Burnout??

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Post by Rockin Roland » March 29th, 2008, 1:21 am

Sometimes it is very difficult to get motivated to train on a stationary erg that has no visual stimulation and goes nowhere. Erging in such a way can get very boring when you use it several times per week.

Rowpro will add some much needed visual stimulation plus has the added benefit of training with other people online. You still have to use a boring stationary erg but it might just be enough to keep you motivated.

Alternatively, rowing on the water is by far the best exercise motivator. As your technique improves you just get more hooked on the sport as the feeling of a boat moving under you simply can't be felt on a stationary erg.

If you can't get on the water then maybe you should consider getting a different brand of erg such as a Rowperfect (if you can get your hands on one) or an Oartech (still a stationary erg but a totally different feel to a C2 erg). I find those ergs far more enjoyable to use than a C2.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

jwint
Paddler

Re: Burnout??

Post by jwint » April 11th, 2008, 3:31 pm

[quote="RowtheRockies"][i][b]I have finally come to the conclusion after 4 failed restarts over the last 2.5 years that my back just won't hold up for running any more.[/b][/i] I am fine with that as I love to Erg.

Problem is starting about a week ago, I have had little motivation to row and the couple of times I have I have been unable/unwilling to push myself and today stopped after only 4K.

Do any of you ever get this way? What do you do to get the hunger to train and train hard back? Open to any and all suggestions.[/quote]

Well, I find it interesting that you ask a question about rowing by first describing your disappointment with running. That seems to say something about where your head is.

If you love running and reach a point in life where you can't do it anymore, then you've lost a good friend.

Any time you lose a friend you will experience various stages of grief. One author (Kubler-Ross) identified five:

Denial (this isn't happening to me!)

Anger (why is this happening to me?)

Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)

Depression (I don't care anymore)

Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

Sounds like you've made a bargain with yourself that NOT running is OK because you [i]"love rowing/erging."[/i]

But NOT being able to run is [b]NOT OK[/b]. [i][b]THAT REALLY SUCKS! [/b][/i] It's a tough break and I'm sorry it happened to you. Small consolation . . . is that the body heals quickly and often performs miracles so your running may come back some day.

For now, chill. Own your feelings and just go with them. If you're not motivated to row . . . don't row.

Eventually, the motivation will come back. Try not to eat or drink too much crap in the mean time so you don't put on a bunch of weight.

For now, enjoy being lazy. :D

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » April 11th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Well I am now into my third week of the interactive program and my head is fully back in the game. Looking forward to my workouts again and getting the hunger to do some faster stuff but am committed to finishing out the plan and seeing what kind of results I can get.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. That's the great thing about a forum like this!

Cheers and Happy Erging!

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

jjpisano
1k Poster

Post by jjpisano » May 7th, 2008, 8:38 pm

I rowed on the Concept 2 for more than 6 straight years and got in great shape. I started out at 214 lbs and competed lightweight for 5 years from the age of 37 to 41. I was pretty intense for years.

This past year I just couldn't get down to weight. In addition, added responsibilities at work helped me ween my self off my obsession. It wasn't a bad obsession.

Now I'm doing a variety of workouts when the opportunity affords itself. Tonight I did 40 minutes of waterpolo with 2 of my sons - basically rough-housing for 40 minutes. Yesterday I rough-housed for an hour. Sunday, I swam for an hour and 20 minutes. I've been running and walking and playing with the boys and lifting.

My weight is slowly climbing. Last night I weighed in at 203. My present 203 is a much more vigorous and sturdy 203 than my chubby and out of shape 214 was years ago.

I could say that I was burnt out on the Concept 2 but I like to think of it as diversifying my workouts.

I dream of buying a scull. I've been waiting to buy a scull for over 20 years - ever since the day I stepped out of the eight at Columbia University after my last row in May 1987 (actually I last raced at Canadian Henley in the summer of 1987). I have long time horizons.

I may not be on the Concept 2 anymore but I'm betting I'll return to it as a supplement to my sculling. And I'm betting that I'll compete again - probably as heavywieght, however. Who knows, if I get obsessed enough perhaps I can be lightweight once again.
Jim SWCSPI Pisano