Optimizing my Training: Advice wanted

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » July 25th, 2006, 2:16 pm

jjpisano wrote: So a basic question is: what do my fellow forumites think? Do you think 40 minutes of interval work is as good as 20 minutes of uninterupted work at the same intensity? With intervals I miss the extreme levels of heart rate but I can perform more volume of the work.

Intervals are so much less stressful. It is very tempting to convert to more intervals. The one major problem with it is that interval workouts are more time consuming. I might have to sacrifice a little more sleep.
No.

See any discussion regarding "Rowing With Breaks" about the second bit. :wink:
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » July 25th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Jim,

I think you have answered your own question with this line:
"Intervals are so much less stressful."
The physical stress of the uninterupted work is what makes you stronger. I am responding much faster to uninterupted work than I did doing a couple of interval sessions a week. Everyone is different and responds differently but I will save the intervals for sharpening before the Mile High Sprints.

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

jjpisano
1k Poster

Post by jjpisano » July 25th, 2006, 3:30 pm

OK. I will ultimately settle on uninterupted work. But while I wait for the heat to break, I'll continue with intervals at my desired workload at increased volume; somewhere in the range of 30 to 40 minutes of work.

A brain storm hit me while going about my business today after posting my question: Since it took longer for my heart rate to climb to 161 bpm, (7:30 today versus 5:30 2 weeks ago) perhaps my longest interval can now be 7 minutes long rather than 5 minutes.
Jim SWCSPI Pisano