"Long Slow Distance" Rowing Techniques

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
jbhoren
Paddler

"Long Slow Distance" Rowing Techniques

Post by jbhoren » October 18th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Shalom!

An erger in a different Concept2 forum discussed the benefits of rowing daily LSD sessions, citing his own experiences with this method. His posting intrigued me, so yesterday evening I rowed a half-marathon; however, I fell into the "macho trap" and kept a constant sub-2:30/500m pace, finishing in 1:45:35.1 (spot-on for 2:30/500m).

Given the length of the piece, and wanting to keep my heart rate much lower than it got (6'1" 265lbs), I ought to be keeping to a 2:40 or 2:50/500m pace; but I find it difficult to row that slowly, without it ending-up that I use much more arm, than leg.

I need advice/suggestions for slow-rowing techniques: is it an issue of damper setting? pausing between end-of-pull and recovery? something else?

TIA!

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: "Long Slow Distance" Rowing Techniques

Post by Bob S. » October 18th, 2006, 5:36 pm

jbhoren wrote:Shalom!

An erger in a different Concept2 forum discussed the benefits of rowing daily LSD sessions, citing his own experiences with this method. His posting intrigued me, so yesterday evening I rowed a half-marathon; however, I fell into the "macho trap" and kept a constant sub-2:30/500m pace, finishing in 1:45:35.1 (spot-on for 2:30/500m).

Given the length of the piece, and wanting to keep my heart rate much lower than it got (6'1" 265lbs), I ought to be keeping to a 2:40 or 2:50/500m pace; but I find it difficult to row that slowly, without it ending-up that I use much more arm, than leg.

I need advice/suggestions for slow-rowing techniques: is it an issue of damper setting? pausing between end-of-pull and recovery? something else?

TIA!
You don't say what your rate is. If it is above 24spm for a half marathon, you are pulling at too high a rate.

There should never be a pause at the end of the pull. There should be no time lost in getting your hands away and on out past your knees. If you have trouble rowing at a rate of 24spm or lower, it probably is a result of rushing your slide. There shouldn't be any problem rowing at rates even as low as 12spm, if you relax on the recovery and take your time rolling up to the catch.

Some people pause in the middle of the recovery, i.e. at the point where the arms are straight. This is part of an OTW drill and the pause is often held for quite a long time to see how well the boat is balanced, but probably has no purpose on the erg.

You also did not mention your age (in the above message nor in your public profile). For a half marathon (or even a marathon), a pace of 2:30 is not particularly fast, even at my age (82).

Bob S.
Last edited by Bob S. on October 19th, 2006, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: "Long Slow Distance" Rowing Techniques

Post by Citroen » October 19th, 2006, 12:16 pm

jbhoren wrote: I need advice/suggestions for slow-rowing techniques: is it an issue of damper setting? pausing between end-of-pull and recovery? something else?
Unstrap you feet, set the damper low - no higher than 5 (df 120), slow down the recovery so you're doing it at 24SPM or less.

2:07.9 is 90' HM pace.

Dreadnought
1k Poster

Post by Dreadnought » October 21st, 2006, 12:12 am

I personally find it very hard to row slowly. I find it much easier to do short intense intervals. When I row slowly, i quickly lose motivation, and i end up fading out.