Took the plunge today...Introducing myself

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Kodiak
Paddler

Took the plunge today...Introducing myself

Post by Kodiak » June 9th, 2006, 1:16 pm

Not sure where I should have posted this, so I chose the 'Training' forum because it seems to have the most activity. (For those who frequent the UK/C2 forum, this is pretty much a duplicate post).

I'm a 53-year-old male from sunny (except for the past week!) San Diego, CA. I've been lurking around for a while and just took up erging 1 month ago. I'm one of the unfortunate (from a rowing standpoint) "altitude challenged" fellows, standing a paltry 5'9" and weighing in @165-ish. In other words, I flit around the lwt limit.

I started erging at my gym last month, and have racked up 70k in 15 total workouts. Before anyone asks, my 2k time is 8:23. :oops: I've been pretty athletic all of my life, but as I age, I find that higher impact activities that I've enjoyed in the past (i.e., running/jogging) are just that: things of the past. I was attracted to erging because it was low impact and - more importantly - a total body exercise. My time is limited and I find I can get in a killer erg workout in 30 minutes.

I took the plunge yesterday and purchased a C2/D. I anxiously await its arrival. This forum has been a wonderful place to lurk and read - you guys/gals are great! I am consumed with questions, but I will refrain until I get more seasoned...maybe I can save you people the trouble of answering 'newbie' questions if I just gain some experience.

I intend to post some (I think I have something to offer to the 'older' set :wink: ), but, initially, I am going to absorb more than I spew.

Jim

DavidA
10k Poster

Post by DavidA » June 9th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Jim, Welcome, and congratulations on purchasing a C2. You will not regret it.
Although I am no longer in SD that is my home - Pacific Beach more specifically.

David
63 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 17 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » June 9th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Jim,

Welcome! and I agree with David, you will not regret the purchase. I purchased mine in December and am absolutely addicted.

As far as posting newbie questions, Don't sweat it, that's what the forum is for.

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

jjpisano
1k Poster

Post by jjpisano » June 9th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Jim:

Welcome aboard.

Hope you enjoy your Concept2/Model D.

I bought my Concept2/Model B around 1990 and it's still awesome. It's solid. I'm sure I'll wear out before it does.
Jim SWCSPI Pisano

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » June 9th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Hi Jim!

Nice to see you here. Thought I would mention, as you are in San Diego, that you are within fairly easy driving distance from Xeno Muller's Iron Oarsmanin Costa Mesa. Xeno is an amazing resource for rowing and if you were looking for someone to get your stroke off on the right foot, I doubt you could do better. Here and here are a couple of threads discussing what working w/ Xeno 1-to-1 can be like. But simply taking classes at the Iron Oarsman is also a treat (and beginners are always welcomed)!

Good luck w/ your new baby (C2 Mod D)!

Alissa

davidn
Paddler

Mission Bay Acquatic Center

Post by davidn » June 13th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Hi Jim. I'm here in SD also. Just wanted to let you know about another rowing resource here in SD - Mission Bay Acquatic Center. Among other classes, they teach both sweep rowing and sculling, see http://www.missionbayaquaticcenter.com/rowing.htm . And after you complete their classes, you can rent from them.

Kodiak
Paddler

Post by Kodiak » June 15th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Thanks, David, for the info...and to all, for the welcome! C2 arrives today! :D

davidn
Paddler

Post by davidn » June 19th, 2006, 11:51 pm

Kodiak wrote:Thanks, David, for the info...and to all, for the welcome! C2 arrives today! :D
Hey Jim, how's yer new C2/D working out for you?

Kodiak
Paddler

Post by Kodiak » June 21st, 2006, 10:12 am

Hi David...

I love it. It's great. I'm not thrilled with the color, :lol: but other than that it's sweet. Ridiculously easy to set up (all of 8 screws...took me about 20 minutes), and the PM3 monitor w/Log Card is kinda cool. I'm extremely happy with it. Are you thinking of buying one yourself? If so, I give it two thumbs up.