Using the Concept2 for building muscle?????????????

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
knockadoon
Paddler

Using the Concept2 for building muscle?????????????

Post by knockadoon » November 19th, 2006, 4:54 am

Hello! I am seriously considering purchasing the Concept2 rowing machine and was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm confident that the rowing machine will answer my cardio needs but am also wondering if this machine could be used as a muscle-building tool.

Are the resistance levels adjustable? Is there enough resistance for someone who trains with weights to build muscle (primarily in the buttocks, legs--basically in the lower body)? What about upper body?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me!!

jfo
Paddler

not Schwarzenegger types

Post by jfo » November 19th, 2006, 7:38 am

Concept2 wont give you big muscles compared to what training with heavy weigths will. I mean look at the fast rowers...not Schwarzenegger types are they :-) But yuu will of course benefit from both types of work out.
-JFO

igoeja
2k Poster

By Definition

Post by igoeja » November 19th, 2006, 8:12 am

The normal rep/intensity range for building strength/muscle is different from the range required for proficiency at rowing. Although a person without muscle, or without muscles trained for rowing, will get larger, and lots of rowing will likely increase definition, rowing itself isn't much of a muscle-building tool. Rowing develops both aerobic and anaerobic capabilities, but the focus is on strength without bulk. The metabolic pathways are entirely different. Even then, the muscles that one sees on rowers is partially the result of additional rowing-specific strength training with weights.

knockadoon
Paddler

Post by knockadoon » November 19th, 2006, 8:31 am

Hello and thank you both for the information.

I'm not looking for huge muscles, just a piece of equipment that could be used as well for "anarobic"-type workouts (similar to a sprinter's--if we were talking about running). I am wondering if there are enough resistance settings on the machine to keep your muscles working and growing or is this solely an "endurance" (low resistance, higher rep) cardio machine.

Thanks again!

igoeja
2k Poster

Resistance Settings

Post by igoeja » November 19th, 2006, 8:54 am

Damper settings are on the side of the cage, continuous, with gradations from 0 to 10. Although novices often put it all the way up, they can easily hurt themselves, I've read that world class rowers, top performers at the Crash-B Sprints, put the resistance at an average of 7.5 (men) or 4 (women). When you row for short periods, the higher resistance settings might seem light, but if you row for a significant length of time, the resistance can be daunting.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: Resistance Settings

Post by Bob S. » November 19th, 2006, 1:08 pm

igoeja wrote:Damper settings are on the side of the cage, continuous, with gradations from 0 to 10. Although novices often put it all the way up, they can easily hurt themselves, I've read that world class rowers, top performers at the Crash-B Sprints, put the resistance at an average of 7.5 (men) or 4 (women). When you row for short periods, the higher resistance settings might seem light, but if you row for a significant length of time, the resistance can be daunting.
It is risky to recommend damper settings, since the drag factor is real measure of resistance and the DF can vary a lot at any particular damper setting, even between two ergs sitting side by side. Some factors involved are: Dirty cages (for the models C, D, and E) — dirt restricts the air flow and lowers the drag factor. Temperature — at higher temperatures the air is less dense and the drag factor is lower. Atmospheric pressure — at higher pressures the air is denser and the drag factor is higher.

knockadoon
Paddler

Post by knockadoon » November 19th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Thanks again guys for the help!

Is there another piece of cardio equipment that you could suggest that would bring more of a muscle building element to it? I guess I'm trying to find a nice compliment to my weight-training.

I appreciate the help!

jfo
Paddler

Have you ever tried a Concept2?

Post by jfo » November 20th, 2006, 7:25 am

Have you ever tried a Concept2?
If not you should.
The harder you pull the harder the resistance.
Go to a gym and try it out. Might be the thing you're looking for.
-JFO

igoeja
2k Poster

CII Is The Best For What You Want

Post by igoeja » November 21st, 2006, 9:40 pm

If you think of all the machines or activities, the rowing machine will be the best for your muscle development. I've done almost everything available, bikes, treadmills, steppers, ellipticals, erg, and nothing is going to target so many muscle groups and require so much strength. Rowers are known for endurance, but strength is also a very big component.

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » November 22nd, 2006, 1:27 am

Knockadoon,

I have only used one other piece of equipment that comes close to the rower in terms of using any uppr body muscles and that is the VersaClimber. You can get a pretty kick a$$ workout with one of those. I think for a good home version they are about double a Concept 2 though.

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

JM
Paddler

Re: Using the Concept 2 for building muscle.

Post by JM » November 27th, 2006, 8:05 pm

To Knockadoon:

As an ex-runner, ex-cyclist, and continuous gym trainer for over twenty years, I have tried every routine, diet and device, and I can tell you unequivocally that the Concept 2 will build muscle. Having experimented widely with resistance/rep ratios ranging from one-rep powerlifts to 100-rep sets, and having tried almost every piece of fitness equipment, I will tell you that given a choice of a single exercise machine, I would choose the Concept 2. The idea that an unbridgable divide exists between "fitness"/aerobic athletes and strength-/weight-trainers is BS, I would like to see less "professional" advice that polarizes these realms in the name of "training specificity" and more hard research on the complementary aspects of aerobic/anaerobic training. If you would like to use the Concept 2 for both muscle-building and aerobic fitness, I would recommend training times no longer than one hour, and relatively "heavy" damper settings (which should, naturally, be worked up to in a gradual manner). Beyond that, I recommend doing your own intelligent experimentation, lest you end up endlessly "ping-ponging" between the advice of closed-minded bodybuilders and closed-minded aerobic athletes (no offense intended towards anyone in this forum). Cheers.

irrovica
Paddler

Post by irrovica » November 27th, 2006, 10:59 pm

JM got it right. I have been skinny all my life with very little muscle mass. Approaching age 40 I developed a nasty waistline that provoked some hust as nasty comments from my wife and really looked ugly given my ectomorph body. In Fall 2003 I started rowing on the C2 and over the years i gradually increased intensity (Pete Plan, Interactive C2 program, etc) and volume (50-50k a week) and now I train for competition and will go to Boston in February.

Over the time I have developed a very nice (according to my wife) waistline with well defined shoulders, back and legs. I add 1 dumbbell/resistance bands weight session a week with rather light loads and high reps (15-20) targeting the rowing specific muscles and the respective antagonists. I don't do this for muscle mass but injury protection and structural balance.

More importantly I have found that stretching and core exercises (slow crunches, Supermans, planks, Jackknifes and Hamstring curls on the ball) are gaining importance with age. Hence I spend 15-20 min on stretching and core work every day typically after the rowing session.

Spend the bulk of your training on erging with supplementary work on stretching, core and free weights. Then your physique will be just fine.

SlickC2
Paddler

Re: Using the Concept2 for building muscle?????????????

Post by SlickC2 » December 9th, 2015, 1:32 am

I'm pleased to hear JM's experience. I've posted on this before and my experience starting off as a weak seemingly-pregnant male (yeah, not a good look!) was slow loss of +10% weight over a period, coincidentally, of about 9 months on a low damper settings and about 30 minute workouts a few times a week. Over the next year I was able to crank up the damper setting (eventually up to 9) and then started on the Wolverine Plan. I've reduced my food and sugar intake and I'm back up to my original weight, but no more pregnancy! I mainly do Level 4 WP, alternating on a damper setting of 7 to build up strength and a setting of 3 to 4 for speedier drives (but keeping SPM the same). I think both ends are needed (high end for strength building and low end for speed/cardio). At the other Levels of WP I set the damper at an intermediate level (4-5). A bit over two years on, I'm really glad I made the investment in the C2 rower and swapping the time in the chair for time in the saddle.

Cheers

Hillclimber
2k Poster

Re: Resistance Settings

Post by Hillclimber » December 10th, 2015, 8:27 pm

igoeja wrote:Damper settings are on the side of the cage, continuous, with gradations from 0 to 10. Although novices often put it all the way up, they can easily hurt themselves, I've read that world class rowers, top performers at the Crash-B Sprints, put the resistance at an average of 7.5 (men) or 4 (women). When you row for short periods, the higher resistance settings might seem light, but if you row for a significant length of time, the resistance can be daunting.
Widely accepted range at CRASH-B for men is DF 120 - 140 (self reported, I suspect it is more like 105 - 135) Damper no. is not useful, as Bob already explained.
Damien Roohr
60, 6-5, 230 lbs
CT, US

igoeja
2k Poster

Re: Using the Concept2 for building muscle?????????????

Post by igoeja » December 10th, 2015, 8:31 pm

Many of us tend to use the same machine, so once you know the drag factor equals damper value you put it to the same setting. Yes, they vary, but still useful, and very old, 9 years old.