100k row - Training and on the day plan

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
combatfred
Paddler

100k row - Training and on the day plan

Post by combatfred » October 6th, 2006, 10:53 am

Hiy Guys and girls.

I've agreed to do a 100k solo row for charity. The event will take place on 16th December.
There's a few 100k relays happening, but I've decided to go it alone.

Can you give me some tips on training and also on a plan of attack on the BIG day.

I'm wondering what works best with breaks, eating, drinking etc.

I've not sat on an erg since doing a marathon in April 2005.
Marathon time was 2hrs 48mins (1:59.7 av).

Come on guys, give me some hints and tip.

Cheers

Fred

laupi
Paddler

Post by laupi » October 6th, 2006, 6:21 pm

drinking eggs is good energy source/ good luck to you

bgood
Paddler

Post by bgood » October 7th, 2006, 5:11 pm

I suggest you start rowing again.
In the last 30 days I've done two 100k's. With Rowpro I set up a custom session of 8 x 12500m fixed intervals with a 5min break between each set. I consume at least 1 liter of water every hour, with a Power Bar GEL every 30 min.
Makes for a long day.

Carole
Paddler

Post by Carole » October 7th, 2006, 10:47 pm

when I did my 100k Sept 2005 for two months before I did long steady rows at what i thought my pace should be ... evry week went that bit further on one long row til two weeks before i did 65k

you know how your body is with this whether it needs water or food.... I managed to drink plenty of water but struggled to eat as everything just seemed to sweet and I am allergic to bananas.... I suggest you find something you can eat whilst training

I stopped at 10 k for a drink and nearly every 10 k after only for a few seconds ... at 50k I changed my top and at 80 I changed my socks and trainers this felt fantastic ...

7hrs and 55mins later I finished... :D

the 100k was done at a pub so i downed a pint of lager pretty quickly after ... :twisted:

combatfred
Paddler

Post by combatfred » October 9th, 2006, 4:04 am

Thanks for the replys

Will do shorter rows mid-week and the long rows each Saturday morning. Will add 10k each week to the Sayurday row. The long rows will help me suss out food and drink.

Carole - I like the idea of doing it in the pub! A drink in your hand within a few minutes of finishing. That's gotta be the sweetest pint ever.

Thanks again

Fred

x