Please give me some technique feedback

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
schweinlew
Paddler

Please give me some technique feedback

Post by schweinlew » May 21st, 2006, 4:27 pm

Hello All,

I have mustered the courage to release a couple of 1-minute videos of me on the erg. I have been rowing for about 4 years and am essentially self taught, though I owe many thanks to all the rowing authors and C2 forum folks out there. I especially owe thanks to Bob Bauge, Xeno Muller for his videos and Paul Smith for the C-breeze and the CorePerform.

The first video is with a fixed (Fx) CorePerform seat and the other is with the seat moving (Mv). Both are 24spm, ~185w.

I would appreciate any critique on my technique and any thoughts on the difference between my technique with Fx vs. Mv. (I think my Mx technique is better but am hesitant to believe my own assessment, because the Mv seat still feels a little squirrely to me.)

I am about 6'7" and 240lbs. Also, it may not be evident on the videos, but I broke my right ankle many years ago playing basketball in college and the ankle has very limited flexibility. In my boat I have to set the stretcher angle to ~37 degrees to get decent compression and a balanced drive. Despite this I can erg a sub-7 2k on a good day (PB = 6:49) and am happy with that. Still, I really would like to get better at both indoor and OTW rowing. I'd love to break 6:30 for a 2k and maybe win a regatta--something to justify my rowing frivolity to my wife!! I've been stretching--per the helpful advice I have received on this board. It seems to to be helping, so I'll keep at it.

Here they are, and thank you for any thoughts:

Fx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi7EEFG3I-8

Mv: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HglM4pTSeQ

(I have seen on this board the Coreperform seat toggle positions referred to as "stable" and "capsize" among other variations. Whenever I switch from Fx to Mv, I think of flipping.)

Will Schweinle
University of South Dakota Crew,
State Champions Six Years Running
http://www.usd.edu/orgs/crew/
Vermillion, SD

xeno
1k Poster

Hi from Xeno

Post by xeno » May 25th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Hello
Man, I did not know how tall you were.
Nice video footage.
When I watch you row I would want to tell you to hinge at the hip joint more. You might not be able to use your ankle as much, so getting a bit more forward body angle will be great for your overall stroke length. By using the forward body angle, while supporting the lower back, you will use the glut muscles to start the stroke with your leg drive. Is it at all possible for you to compress the legs a little more at the catch? Can you roll onto the ball of your feet? A general rule of thumb, which has some scientific reasoning, is to get the shins to vertical before you start the next stroke.
When are you coming to the Iron Oarsman for a coaching session.
I would keep going with comments but I have to go back home.
Great, to see the video!
XENO
Olympic Gold & Silver
www.indoor-rowing.blogspot.com
www.ironoarsman.com
You can call me at 949-400-7630.
5:53 2k 2004 now slower.

schweinlew
Paddler

Post by schweinlew » May 25th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Xeno,

What would be the best way to schedule a session with you? I am very busy these days, but the weekend of June 3rd and 4th might work. I think it wuold really help me before I go to the Craftsbury Center the week of the 25th (a present from my wife, who is surely among the most understanding of rowing widows).

I would have to fly out to Los Angeles from Sioux Falls, SD, Sioux City, IA or Omaha, NE. Would you suggest getting a room and staying overnight or trying to do it all in one day?

Will

xeno
1k Poster

Post by xeno » May 25th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Hello Will
We can work together on June 3rd.
If you want to do a lactate evaluation and a stroke analysis, then we would first proceed with lactate at 10AM and meet again at 1PM for the stroke analysis. How does this sound. By the way the best airport to fly to is SANTA ANA. We are ten minutes from the airport if that.
I look forward to seeing you.
Call me to finalize.
Sincerely,
XENO
Olympic Gold & Silver
www.indoor-rowing.blogspot.com
www.ironoarsman.com
You can call me at 949-400-7630.
5:53 2k 2004 now slower.

schweinlew
Paddler

Post by schweinlew » May 25th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Xeno,

It occurred to me that our conversation might be better suited to email than the forum, though I had thought others may be interested in how to go about setting up a coaching session with you. Either way ay email address is wschwein(insert "at" symbol)usd.edu.

(Hey, it could be worse. My wife, Amy, is "aschwein(insert "at" symbol)usd.edu."

Please let me know if there is room in your schedule for a session during the weekend of June 2nd and 3rd. If so, I'll head out your way.

Thank you very much,

Will

schweinlew
Paddler

Re: Hi from Xeno

Post by schweinlew » May 28th, 2006, 8:31 pm

xeno wrote:Hello
Man, I did not know how tall you were.
Nice video footage.
When I watch you row I would want to tell you to hinge at the hip joint more. You might not be able to use your ankle as much, so getting a bit more forward body angle will be great for your overall stroke length. By using the forward body angle, while supporting the lower back, you will use the glut muscles to start the stroke with your leg drive. Is it at all possible for you to compress the legs a little more at the catch? Can you roll onto the ball of your feet? A general rule of thumb, which has some scientific reasoning, is to get the shins to vertical before you start the next stroke.
When are you coming to the Iron Oarsman for a coaching session.
I would keep going with comments but I have to go back home.
Great, to see the video!
XENO
Xeno,

Thank you for the feedback. I look forward to meeting you next weekend.

Will