A plug for a Xeno coaching session

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
dsikes
Paddler

Post by dsikes » May 31st, 2006, 12:47 am

xeno wrote:Thank you again Bill for your compliments and kind words.
Dskikes,

Hi

I imagine that slides are not used in competition because it creates more logistical problems, such as even floors etc. The cost of each venue would go up steeply. Keeping the ergo stationary is far more simple.

As for the reasons I use slides it is multifold.

I was introduced to slides in 2001 and immediately took to them because it felt more like rowing. But beyond this, it was far gentler on my body at the catch and at the finish. I no many who have switch to slides, and swear that rowing with them is FAR better for their lower backs. If rowed with proper technique either rower on slide or no slide is a great workout. But for people of the street, they ENJOY the smoothness of the rowing machine gliding back and forth. In addition your body does not move as much back and forth when you use slides, which makes talking to a rowing partner next to you more comfortable. In addition such activities as Rowing while TV viewing is ideal with slides.

I believe that Concept2 (C2 correct me if I am wrong) wants to market the rower as a simple stow away machine. If you throw slides into the mix you almost have to become a professional mover. I asked whether they would be interested in creating the rear slide as narrow as the rear leg of the ergo so that the rear slide takes up less space but I did not get an answer. This would be particularly useful for gyms and a place like our IRON OARSMAN.

I hope I was able to shed some light.

All the best,
XENO
Thank you Xeno.
Once I get the machine and row for awhile, I will look into the slides. Sounds neat and at age 61, my lower back might appreciate it. :)

Cayenne
1k Poster

Post by Cayenne » May 31st, 2006, 11:09 am

Xeno,

When you have a moment, please comment on use of the slides in conjunction with the Core Perform device. ( I have slides and I am considering the Core Perform. Your recent post about erging done properly being great for the back has inspired my C2 usage as low back/"core", issues are a foundation concern of my training.)

Thank you,

Eddie