

As in any mechanical/dynamic system, you only get the full benefit when you have all of the parts functioning smoothly together.

ranger
That's a new vPB everybody! Since 2003, when ranger was rowing around 6:30, he's improved by 20 lots of 2 seconds, giving us a new vPB of 5:50. Congratulations, ranger; I confess I didn't think you could do it, but blasting through the vSix vMinute vBarrier like that is awe inspiring!

Incidentally, saying "this gain might not be demonstrable in full until all the changes are made" doesn't really work as a get-out clause when you've already said (in the previous sentence no less) "I have made the _20_ changes". Though I suppose the fact that you haven't actually made them should count for something.

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » June 8th, 2011, 4:48 pm

ranger wrote:
mikvan52 wrote:are you going to grace a 5k OTW
Sure.

The Head of the Charles.

I think I might be able to do 1:55 pace for 5K on a familiar course, sub-2:00 for 5K on an unfamiliar course.

So, still _waaay_ better than you.

(snip)
All these numbers and correlations you've snatched out of thin air... (wrong)
If I'm "limited", why am I the best "E" lwt sculler at all distances in the US? :? :!:

But I was asking about your sculling, not mine.

Is it inebriation which prevents you form answering a simple question?
Why not have Juice Lady take dictation for you then?

Enlist her to post the names and dates of the 5k Head races you are going to do before the Head of the Charles this year.....

WTF does "familiar course" mean to you??? You haven't completed any so none are "familiar"...
...and your Head of the Grand splash-down would have only been 4k... a "tin-head"... IF you'd had finished...

No one believes your 1:58 BS... might as well give that brag a rest!

Juice Lady?... Oh, Juice Lady??
We are waiting...

Rich, save us the suspense... Go ahead, it's OK ... You can already confess that you have no intention of doing any head racing this year... Nor for that matter will you show up at WIRC next February...

The Black Fly Regatta is 5800m (last weekend in June) ... get the details on row2k or google for their web site.
How about GMS (9500m)
Or,,, Green Mountain Head (3 miles)... a stake race... You'd get slaughtered.