Rowing is a full body workout? Why aren't my legs sore?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Music2004Man
Paddler

Rowing is a full body workout? Why aren't my legs sore?

Post by Music2004Man » October 19th, 2006, 10:33 pm

So I've been rowing for about a week and when I'm done rowing my upper body is sore but I'm not really sore in my legs. I know it's hard to diagnose the problem without seeing my form but I'm kinda hoping this is a common beginner problem/mistake. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

groovydude
Paddler

Post by groovydude » October 20th, 2006, 3:20 am

it means that your not pushing hard enough with the legs..lower your spm, and really concentrate on 'psuhing' with your legs. Get the idea that rowing...is about 70% legs, 30% arms.

If you cininue pulling hard with your upper body, u'll endup with really sore forearms.

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » October 20th, 2006, 10:13 am

Withg the erg, there is no pounding on the legs. Why would they be sore?

If you do short sprint workouts, and don't cool down sufficiently, you might feel some soreness. Otherwise, you'll just be tired.

As groovy says, you may be using your upper body too much. You're not hauling an anchor. In erging, the power comes from your legs.

Tom

Stonewaly
Paddler

Post by Stonewaly » October 20th, 2006, 12:39 pm

I've noticed the same issue. Had about the same amount of experience as Music2004Man though (my erg arrived 5 days ago), so I'm chalking it up to being a novice. I've done my homework on technique though, and have tried to imitate the masters as well as possible.

Interestingly (at least, to me :)), I've noticed that when I lower my spm and concentrate on pushing more with my legs, allowing my upper body to relax until the legs are almost fully extended, the stroke almost becomes two distinct motions. 1) push w/ legs and keep back straight, and 2) when legs are almost straight, allow back to pivot back slightly and pull w/ arms to complete stroke.

I try to keep the above to one fluid motion. However, it still feels like the bulk of the "pulling" is w/ my upper body. I'm worried that if I begin pulling any later, there would be a slight delay btw the time my legs become extended and I finish pulling the handle to my chest (e.g., i'd be sitting there for .1-.2sec waiting to finish pulling; obviously a big no-no).

Could it be that my legs are just much stronger than my upper body and thus it doesn't feel like they're working as hard, even though they are?

Thanks!

Exrook
Paddler

Post by Exrook » October 20th, 2006, 1:35 pm

It might help to know what drag fctor you are using. Switching to a lower drag factor might be helpful

mcj22
Paddler

pushing not pulling

Post by mcj22 » October 20th, 2006, 1:59 pm

I don't know if this is obvious, but it helped me in the first days to really think of this as a pushing exercise rather than a pulling one. That mindset keeps the focus on the legs.

While on this topic, there have been postings here that show that the erg emphasizes the upper body more than on the water. My leg strength really builds when I get more time OTW.

Also, lower SPMs are key. Try going as low as 20 while maintaining the same split pace that you would at a 26-28. Another drill to try is keeping the slight forward lean and strong back/straight arms and repeat leg-drive strokes only. The key is to keep everything else in place and concentrate on pushing the leg drive. After 10-20 of these, try regular rowing where you think of the leg drive and back/arms as two distinct stages. Say "1" and "2" as you do each respectively. Our OTW coach has us do this quite a bit and it has helped burn the feeling into our brains.

I think Stonewaly has it right.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » October 20th, 2006, 3:23 pm

My legs have gotten tired from rowing, plenty of times, but never sore from it.

Perhaps this has to do with conditioning from my running.

I've rowed sessions at all different rates and the only place I've ever gotten sore has been my rhomboids and other muscles in my back, but that has been rare.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Music2004Man
Paddler

Post by Music2004Man » October 20th, 2006, 8:37 pm

It seems that sore might have been the wrong word. When I finish rowing I always feel like I get a really good upper body workout but sometimes I don't feel it nearly as much in my legs. I watched some videos of proper form last night and got my spm lower while maintaining the same 500 split. I felt it alittle more in my legs. Hopefully I'm moving in the right direction.

Dreadnought
1k Poster

Re: pushing not pulling

Post by Dreadnought » October 20th, 2006, 11:50 pm

mcj22 wrote:I don't know if this is obvious, but it helped me in the first days to really think of this as a pushing exercise rather than a pulling one. That mindset keeps the focus on the legs.

While on this topic, there have been postings here that show that the erg emphasizes the upper body more than on the water. My leg strength really builds when I get more time OTW.

Also, lower SPMs are key. Try going as low as 20 while maintaining the same split pace that you would at a 26-28. Another drill to try is keeping the slight forward lean and strong back/straight arms and repeat leg-drive strokes only. The key is to keep everything else in place and concentrate on pushing the leg drive. After 10-20 of these, try regular rowing where you think of the leg drive and back/arms as two distinct stages. Say "1" and "2" as you do each respectively. Our OTW coach has us do this quite a bit and it has helped burn the feeling into our brains.

I think Stonewaly has it right.
What about doing deadlifts in the gym. Would that accomplish the same thing?