Waiting to Exhale

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

What's your breathing pattern while erging?

In on the recovery, out on the drive.
27%
In on the drive, out on the recovery.
18%
Multiple breaths per stroke, depending on pace/rate.
32%
Multiple breaths per stroke, regardless of pace/rate.
14%
Pattern, schmattern. I sound like a freakin' Lamaze class.
No votes
All, none, or several of the above.
9%

Total votes: 22

Ducatista
2k Poster

Waiting to Exhale

Post by Ducatista » June 21st, 2007, 10:49 am

Just curious about others' breathing patterns. (I know this is sort of a dupe of marvy1's topic, but I want to get specific.)

I've gone both ways - inhale on the drive vs. exhale on the drive. My not-the-flattest stomach makes inhaling on the drive easier, but years of habit, on the erg and in the weight room, make exhaling on the drive more intuitive (and more satisfying, if I exaggerate the exhalation).

I've done both enough that I now find myself unconsciously switching back and forth over the course of a session. I can't decide whether that's fine, or whether I should pick one way or the other and stick with it.

Thoughts? Does conventional wisdom prefer one method over the other, or some other option I haven't tried?

Thanks!

Ann

chgoss
10k Poster

Post by chgoss » June 21st, 2007, 11:32 am

Breath in at the very end of the recovery
Hold during drive
exhale at end of drive
in on beginning of recovery,
out at end of recovery

two breath's per stroke.. it works pretty good if I dont think about it.. If I start thinking about it, I tend to over or under breath...

Rowing is a very difficult sport with respect to breathing.. Running/cycling it's never even an issue.
52 M 6'2" 200 lbs 2k-7:03.9
1 Corinthians 15:3-8

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » June 21st, 2007, 2:12 pm

I've done them all but usually exhalation on the drive, in line with contraction of the muscles.

Most important is the rhythm of breathing, not breathing in excessively, and making sure to give the exhalation time to expel the air as intended.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Snail Space
2k Poster

Post by Snail Space » June 21st, 2007, 5:01 pm

chgoss wrote:Breath in at the very end of the recovery
Hold during drive
exhale at end of drive
out at end of recovery

two breath's per stroke.. it works pretty good if I dont think about it.. If I start thinking about it, I tend to over or under breath...

Rowing is a very difficult sport with respect to breathing.. Running/cycling it's never even an issue.
That's my chosen method too. If my technique deteriorates, or my rate drifts upwards, I concentrate on making that breathing rhythm as smooth as possible. It seems to restore a nice cadence with the rowing technique.

Cheers
Dave

Buckiller

Post by Buckiller » June 21st, 2007, 7:39 pm

Hold during drive
exhale at end of drive
out at end of recovery

I am going to go erg and figure out what I do naturally... im pretty sure this is my breathing for high spm, but at low spms I dont think it is.

Mitchell
Paddler

Post by Mitchell » July 1st, 2007, 10:32 am

I normally breathe out on the drive and in on the recovery. When I increase the intensity of the workout, I find I still breathe out on the drive, but breathe in, out, in on the recovery. My final inhalation being at the very end of the recovery, just before the drive.

JohnFlynn
Paddler

Post by JohnFlynn » July 2nd, 2007, 10:27 am

Hold during drive
exhale at end of drive
out at end of recovery

same
146lbs
LP: 1:21 / 2k: 6:57