2k excellence?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » January 2nd, 2008, 7:19 am

Why did you post that shot?
To show off my beautiful force curve.

She's a bit of a prima donna.

She likes to get a lot of attention from men her age.

:lol: :lol:

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » January 2nd, 2008, 7:21 am

Rocket Roy wrote:The courage to post a workout, timed and measured for instance?
Yes, I am indeed courageous enough to resist peer pressure and not be sucked into the mistake of constant testing, which ruins your training, not to mention your health and well-being.

:lol: :lol:

Stupidity and courage are somewhat different character traits.

ranger

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » January 2nd, 2008, 10:57 am

ranger wrote:
Rocket Roy wrote:The courage to post a workout, timed and measured for instance?
Yes, I am indeed courageous enough to resist peer pressure ...

Stupidity and courage are somewhat different character traits.

ranger
Yet you seem to have made them inseparable! :twisted:

You're in A Hole! Stop Digging!
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

JimR
5k Poster

Post by JimR » January 2nd, 2008, 1:17 pm

ranger wrote:
Actually, past events have no bearing on future occurrences.
Ah, "moment time" again.

Our postmodern age is quite an affair.

_Total_ delusion.

There is nothing permanent, nothing even stable, not even a probable cause.

Only the drama of the performance.

Only the drama.

Turn your TV off, dude.

It's turned your brains into silly putty.

ranger
What a disappointing response to the point! I believe the situation is this ...
1) You claim a 55 LWT can pull a 6:18 2K ... based on what I have no idea.
2) You claim that of the several people who are anywhere near this there is only one that will acheive this milestone ... you.
3) When asked for any indication of performance to back your claim you have nothing but excuses and force curves.

I do think this whole dream of yours is interesting however, in a very short time we will discover if you ...
> go to the competitions you claim you will
> make lightweight as you claim you will
> get the results you claim you will

In the end I think it with be either excuses or silence followed by excuses followed by even more wild claims (as we have been treated to for the past year).

The drama called Ranger ... a trainwreck you just have to look at!

JimR

George Dunning
1k Poster

Post by George Dunning » January 2nd, 2008, 2:39 pm

Ranger when will you post the results of the 8 x 500 / 3:30 rest you said you would do at least once or twice this week and every week from now thru till racing .... or have you changed your mind again. I would like to think this was not another mis-understanding, as it has been every other time you said you would do something similar.

By the way you still have not answer the question about when you did the HM at 1:52 rate 18, surely that was not a lie :?:
'Salaam aleykum'

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » January 2nd, 2008, 3:03 pm

George Dunning wrote:Ranger when will you post the results of the 8 x 500 / 3:30 rest you said you would do at least once or twice this week and every week from now thru till racing .... or have you changed your mind again. I would like to think this was not another mis-understanding, as it has been every other time you said you would do something similar.

By the way you still have not answer the question about when you did the HM at 1:52 rate 18, surely that was not a lie :?:
Isn't it obvious George? Rowing in the dark and using no monitoring but feel, he accomplished the targets right on the mark. No need for proof of any kind, as that would make it "racing your training".

In other words: TSO is lying. :twisted:
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

JimR
5k Poster

Post by JimR » January 2nd, 2008, 5:56 pm

George Dunning wrote:Ranger when will you post the results of the 8 x 500 / 3:30 rest you said you would do at least once or twice this week and every week from now thru till racing .... or have you changed your mind again. I would like to think this was not another mis-understanding, as it has been every other time you said you would do something similar.

George, You may not be aware that Mr. Ranger committed (on the UK site) to doing a 1K at a 1:36 pace by 12/22/07 and posting a video of the event. This was something he said he was doing and was well within his abilities at the time.

Needless to say, nothing was delivered. It will likely be the same outcome here. We should surmise that the 8 x 500m w/ 3:30 rest (a very common workout) will not be part of the sharpening plan for Mr. Ranger, all his postings aside.

JimR

Rocket Roy
2k Poster

Post by Rocket Roy » January 2nd, 2008, 7:05 pm

where is his first race Jim? What date is it on?

sorry to ask these question but apparently I don't listen.... :wink:
Lwt 55+ World Record Holder 6.38.1 (2006-2018)
World champion 2007, 2009, 2014.
2k pb...6.34.7
cycling
25 miles...55;24
10 miles...21.03
Golf best gross 78, 8 over par.

ccwenk
Paddler

Post by ccwenk » January 2nd, 2008, 8:09 pm

You have gotten good advice from several people already. I think that it would help to know what your workout schedule looks like for your rows (OTW and erg) with the team as well as what year you are in school and what you have been doing to get to where you are.

JimR
5k Poster

Post by JimR » January 2nd, 2008, 10:15 pm

Rocket Roy wrote:where is his first race Jim? What date is it on?

Elkhart, Indiana ... but I'm pretty sure something will come up yet. Funny how life always gets in Rangers way ... must be all that planning doesn't help much!

Based on the HM you reported it appears you listen to what matters. I find it hard to focus on Rangers storylines, they wander about so.

JimR

Rocket Roy
2k Poster

Post by Rocket Roy » January 3rd, 2008, 5:22 am

JimR wrote:
Rocket Roy wrote:where is his first race Jim? What date is it on?

Elkhart, Indiana ... but I'm pretty sure something will come up yet. Funny how life always gets in Rangers way ... must be all that planning doesn't help much!

Based on the HM you reported it appears you listen to what matters. I find it hard to focus on Rangers storylines, they wander about so.

JimR
Yeah, the story lines are good but every now and again you MUST give the reader an interesting fact like I did x at xx.xx.x. But hey what do I know about storylines..........As Bob Newhart said "I just report the facts" :wink: God he was funny wasn't he?
Lwt 55+ World Record Holder 6.38.1 (2006-2018)
World champion 2007, 2009, 2014.
2k pb...6.34.7
cycling
25 miles...55;24
10 miles...21.03
Golf best gross 78, 8 over par.

almostflipped
1k Poster

Post by almostflipped » January 3rd, 2008, 8:36 pm

So........why do you guys bother even acknowledging ranger? Its pretty clear he's winning every single discussion on this board and the UK one by virtue of being given the attention that he so dearly desires. Why not just ignore each and every single post as that will drive him (and every other troll out there) far more mad than addressing the posts. Let him talk all he wants, it won't take long for people to educate themselves about the sport and see him for what he is.

bmcgraw
Paddler

Post by bmcgraw » January 3rd, 2008, 8:53 pm

Elamonta,

This thread kinda got off track, but I'm in your same position. Currently a junior in college, lightweight, trying to get under 6:40 this season.

My best 2k is 6:59.2. That was in the middle of last spring. I think that if I pulled one now it would be lower but I don't think I could accurately predict it.

My best 6k this semester was a 22:26. The split was ~1:52.x

My winter break routine consists of about ~4 erg sessions per week and 2 lifting sessions. My university routine will consist of 4 morning erg workouts, 2 morning lifts, and then however many afternoon workouts I can get in (usually ~3, though I'm used to doing 2 a days during fall season which was 100% OTW, so I'm not sure my body will be able to handle that many workouts per week).

Haven't been super strict with the Wolverine plan, but have definitely been trying to switch off the long steady state rows with shorter 8x500 or 4x1k pieces.

Also, I weigh about 172 right now which totally sucks but I have enough bodyfat that cutting to 160 shouldn't be impossible.

Elamonta
1k Poster

Post by Elamonta » January 3rd, 2008, 8:53 pm

Not knowing ranger personally, I am not going to cast a stone in this debate lol...but very good words of wisdom for dispelling of said "trolls" just ignore their presence and if they show up at the races then all the more chances to shut said person up.
Height: 6'0
Weight: 160lbs
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1205288465.png[/img]
(Season bests)

Elamonta
1k Poster

Post by Elamonta » January 3rd, 2008, 9:00 pm

bmcgraw, I too worry sometimes about lowering weight, but our coach has a strict lightweight declaration plan that we must follow (weigh-ins daily come race time) and its a nice gradual weight decrease to discourage quick drops. On January 16th is our welcome back 2k and if interested all ltwts have to be under 172lbs so if you rowed here you would be ok...for now lol.

On a more topic-related note, I have come to the realization that my endurance seems to be the main factor holding me back on my 2k scores. I pull a 1:29-1:30 500m sprint, yet my 6k best is at a 1:55 avg. Definitely not close to you or many sub 7 ergers. Many have said that the sub 1:30 500m sprint indicates that sub-7 should almost be automatic (which to some extent I agree...everyone is different). I am definitely going to be focusing on longer steady state rows and supplement those with the occasional 8 x 500m etc...

Out of curiousity what University do you row for? Just wondering if we might cross paths in our LTWT adventures lol...
Height: 6'0
Weight: 160lbs
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1205288465.png[/img]
(Season bests)