coping with the heat

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
PubPersona
Paddler

Post by PubPersona » July 23rd, 2006, 4:34 pm

-Like other posters-reducing duration/intensity, waiting for evening cool, frozen fruit bar incentives/intervals. I'd take the erg to the cool subpark level but don't want automotive grit on the lubed chain or gawkers interrupting. A nice thing about private workouts is umm...privacy.

DougRow
Paddler

Post by DougRow » July 23rd, 2006, 10:31 pm

mpukita wrote:
Heaviestuser wrote:Reducing the distance and reducing the pace. B)

Not working out at all, when it's hot makes me feel worse.
Since it will be hot for the rest of the month... not working out is not an option.

When is erging dangerous ?

· By temp. up to 24° Celcius: no problem.
· By temp. from 25 to 26° Celcius: there can be a problem for ethletes who are not well trained
. By temp. from 27 to 28° Celsius: there can be a problem for everyone.

Advice: reduce the distance and the pace and drink a lot.

· By temp. above 28° Celcius: erging is dangerous. Do not do it.

When humidity is high, extra caution !
Bang on with what the medical profession says:

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcen ... ndheat.htm
Great little article Mark. Kind of what I was about to say, so I'll just back it up. Been as hot in CA as back east and elsewhere. Can NOT believe what that garage feels like. This all boils down to one's heart having to share the load between cooling and oxygen delivery much more than usual, so no one should make any more or less of it than that.

I think its a GREAT place to make a big plug for heart rate monitoring. Today I just did slow putzing around for calorie burn and there wasn't any threat at all. Yesterday I did some UT1 work which normally gets my heart up pretty high for me, in the 170s. I knew there wasn't much margin above that, so I let my heartrate set my pace and sure enough the pace was off by several seconds.

- Doug

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » August 8th, 2006, 9:09 pm

My training books state that 2 very good workouts a week will maintain level of fitness, for those who are in panic about missing workout days.

Getting more potassium in the diet in hot weather will help keep core temperature lower for longer.

Take a long cool shower before a workout, and after.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )