Dealing with 30 minutes of rowing

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Storm Petrel
1k Poster

Post by Storm Petrel » September 27th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Duplicated post. :oops:

dmtattny
Paddler

Giving up

Post by dmtattny » September 29th, 2007, 1:34 pm

I calculate the fraction of time remaining (which is not easy in my case and therefore pretty distracting) or switch the PM to unfamiliar units (for me calories) or change to screen to the force curve display and try to make identical curves - before you know it, you're done
M 47, 5'10", 84 kg

Big Fat Fishy
Paddler

Find interesting workouts

Post by Big Fat Fishy » October 3rd, 2007, 2:43 pm

I first erged as part of a fitness test. Went into it completely untrained and got through it on guts and determination. Believe me, it hurt.

So after that I figured that if I ever had to do that again, I should train for it.

At first all I would do is go as hard as I could for 10min. That was it. 10min of the hardest pace I could maintain. Later on when I was more "sophisticated" I added a warm-up, and a cool down. But still the workout was akin to beating myself with a lead pipe.

A year or two later I finally smartened up and asked a friend who had rowed in university and he gave me a bunch of workouts to try. Wow, did that ever make a difference! Varyied stroke rates, varied intervals, it really helped pass the time.

A few good examples:

Pyramid:
4-3-2-1-2-3-4 (minutes)
Longer pieces are slower, say 20spm, increasing by 2spm until you hit the top, then back down in incremenets of 2spm on the way down, ie
20-22-24-26-24-22-20 spm.
A good 19min workout.

Another poster used the 4-3-2-1-4-3-2-1 variant. Also great, and you can add sets to increase the workout by 10min each time. Do 2 for a 20min workout, 3 for 30min, 4 for 40min, etc.

Stairs:
Harder
2-2-2-2-2 (min)
20-22-24-26-28 spm
More time is spent at higher spm, so it's harder. Again, it's a 10min set so after you hit the top (28spm for 2min) start over at the bottom and go again.

Here's a nice long one, more complicated:

Aerobic Speed (43min):
4min - very easy pace
4min - easy pace
3min - medium pace/intensity
5min - easy
3min - medium-hard
5min - easy
2min - hard
5min - easy
2min - medium
5min - easy
5min - very easy

I do this with a Heart Rate monitor, but you can do it by feel and by varying stroke rates and/or split times.
Look behind you.

Jamie Pfeffer
2k Poster

Whatever it takes

Post by Jamie Pfeffer » October 4th, 2007, 9:44 am

I row alone in my gym (ok, my basement). 30 minutes is a long time to push on the machine. So I usually need help. Sometimes I watch a soccer game. The halves are always 45 minutes. But the experience depends on the game being compelling.

My favorite way to row 30 minutes is to use Xeno's 19-minute pyramid.
I row for 6 minutes, then press play on the DVD ad get a companion for 19; then I only need to row for 5 minutes alone.

But I really wish he would make a steady state DVD. That would be awesome. So, Xeno, if you're out there, please give us a 30-60 minute continuous row.

To answer one of your questions, of course you're not being "weak." You're being human. And to continue even when you have those thoughts, makes you great.

Best,
Jamie

timmyj
Paddler

30 minute row

Post by timmyj » October 5th, 2007, 9:55 pm

not to sound simple but if your 30 minutes is dreadful either break it up with three ten minute rows with a minute or two inbetween since it would not detract from your cardio or do what i did: stop rowing longer distances...since i wrote off the longer distances (for racing not for working out) and i stick to the 500 the 4 minute and the 2K, life has gotten much better...and remember if it aint fun, you aint gonna stick with it anyway.
happy rowing

Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Post by Rockin Roland » October 6th, 2007, 11:46 pm

Staying focused for your workout on a C2 erg for 30 minutes is very difficult at the best of times. It's painful and boring but if you can hang in there then you'll be rewarded by great fitness/health benefits.

In comparison to erging I find that 30 minutes (even at high intensity) passes by very quickly rowing on the water. However I understand that not everyone has the same opportunity to row 5 days a week 12 months of the year on the water like myself.

However, I still do some erging and find that it is so much easier to stay focused for 30 minutes on a Rowperfect (with the moving flywheel) than a C2 erg. It must have something to do with the momentum and rhythm that you feel with the moving flywheel. It is so much more enjoyable than the dead weight/action feel of a stationary erg.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

gregory.cook
6k Poster

Post by gregory.cook » October 7th, 2007, 9:41 pm

I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if this someone else has already suggested any of this.

Plan on using varying paces and stroke rates throughout the 30 minutes and concentrate on hitting your targets; if you plan on rowing at 1:56 then hit 1:56.0 exactly, not 1:55.9 and not 1:56.1. The Wolverine Plan level 4 workouts have done all the planning for you in advance; all you have to do is concentrate.

Also, work up to 60 minutes pieces. After a few of those, 30 minutes will seem like nothing.

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. -- Albert Camus

iain
10k Poster

Me too

Post by iain » October 11th, 2007, 7:51 am

It took me 3 attempts to manage the first 30 min on the IP for moderately fit people! I find the WP derived splits help, particularly as at any time only 2-4 mins is shown at a time. This allows me to concentrate a section at a time.

I found an even bigger problem with the repeated UT1 exercises. I had more trouble with 2 x 12min than 1 x 30! I always speeded up into AT levels or above for the final couple of minutes. After (partially) recovering, I found the second rep very hard to finish and have failed to do so now on 3 occasions in 3 weeks (excl. the start above).

I ensure that I always add an extra rep for more minutes than were remaining when I stopped so I don't "get away with it". Today I also changed from a rest between the pieces to 60sec for a drink and towelling, then the balance as an "Active Recovery" row.

I am a novice, but for me the components of completing are:

1) Set a realistic target and stick to it.
2) Use short sub-intervals (0 recovery) with varied targets
2) Never let yourself have an easy time by giving up
3) Record the intention as well as the result, completing can then be a boost in itself and
4) Active recovery between pieces

But as I am a starter, I would take my advice with a lot of caution.
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/

iain
10k Poster

Me too

Post by iain » October 11th, 2007, 7:53 am

It took me 3 attempts to manage the first 30 min on the IP for moderately fit people! I find the WP derived splits help, particularly as at any time only 2-4 mins is shown at a time. This allows me to concentrate a section at a time.

I found an even bigger problem with the repeated UT1 exercises. I had more trouble with 2 x 12min than 1 x 30! I always speeded up into AT levels or above for the final couple of minutes. After (partially) recovering, I found the second rep very hard to finish and have failed to do so now on 3 occasions in 3 weeks (excl. the start above).

I ensure that I always add an extra rep for more minutes than were remaining when I stopped so I don't "get away with it". Today I also changed from a rest between the pieces to 60sec for a drink and towelling, then the balance as an "Active Recovery" row.

I am a novice, but for me the components of completing are:

1) Set a realistic target and stick to it.
2) Use short sub-intervals (0 recovery) with varied targets
2) Never let yourself have an easy time by giving up
3) Record the intention as well as the result, completing can then be a boost in itself and
4) Active recovery between pieces

But as I am a starter, I would take my advice with a lot of caution.
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/

gregory.cook
6k Poster

Post by gregory.cook » October 11th, 2007, 10:24 pm

[Removed. Posted on the wrong thread. I'm a dumbass.]

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. -- Albert Camus

Jamie Pfeffer
2k Poster

Post by Jamie Pfeffer » October 12th, 2007, 2:46 pm

Watching TV pulls me through pieces. I don't like shows that require me to concentrate, though.