Improving Lower Back Posture

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
GUROWER
Paddler

Improving Lower Back Posture

Post by GUROWER » May 3rd, 2007, 2:12 pm

As a rower, I constantly find my lower back weak and unable to support my weight without rounding my back. I was wondering if you could suggest and exercises or lifts which would improve my posture.

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » May 3rd, 2007, 2:57 pm

The dorsal raise described here might help:

http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/guide.p ... bler_seven

I also have some lower back problems and I'll pass along a tip I picked up at the forum that has been very helpful to me. Pretend the coach has made a fist and is gently pushing against the small of your back when you're rowing. It will help you sit tall and I think by concentrating on keeping the small of your back as forward as it can go while you're rowing, it eventually strengthens your back.

I hope this helps. I try to row like Elia Luini or Rebecca Romero,

http://www.rebeccaromero.co.uk/gallery_rowing.htm

who keep their backs well supported. If I forget and start to slouch, my back will let me know.

Byron

bscastro
500m Poster

Post by bscastro » May 3rd, 2007, 4:03 pm

This is a problem I have dealt with as well. In my case there are several reasons:
1. my hamstrings are very flexible
2. bad habits

I spoke with my chiropractor and besides strengthening the back (and abs) she pointed out that hamstring flexibility affects ability to "sit up straight" and also noted that until it becomes a habit, one must focus on it constantly.

So I've worked on it quite a bit on the erg and in working on hamstring (and general leg) strength and flexibility.

Bryan

bscastro
500m Poster

Post by bscastro » May 3rd, 2007, 4:05 pm

Byron Drachman wrote:The dorsal raise described here might help:

I hope this helps. I try to row like Elia Luini or Rebecca Romero,

http://www.rebeccaromero.co.uk/gallery_rowing.htm

who keep their backs well supported. If I forget and start to slouch, my back will let me know.

Byron
Thanks for the link. It was very helpful in visualizing what one should do.

Bryan

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » May 5th, 2007, 2:44 pm

I forgot to mention that a seat that can be set to be unstable helps strengthen the core. The CorePerform seat gets high ratings. I didn't realize it was available so I have a simpler, homemade seat that can be set to be unstable or else stable. It's a very subtle thing and you might not think it's doing much, but if you spend a lot of time with the C2 with the seat that can wobble, it definitely strengthens the back and abs, and the good thing is that it doesn't take any extra time. You just do it while you're doing your indoor rowing.

You're welcome for the link. Isn't that a beautiful stroke she has?

Byron

Rocky
Paddler

Post by Rocky » May 14th, 2007, 10:05 pm

I pulled my back one year in the fall; it was cold and I wasn't properly warmed up. It didn't quite feel the same for the rest of the season.

Coach prescribed back extensions for winter training. Here's a link:
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/back.extension.html

My back was as good as new come spring. I still do back extensions to keep my back strong, and I haven't had any problems. I use a roman chair, but you can also use a stability ball. I also do situps to balance things out, of course.

For the back extensions, start with lower reps, then increase. If you do too many the first time out, you can end up with a very tight back several hours later. Better to NOT hyperextend (arch) the back at the top of the extension, as some folks say this can compress the disks. As you get stronger, hold a weight plate.

In terms of rowers that are good at supporting the back, what do you think of these? Some row with a slightly rounded back. Thoughts?

http://www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/
Click on "Stroke Cycles" on the left side of the page.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » May 15th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Rocky wrote:
In terms of rowers that are good at supporting the back, what do you think of these? Some row with a slightly rounded back. Thoughts?

http://www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/
Click on "Stroke Cycles" on the left side of the page.
The three erg look very good, haven't looked at the others. Rowing with a slightly rounded back is fine and actually better then having a stiff hyper extended back. HOWEVER it is absolutely critical to swing from the hips. Many people have a lot of trouble with that and don't know how to differentiate between the hips and the pelvis. If you are not swinging from the hips then you are bending and extending your back each stroke and that will put a lot of stress on your back.

Rocky
Paddler

Post by Rocky » May 15th, 2007, 6:05 pm

Nosmo,
I am one of those that can't tell the difference between "swinging from the hips and swinging from the pelvis."

Could you explain a bit more?

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » May 15th, 2007, 8:22 pm

Rocky,
If someone says "put your hands on your hips" most people would put their hands on their illiac crest, which are the bones on the sides at the top of their pelvis. Your hip joints are actually much lower down and close in. They are approximately half way between your illiac crest and pubic bone. Very few people have a somatic sense of how close together and low their hip joints really are.
SO... sit upright on the edge of chair, and put your hands on your illiac crest. Lean forward and back as you would when rowing. If you are bending your back your illiac crest not move much. If you move from the hip joints, your illiac crest will swing back and forth and your hip joints, illiac crest and head will remain in the same relative alignment.
On Sunday I watched a very good coach teach someone to erg for the the first time. The first thing the coach said was "the secret to rowing is knowing where your hips are".

Rocky
Paddler

Post by Rocky » May 16th, 2007, 4:35 pm

Thanks, that is very helpful! Now to put it into practice....