What does this result say about me?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
TomR
6k Poster

Re: Rate Recovery

Post by TomR » July 15th, 2006, 7:31 pm

ragiarn wrote: With training in the AT zone your body becomes more adept at clearing Lactate and you will be able to slowly increase the HR in the LT zone.
Ragiarn—

Are you saying that working at AT levels helps increase the intensity at which one can work before lactate accumulates in the body and that AT training also conditions the body deal w/ lactate?

According to the authors of the book “Rowing Faster,” the way to increase the point at which lactate accumulate in the blood is through the use of “extensive endurance training,” sessions done at intensities well below AT.

Regarding lactate tolerance, Mike Caviston has called that a “fallacy.” Previously he wrote:

“The body deals with reduced pH, or neutralizes excess acid, with a combination of bicarbonate, phosphate, and protein chemical buffers (including hemoglobin). I know of no compelling scientific evidence to suggest that training has any effect on the body’s buffering systems. I have at hand a half dozen of the leading Exercise Physiology texts that all say the same thing. For example, from McArdle, Katch, and Katch: “It is tempting to speculate that anaerobic training has a positive effect on the body’s capacity for acid-base regulation, perhaps through the enhancement of chemical buffers or the alkaline reserve. However, it has never been shown that buffering capacity becomes enhanced through exercise training.”

I’m no expert. I'm just trying sort through what appear on the surface to be some contradictions. Thanx.

Tom

ragiarn
Paddler

Post by ragiarn » July 15th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Ragiarn—

Are you saying that working at AT levels helps increase the intensity at which one can work before lactate accumulates in the body and that AT training also conditions the body deal w/ lactate?

According to the authors of the book “Rowing Faster,” the way to increase the point at which lactate accumulate in the blood is through the use of “extensive endurance training,” sessions done at intensities well below AT.

Regarding lactate tolerance, Mike Caviston has called that a “fallacy.” Previously he wrote:

“The body deals with reduced pH, or neutralizes excess acid, with a combination of bicarbonate, phosphate, and protein chemical buffers (including hemoglobin). I know of no compelling scientific evidence to suggest that training has any effect on the body’s buffering systems. I have at hand a half dozen of the leading Exercise Physiology texts that all say the same thing. For example, from McArdle, Katch, and Katch: “It is tempting to speculate that anaerobic training has a positive effect on the body’s capacity for acid-base regulation, perhaps through the enhancement of chemical buffers or the alkaline reserve. However, it has never been shown that buffering capacity becomes enhanced through exercise training.”

I’m no expert. I'm just trying sort through what appear on the surface to be some contradictions. Thanx.

Tom
There are a couple of issues here.
First I agree with the statements made by Mike Caviston completely. He was addressing the issue of "so called lactic acid causing fatigue".

Lactic acid and lactate are not the same.
When lactic acid is produced it is quickly converted to lactate which is not an acid and therefore has no effect on the acid-base balance of the system.

In the process of breaking down glucose for energy there are two phases. The first phase is anaerobic which means it does not need oxygen to produce energy. The by product is pyruvic acid. If there is not enough oxygen the pyruvic acid is converted to lactic acid but just as quickly is converted into lactate.

Lactate is produced in abundance only when there is insufficient oxygen available to the working muscle. Normally in conditions in which there is adequate oxygen available to the muscle the breakdown of glucose yields pyruvic acid which then goes on to produce more energy in the krebs cycle.

During very short burst of work such as a short interval the lactate is produced but remains in the muscle and once the interval is finished working and oxygen is now more readily available the lactate is then converted back to pyruvic acid.

That is why you are breathing so hard after a short intense interval.. Your lungs are trying to keep up with the demands of those muscles which have accumulated all that lactate. Once your breathing returns to normal and the HR has returned to base line everything is restored, the muscle has converted the lactate to pyruvic acid ready to enter the krebs cycle and you can now proceed to do another high intensity interval.

Despite what you hear in the gyms lactate and lactic acid do not accumulate for very long in your muscles. And it does not cause your muscles to be stiff or sore nor do they cause fatigue. By the time you have finished your cool down row all the lactate should all be out of your system.

This issue of lactic acid build up in the muscle is another of the common pieces of misinformation I always hear from some of the so called fitness experts. Again no offense meant to the real fitness experts.

During prolonged high intensity intervals, or short intervals with inadequate rest between intervals, there is too much build up of lactate and the excess has to leave the muscles.

When there is an excess of lactate being produced by working muscles the excess leaves the muscle and enters the blood stream where it is taken up by other working muscles for their use or by the liver and re-constituted into glucose.

The type I muscle fibers (the fibers which are developed in doing lower intensity endurance work) readily accept lactate and in the presence of oxygen lactate is converted back to pyruvic and then goes on to the Krebs cycle to produce more energy.

While the lower intensity endurance work enhances the type I muscle fibers and therefore the ability to dispose of excess Lactate, you need to do the AT work in order to produce the Lactate so that muscles and liver are stimulated to produce the mechanims for using the Lactate.

The lactate threshold or OBLA- is the point at which lactate begins to accumulate in the blood stream. There is always a certain amount of lactate present (2 mmol) but once you reach a certain level of work the levels begin to rise. With proper training you will develop the mechanisms of disposing of this lactate more quickly thus maintaining a modest level. Remember LT work is also endurance work but at a high intensity level.

A good program will have a mix of workouts to stimulate each of the various metabolic pathways and induce various adaptations. Mike Caviston's Wolverine program is an excellent example. His level 4 and 3 workouts are are done at below LT zone. Level 2 are mostly LT workouts and Level 1 are a mixture of AT and LT/AT workouts.
This my summary of his workouts which I found in his posts:

Level 1 workouts Intensity: 95-105% Level 1, SR 30-36.
total number of meters in one workout should add up to about 4000
8 x 500m
4 x 1K
4K Pyramid (250m/500m/750m/1K/750m/500m/250m)

Level 2 workouts Intensity: ~ 90-95% 2K ) SR 26-32 PR pace * 1.08.

5 x 1500m;
4 x 2K (recov 1500 m)
3K/2.5K/2K

Level 3 Intensity: 85-90% of 2K velocity. SR 24-28;

Continuous 12K
2 x 6K (with 7-8’ recovery between pieces)
15 x 3’ (with 1’ recovery between pieces)

Level 4 Intensity: ~ 80-90% of 2K.
40-70’ of continuous effort. Other variations include
2 x 40’ (with 6-7’ recovery between pieces) and
4 x 10’ at a proportionately greater intensity (with recovery intervals of 3)
This post is too short to do this topic justice so if there are further clarifications needed I will try to make them.
Ralph Giarnella MD
Southington, CT

tennstrike
1k Poster

Re: Thanks so much!

Post by tennstrike » July 15th, 2006, 10:14 pm

HardGainer wrote: I discovered its usefulness half an hour after strapping on my HRM for the first time, when I recorded a 185bpm (25bpm over my then "theoretical" maximum) without even doing a systematic, sustained MHR test.

One question for you: How do I get my 500m time down to 1:28?
John:

First, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who had the same experience. As a newbie at the time, I didn't know whether I should be pleased or scared at a heart rate of around 190.

As for your quest for 1:28, here's a WOW from me and a good luck. You've already brought your time down by 2.1 seconds when comparing 2006 with 2007 so you're obviously doing something right! The 1:28 would be 3.7 seconds better than 2006. That's a heck of a goal for improvement at "our" age.
6'1" 192lb 60
500 1:38.7 | 1K 3:29.2 | 2K 7:16.9 | 5K 19:14.0 | 6K 23:12.3 | 10K 39:40.5 | Started rowing June05

tennstrike
1k Poster

Post by tennstrike » July 15th, 2006, 10:20 pm

ragiarn wrote:
There are a couple of issues here.
First I agree with the statements made by Mike Caviston completely.
Doc:

Once again, thanks for the posts. This is good stuff and the reason a lot of us were drawn to the forum in the first place. I still have an hour or so to catch up on all the links you provided, but am very glad to have interesting reading.

Jeff
6'1" 192lb 60
500 1:38.7 | 1K 3:29.2 | 2K 7:16.9 | 5K 19:14.0 | 6K 23:12.3 | 10K 39:40.5 | Started rowing June05

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » July 15th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Thanx Ralph.

After a 2k, "post-exercise lactate levels of 16 to 21 millimoes per liter in the arterial blood; and a blood pH between 7.0 and 6.85, the limit of physiologically tolerable acidosis" according the "Rowing Faster."

By way of comparison, as a rule, UT2 and UT1 endurance work is done at between 1 and 2 millimoles.

Tom

aussiequadrider
Paddler

Re: Good/Bad/Indifferent

Post by aussiequadrider » July 16th, 2006, 6:54 am

ragiarn wrote:

The maximum heart rate is the maximum that your heart can beat to meet the maximum oxygen demand of your body.
Any effort that exceeds your maximum heart rate is anaerobic.
I stopped reading your input when I read that misinformation.
Hope it was a typo and you can clear it up.

Geoff.

mpukita
2k Poster

Post by mpukita » July 16th, 2006, 7:10 am

Doctor Ralph:

Thanks! Wonderful "stuff" that clears up (or makes irrelevant) much of what one hears from the crowd of advice-givers.

Thanks -- Mark
Mark Pukita
48 / 5'7" or 1.70 m / 165 lbs. or 75 kg
1:38.3 (500m) 07NOV05// 3:35.2 (1K) 05NOV06// 07:10.7 (2K LW) 25FEB07// 20:16.0 (5K) 20OCT05// 23:54.1 (6K) 20DEC06// 7,285 (30min) 27NOV05// 41:15.7 (10K) 19NOV05// 14,058 (60min) 29NOV05

mpukita
2k Poster

Post by mpukita » July 16th, 2006, 7:17 am

aussiequadrider wrote:
ragiarn wrote:

The maximum heart rate is the maximum that your heart can beat to meet the maximum oxygen demand of your body.

Geoff.
Geoff:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of us probaby read this as, "Any effort that exceeds hitting max heart rate for more than a moment or two is anerobic."

Dr. Ralph can certainly clarify, but once this happens, I believe heart rate will naturally go down as the anerobic process starts ... thus it is impossible to sustain true max HR for more than a few moments.

When doing a step test, I'm encouraged to have someone watch my HR watch, as max HR can be hit, and then HR starts to drop very, very quickly. Sometimes too fast to even be logged in the Suunto t6 electronic logbook.

-- Mark
Mark Pukita
48 / 5'7" or 1.70 m / 165 lbs. or 75 kg
1:38.3 (500m) 07NOV05// 3:35.2 (1K) 05NOV06// 07:10.7 (2K LW) 25FEB07// 20:16.0 (5K) 20OCT05// 23:54.1 (6K) 20DEC06// 7,285 (30min) 27NOV05// 41:15.7 (10K) 19NOV05// 14,058 (60min) 29NOV05

ragiarn
Paddler

Post by ragiarn » July 16th, 2006, 7:38 am

aussiequadrider wrote:
ragiarn wrote:

Geoff.
My apologies if I did not make myself clear and I realize that the syntax makes my statement ambiguous. Let me see if I can clarify my statement. The heart rate responds to the oxygen demand of your body. (leave emotional issues aside such as love and hate etc).

At complete rest the only oxygen demand is your BMR. As you begin to move about your oxygen demand increases. As the oxygen demand rises so does the heart rate. Each of us has our own individual fixed maximum heart. Once our HR reaches its maximum it can no longer respond to further oxygen demand therefore any additional effort is by its very nature anaerobic. Maximum Heart corresponds to VO2 max.

If you are rowing at at your maximum HR at a rating of 260 watts, if you push to 275 the additional 15 watts of power is derived anaerobically. The muscle fibers that supply this additional anaerobic work are probably type IIb which have limited aerobic capacity and are called upon for ultimate power. The fibers of last resort. ( I hope I didn't open another can of worms with that last statement).
Ralph Giarnella MD
Southington, CT

ragiarn
Paddler

Post by ragiarn » July 16th, 2006, 7:50 am

TomR wrote:Thanx Ralph.

After a 2k, "post-exercise lactate levels of 16 to 21 millimoes per liter in the arterial blood; and a blood pH between 7.0 and 6.85, the limit of physiologically tolerable acidosis" according the "Rowing Faster."

By way of comparison, as a rule, UT2 and UT1 endurance work is done at between 1 and 2 millimoles.

Tom
Very interesting information. Levels above 4 millimoles are considered above the anaerobic threshold.

I am assuming that the blood samples are venous and not arterial. The only time I have ever seen Ph that low was in patients in cardiac arrest or in severe diabetic ketoacidosis. If sustained for very long that level of pH is not very conducive to life. 1-2 millimoles is considere to be below LT zone.
Ralph Giarnella MD
Southington, CT

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » July 16th, 2006, 8:23 am

ragiarn wrote:
aussiequadrider wrote:
ragiarn wrote: I stopped reading your input when I read that misinformation.

Geoff.
My apologies if I did not make myself clear and I realize that the syntax makes my statement ambiguous. Let me see if I can clarify my statement. The heart rate responds to the oxygen demand of your body. (leave emotional issues aside such as love and hate etc).

At complete rest the only oxygen demand is your BMR. As you begin to move about your oxygen demand increases. As the oxygen demand rises so does the heart rate. Each of us has our own individual fixed maximum heart. Once our HR reaches its maximum it can no longer respond to further oxygen demand therefore any additional effort is by its very nature anaerobic. Maximum Heart corresponds to VO2 max.

If you are rowing at at your maximum HR at a rating of 260 watts, if you push to 275 the additional 15 watts of power is derived anaerobically. The muscle fibers that supply this additional anaerobic work are probably type IIb which have limited aerobic capacity and are called upon for ultimate power. The fibers of last resort. ( I hope I didn't open another can of worms with that last statement).
Very clear. I haven't seen it put quite that way before. Thanks.

Rick

aussiequadrider
Paddler

Post by aussiequadrider » July 16th, 2006, 8:42 am

ragiarn wrote: Each of us has our own individual fixed maximum heart. Once our HR reaches its maximum it can no longer respond to further oxygen demand therefore any additional effort is by its very nature anaerobic. Maximum Heart corresponds to VO2 max.
I can now see that the first statement I referred to was not a typo and this last gem is one of the same as your previous claim and is the type of crap that is thrown around on the net all to often.
I'm sorry but you are clearly wrong and I must correct you before more than you believe this.

Max HR = the max your heart can beat at any time, period.
Anaerobic threshold (AT) = the intensity level at which the body produces more lactic acid than it can eliminate.
AT comes in at about 80-90% of your max HR.
It is the breakeven point of effort where there is just enough oxygen and lactic acid for the two to stay in balance. It also follows that as the workout intensity increases, so do blood lactate concentrations.

Our max HR and AT are not fixed, they can be simply changed with training.

My max Hr was at one stage 195, AT was 172, VO2max was 94.

Geoff.

ragiarn
Paddler

Post by ragiarn » July 16th, 2006, 11:25 am

I can now see that the first statement I referred to was not a typo and this last gem is one of the same as your previous claim and is the type of crap that is thrown around on the net all to often.
I'm sorry but you are clearly wrong and I must correct you before more than you believe this.

Max HR = the max your heart can beat at any time, period.
Anaerobic threshold (AT) = the intensity level at which the body produces more lactic acid than it can eliminate.
AT comes in at about 80-90% of your max HR.
It is the breakeven point of effort where there is just enough oxygen and lactic acid for the two to stay in balance. It also follows that as the workout intensity increases, so do blood lactate concentrations.

Our max HR and AT are not fixed, they can be simply changed with training.

My max Hr was at one stage 195, AT was 172, VO2max was 94.

Geoff.
Maximum HR- it is quite clear from the abundance of scientific literature each individual has their own maximum heart rate and that with time that maximum heart declines. The reason why it declines is not clearly understood and scientists have put forward a number explanations from the inability of the heart to respond to appropriate neurolgic input, to increased stiffness of the cardiac wall secondary to age etc.
Myocardial Adaptations to Training: There is for all of us an exercise intensity that will elicit our maximum cardiac output. Once this limit is achieved, further increases in work intensity will result in no further increase in heart rate. By definition, this is then the maximum heart rate. The maximum heart rate in humans varies from individual to individual and decreases with age. Therefore the only way to know precisely what a specific person's maximal heart rate is would be to do a maximal exercise test. Without such precise knowledge, we often use the formula "220 minus age" to approximate maximal heart rate. This formula will generally give results within plus or minus 10 bpm of reality. True maximal heart rate may not be achieved in some forms of exercise that do not employ a large enough muscle mass, or if the person is unfamiliar with the mode of exercise employed. For example, one person may have a true maximum heart rate of 195 achieved during uphill running, but only 191 during a cycling test, and 187 during swimming. These latter heart rates are termed peak heart rates and should be used as a basis for determining training intensity for a specific exercise mode.

The important thing to remember is: Maximal heart rate does not increase after training. It stays the same (or might even decrease just slightly). However, maximal stroke volume increases. Therefore maximal Cardiac Output increases in response to exercise. This is the primary reason for the increase in VO2 max! Dr. Seiler- http://home.hia.no/~stephens/hrttrn.htm
It is important to note that when you are untrained you may not be able to elicit your maximum heart rate because your muscles and other systems may not be up to the task. A healthy young individual with a healthy heart should have a maximum heart rate in the 180-190 range but may be so out of shape as to run out of steam when they get their heart rate to 140 or 150. Which is true maximum heart rate.

AT: correct it is the point at which lactate (not lactic acid) begins to accumulate. Aerobic work is still being done and oxygen is still being supplied to the working muscles however there is not enough oxygen to maintain a steady state of lactate.
Depending on your level of fitness AT may occur at as low as 60% of your maximum heart rate or in well trained athletes as high as 90% of your maximum heart rate. I have seen published reports that athletes such as Lance Armstrong have been able to work to 95% maximum HR before reaching AT. Unfortunately I do not have the reference at hand.
Specificity of the Lactate Threshold

It is important to know that the lactate threshold is highly specific to the exercise task. So if this cyclist tries to get on his brand new, previously unused, rowing machine and row at a heart rate of 158, he will quickly become fatigued. Rowing employs different muscles and neuromuscular patterns. Since these muscles are less trained, the cyclist's rowing LT will be considerably lower. This specificity is an important concept to understand when using heart rate as a guide in "cross training activities", as well as for the multi-event athlete.
Effect of Training

For reasons mentioned above, training results in a decrease in lactate production at any given exercise intensity. Untrained individuals usually reach the LT at about 60% of VO2 max. With training, LT can increase from 60% to above 70% or even higher. Elite endurance athletes and top masters athletes typically have LTs at or above 80% of VO2 max. Values approaching 90% have been reported. The lactate threshold is both responsive to training and influenced by genetics. Dr. Seiler http://home.hia.no/~stephens/lacthres.htm
There is not doubt that AT can be inceased with training and I never implied that it cannot improve. I simply point out that once you reach your maximum heart rate further effort comes at the cost of purely anaerobic work and there is a very high price to pay for this anaerobic work and that is a very quick end to your workout. If you stay within the LT and AT or Maximal Lactate Steady State you can continue working for very long periods of time.
1: Int J Sports Med. 1982 May;3(2):105-10.
Related Articles, Links

Comparison of prolonged exercise tests at the individual anaerobic threshold and the fixed anaerobic threshold of 4 mmol.l(-1) lactate.

Stegmann H, Kindermann W.

Prolonged physical exercise tests (50 min) at the threshold of 4 mmol . l-1 lactate (ATc) and at the individual anaerobic threshold (IAT) were applied in 19 rowing athletes. In each of the rowers (n = 19) work loads corresponding to the IAT did not result in a gradual lactase accumulation or exhaustion within 50 min of exercise. Means of lactate concentration and heart rate at the end of exercise were 4.0 +/- 1.6 mmol . l-1 and 182 +/- 13.0 beats . min-1, respectively. In 15 of 19 rowers, the IAT corresponded to lower work loads than the ATc. In these cases, prolonged exercise tests at the ATc showed gradual increases in lactate concentrations to a mean of 9.6 +/- 1.2 mmol . l-1, associated with exhaustion at a mean working time of 14.4 +/- 6.3 min and a mean heart rate of 192 +/- 10.4 beats . min-1. In four rowers, the IAT was found at identical (n = 3) or higher (n = 1) work loads than the ATc. In these cases, after an initial increase no further rise in lactate concentrations in blood was observed, and exhaustion did not occur during the prolonged exercise tests. These findings support the conclusion derived from the lactate kinetics model that the IAT defines the work load at the maximal lactate steady state.

PMID: 7107102 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I doubt that your VO2max was 94 since the highest recorded VO2 max is in the mid 80, most Olympic level rowers fall in the 60-70 level ( Exercise Physiology 4th edition McArdle Katch and Kach pg 199- see table)
In the untrained, skeletal muscle capacity can be limiting

Now, having convinced you that heart performance dictates VO2 max, it is important to also explain the contributing, or accepting, role of muscle oxidative capacity. Measured directly, Oxygen consumption= Cardiac output x arterial-venous oxygen difference (a-v O2 diff). As the oxygen rich blood passes through the capillary network of a working skeletal muscle, oxygen diffuses out of the capillaries and to the mitochondria (following the concentration gradient). The higher the oxygen consumption rate by the mitochondria, the greater the oxygen extraction, and the higher the a-v O2 difference at any given blood flow rate. Delivery is the limiting factor because even the best-trained muscle cannot use oxygen that isn't delivered. But, if the blood is delivered to muscles that are poorly trained for endurance, VO2 max will be lower despite a high delivery capacity.   When we perform VO2 max tests on untrained persons, we often see that they stop at a at a time point in the test when their VO2 max seems to still be on the way up.  The problem is that they just do not have the aerobic capacity in their working muscles and become fatigued locally prior to fully exploiting their cardiovascular capacity.  In contrast, when we test athletes, they will usually show a nice flattening out of VO2 despite increasing intensity towards the end of the test.  Heart rate peaks out, VO2 maxes out, and even though some of the best trained can hold out at VO2 max for several minutes,  max is max and they eventually hit a wall due to the accumulation of  protons and other changes at the muscular level that inhibit muscular force production and bring on exhaustion. Dr. Sieler Maximal Oxygen Consumption- The VO2max http://home.hia.no/~stephens/vo2max.htm
I would appreciate if you could back up your statements with some documentation.

I should note at this point. I do not claim the be an exercise physiologist or an expert in the field. My area of expertise is in the field of medicine. Exercise physiology is just a hobby for me. Most of I what I have learned is not from research or from the classroom but from reading and personal experience as an amateur athlete and amateur coach. If I make a mistatement I am more than willing to admit to my mistake but please give me a reference as to why my statement is wrong so that I can learn from my mistakes.
Ralph Giarnella MD
Southington, CT

ragiarn
Paddler

Post by ragiarn » July 16th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Perhaps to better explain some of the points I have been trying to make I would like to describe my recent personal experiences. At 65 my observed maximum HR is 167. I observed this on several occasions after an all out 2k one of which was at last years Crash-B were I set a personal best. The other was in December of 05 when I set a new pb at the 2k.

After several months no serious training on the rower I began to row again seriously in the beginning of May. At first I was having trouble maintaining my HR at greater than 140 for 30 minutes. That is about 84% of my Maximum HR. By the end of June I was able to sustain a HR of 150-154 which represents 89-92% of my maximum hr. Three weeks ago I foolishly overtrained in my enthusiasm to improve myself. (I know- baby steps). As a result I came down with a viral upper respiratory infection. The infection was gone after 3-4 days but I was left with a reactive bronchitis and asthma which almost completely shut down my ability to do any work other than walk. I got short of breath just walking up stairs. After inhalers and a course of Prednisone I have been able to get back to the gym and row again. However my rowing is limited to 5 minute intervals because of severe shortness of breath. I reach this point at very low power output and my heart rate is about 130 or 77% of my maximum heart rate but if feels as if I just finished a 2 k.

What has happened in the interim. Certainly my muscles have not deteriorated that much in such a short time. I can still pull high power ratings for a short time <1 minute. Unless I have had a heart attack that I am not aware of my heart has not detiorated all that much.

In reality the problem is restrictive lungs. The illness has caused my airways to narrow down and restrict the amount of oxygen exchange. My legs are not tired and my heart is not taxed but I am limited by the severe shortness of breath also know as dyspnea on exertion.

In a normally healthy individual with no lung disease lung capacity is rarely a limiting factor, with few exceptions.

Very often when a cardiologist has to do a stress test on an unfit individual he/she is unable to get the patient to reach a meaningful heart rate for testing purposes. The patient stops because of fatigue, sometimes at heart rates no higher than 110-120. In these situations the patient is given a medicine that will stimulate the heart to get to the desired (calculated heart rate) so that he can then better evaluate the heart. In case you were wondering this is a safe strategy and commonly used (Persantine stress test). The patient's maximum heart rate is definitely higher than 110-120 but the lack of muscular fitness does not allow the patient to get the heart rate high enough for meaningful measurement.

As for my own situation, I have been through this before (last December)-(It is tough getting old- I have to keep reminding myself that I am no longer 45) and I know that once I get over this bout of reactive bronchitis and asthma, I will be back in form in about 6 weeks. I just have to remember to pace myself better and not let my enthusiasm overwhelm me. Sometimes I am affected by reading the posts of the accomplishments of other rowers and I want to emulate them. Unfortunately I usually do not pay attention to their ages. As the country song goes- I am not as good as I once was, but I am as good once as I ever was

I have to remind myself what Mike Caviston always says- Baby Steps.
Ralph Giarnella MD
Southington, CT

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » July 16th, 2006, 2:08 pm

"Now my body says that 'You can't do this, boy.'
But my pride says "Oh, yes you can!'" :mrgreen:

Been there, done that Ralph. :D

Rick