how do you train?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
irrovica
Paddler

how do you train?

Post by irrovica » November 29th, 2006, 9:46 pm

I would be interested to learn more about the way other erg maniacs structure their training. How many session/meters would you row per week? training structure (endurance vs. intervals, etc). What about supplementing strength training, stretching, core work?

I do ca. 50-70k per week (6-8 sessions per week, less if I do business travel) and currently follow the Pete Plan. I train rather hard and combine the erg training with 1-2 strength training sessions per week (dumbbells, resistance tubes). Stretching is every day. :shock:

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » November 30th, 2006, 11:25 am

irrowvica,

Training sessions depend upon what you're training for. Pete's Plan is a great way to go if you're working toward a Crash B or Ergomania competition. Likewise, the Wolverine Plan, detailed in various threads on this forum, is a great way to go. Both can be modified to adjust for travel, on the water rowing, seasonalilty, etc..

But remember that for continued development and improvement, you need to adjust the rowing routine every so often, same as you would do for various weight lifting routines. Otherwise, you can get stale and stuck in a rut.

I take Pilates classes to help on developing the core and improving flexibility. Hatha or power yoga can do the same thing. In the off season, you may want to try various other aerobic activities-- running/racewalking, biking, aerobics classes, etc.-- and perhaps do long, slow, low rating ergs or go strapless.

If someone in your area offers alternative conditioning training--kettleballs, sandbags, tire pulls--try that instead of the weight machines.

Train strong and row hard.

ST

irrovica
Paddler

Post by irrovica » November 30th, 2006, 11:59 am

I agree with your comments on changing the routine every so often both for rowing and supplemental activities. As a matter of fact, strength training using weights and tubes (I like tubes better) is only 1-2 /week on my agenda. I also use Pilates mat work for Core strength and overall conditioning ca. 3x per week. Are you taking Pilates classes? I train with the guidance of a few videos that teach the classical Pilates techniques but also like the "Oarsome Foursome" workouts.

irrovica
Paddler

Post by irrovica » November 30th, 2006, 12:01 pm

I should add that I do train for Pittsburgh indoor rowing race in early February and Boston. That's the first time I join "real" races and I figured that the Pete plan is a good one to get in shape for such events.

Pete Marston
Paddler

Post by Pete Marston » December 6th, 2006, 9:33 am

I also follow the Pete plan. :wink:

I do 6 erg sessions a week, covering around 60-70km. I have recently started doing 2 weights sessions per week, only very short ones, and not rowing specific. Total training time around 6 hours per week.

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » December 6th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Irrovica,

Sorry for the non-repsonse to your prior posts.

I take Pilates classes, a mix of intermediate and advanced depending upon when i can get to which class.

I used to do power Yoga classes in a prior life.

While videos are instructive and allow flexibility as to when you do the workouts, classes work best for me because someone is there to assist with form and correct techniques and modifications. And as you know from weight training and rowing, form and technique are very key.